Prediction 2022 Rising Star

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Looking like a cracking 2022 race for the rising star.

Diacos, Rachelle & Martin were top self round 1 games.

Then you had Durdin, JHF, Ward, McDonald, Gibcus, Chapman & Ginnivan all having decent games and showed a lot of promise - I’m sure if missed players.

This is wide open IMO.

Rachelle with a BOG performance to get the round 1 nod.

Who is everyone’s prediction? Daicos off the back flank will get heaps of it and my tip to claim the award

Last edited:
Selection Criteria:
  • To be eligible for the award:
    → a Player must be under 21 years of age (1st January 2022) and played 10 or fewer games before the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.
  • In general, a Player judged to have played the best individual game of the round to be the basis of the weekly nomination.
  • When several players are judged to have played at a reasonably similar level, previous rounds / year to date performances are then taken into account.
  • The priority is to have the best performed 23 players nominated by the end of the season for consideration for the overall award. Therefore, in later rounds, year-to-date performances will be allocated increasing weight relative to performances in the round.
Weekly Selection Panel for 2022 NAB AFL Rising Star:
Kevin Sheehan (Chairperson), Nathan Buckley (new in 2022), Jude Bolton, Kane Cornes (new in 2022), Abbey Holmes (new in 2022), Chris Johnson.

Selectors will monitor all AFL matches noting 182 players across AFL lists are eligible for the award with one to be recognised each round.

2022 All-Australian Panel Selection Panel:
Gillon McLachlan (Chairperson), Kevin Bartlett, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, Kane Cornes, Andrew Dillon, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Nick Riewoldt, Kevin Sheehan (NAB AFL Rising Star only) and Brad Scott.

At the conclusion of the home-and-away season, each selector shall nominate the five-best performed eligible players from the weekly nominees based on their performance during the home and away matches.

Full list of eligible players attached in spreadsheet.

Attachments

• 2022_Players_Eligible_for_NAB_AFL_Rising_Star.xls
    55.5 KB · Views: 27
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Way too early to accurately predict a winner, but right now I would pick Nick Daicos.

But it's a very very small sample size.

It's good we are finding mature age/non drafted kids that slipped through the system too (like Hayes and Martin)
And now with top ups more could get a chance at the top level.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
from Hawthorn we have a few who might get nominated
Jai Newcombe
Josh Ward
Connor MacDonald
Denver Grainger-Barras

and a smokey from the pre-season Ned Long, has impressed a lot of people.

but i would say Rachelle (Adel) will get the round 1 nom, one of my favourites from 2019 where he dominated as an under under ager :D

JHF had some wonderful moments against us, Daicos looks good all pre-season and in his first game, Chapman is doing great things at Freo, theres a few at Freo who could be nominated, they have some serious young talent over there, its just whether they get the opportunities because they already have a steady mid table side.

Last edited:
from Hawthorn we have a few who might get nominated
Jai Newcombe
Josh Ward
Connor MacDonald
Denver Grainger-Barras

and a smokey from the pre-season Ned Long, has impressed a lot of people.

but i would say Rachelle (Adel) will get the round 1 nom, one of my favourites from 2019 where he dominated as an under under ager :D

JHF had some wonderful moments against us, Daicos looks good all pre-season and in his first game, Chapman is doing great things at Freo, theres a few at Freo who could be nominated, they have some serious young talent over there, its just whether they get the opportunities because they already have a steady mid table side.
Nic Martin got the round 1 Nomination.

very well deserved, of course. One of the few positives to come from that essendon performance.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Nic Martin got the round 1 Nomination.

very well deserved, of course. One of the few positives to come from that essendon performance.

fair enough, he and Tex Wanganeen looked good for Essendon in the pre-season, his 5 goal performance was pretty good too, i just assumed Rachelle would get the nom.

fair enough, he and Tex Wanganeen looked good for Essendon in the pre-season, his 5 goal performance was pretty good too, i just assumed Rachelle would get the nom.
Probably could have gone either way, but 5 goals, 27 disposals (89% DE), 10 marks, 8 score involvements. Probably hard to go past. But Rachele, mighty impressive as well. He won't be too far behind, just you know, preferrably not next weekend haha.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Probably could have gone either way, but 5 goals, 27 disposals (89% DE), 10 marks, 8 score involvements. Probably hard to go past. But Rachele, mighty impressive as well. He won't be too far behind, just you know, preferrably not next weekend haha.
Close call - Rachelle getting 9 coaches votes in a loss was incredible.

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
It's the usual RS logic - Rachele is likely to earn a nomination again so give it to the guy who might not (see Koschitzke over Thilthorpe last year). That then flips at the end of the year where they start handing it out to guys on overall performance rather than being the best in a given week (see Quaynor over Sholl the year before).

Either that or Kane Cornes is in charge and Adelaide can GAGF.

Back