Position 2022 Rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m not getting the Macrae love either. Seems blind hope from Collingwood fans based on him being “a bit bigger” this year.
He’s going to be a decent player eventually but it would take some serious transformation to make him hugely relevant at his price this year.

AFAIAC, he needs to get from the 58.25 he averaged in the four game patch he put together late last season up to 70 in order to be relevant. Not 'hugely' relevant, but not a bad pick.

So an increase of 12 points per game. I think he has that in him

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"Ever" lol. Of course AFL players get better from their first year to the following years.

His bro went from 63.1 year 1 to 100 year 2...

Finlay's form in his last couple of games was actually pretty good.

Anyways good luck with JHF mate. It's good for him that he'll be regarded as a forward in SC six weeks after the start. Makes him more relevant
1643080880172.png

Jack was ahead of his brother at an early age.
Being a brother of a good player does not equate to good player.
Finlay is going to take a little more time I reckon.

Ward or Finn Macrae ? ......will not be accepting the "why not both gif"

Don't have either ATM, too early to tell.

But I don't think anyone would be looking at Finlay if his last name was Smith.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sure but the point is that he got better. From his first to his second year. Like pretty much every other player ever.
Good luck with him. I hope he works out for you.
It is not the end of the world even if he averages 50. You will still make a little money.
But 50 would still be an improvement.
If he comes out in the Ansett cup and goes 80-80 he has improved his ceiling and is 100% a viable pick.
We wont really know much more until then anyways.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Re:Macrae it depends on how you value an extra preseason. He's the same price as JHF for example, does that extra year make him more likely to score better? Sounds like he'll be playing more midfield too. Stamina seemed his issue last year, which should have improved.

Arguing that he needs to average 80 is a little disingenuous though, as with all rookies (even starting at $200k) they only need a couple of spike games and their price shoots up. He could average 55 for 4-5 weeks then smash out a couple of tonnes and then he'll have made $150k.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure that will impact Ward too much. Running ability is one of his great strengths AFAIK.

There will be exceptions.

That's how I see Daicos.

FWIW while checking out footage of games ND played in at the end of last year, Ward continually impressed. 2nd best on ground a lot of the time. You have a good one I reckon

Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anyone actually think Finlay Macrae is a good pick other than Collingwood fans?

I'm sorry, but just like the Norf fans on here preaching LDU and every other spud on their list, i'm getting some nuffie vibes.

Why ask people not named Collingwood fans on their assumption of Fin Macrae? They don't follow the Pies, read training reports, look at vision of pre season and understand where we are as a football side. This team under McRae is going to be far different to the regime under Bucks and Harvey.
And the comparison to LDU is rubbish because North fans were claiming he was the next coming of Chris Judd. Nobody is saying Fin is going to average 110+ lmao

Fin will be a gun, I expect him to average >70, he won't get the rubbish forward pocket role with 3 minute stints on ball and 55% TOG that he was getting under Bucks, any Pies supporter that watched him closely last year saw we have a gem, his hands in traffic are just as good as his brothers, and he's 188cm and growing. Remember, he played in that stacked Oakleigh team with Rowell, Anderson and co but his stats and abilty when allowed on ball were astounding.

I think he comes on in leaps and bounds this year, upto you whether you don't. I'd be taking him over JHF personally.

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
YOU don't pick him ya silly w***er.

I don't think my reasons for picking him are about my being a Pies supporter.

It's more the two games in which he was a medisub and scored 6 both times.

They've dragged his average down to the point that he's as cheap as a rookie, but he has played AFL and has an extra preseason.

I don't think Alex Davies is a silly pick for the same reason.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why ask people not named Collingwood fans on their assumption of Fin Macrae? They don't follow the Pies, read training reports, look at vision of pre season and understand where we are as a football side. This team under McRae is going to be far different to the regime under Bucks and Harvey.
And the comparison to LDU is rubbish because North fans were claiming he was the next coming of Chris Judd. Nobody is saying Fin is going to average 110+ lmao

Fin will be a gun, I expect him to average >70, he won't get the rubbish forward pocket role with 3 minute stints on ball and 55% TOG that he was getting under Bucks, any Pies supporter that watched him closely last year saw we have a gem, his hands in traffic are just as good as his brothers, and he's 188cm and growing. Remember, he played in that stacked Oakleigh team with Rowell, Anderson and co but his stats and abilty when allowed on ball were astounding.

I think he comes on in leaps and bounds this year, upto you whether you don't. I'd be taking him over JHF personally.

I think that would be a mistake personally. But a lot of people are cooling on JHF it seems.

JHF is almost a certainty to become Mid/Fwd after the first review and his JS is almost guaranteed, even as a half forward.

Is Macrae undroppable? I very much doubt it if Collingwood get a few pastings early in the season.

JHF suits SC much more than AFL Fantasy also.

Im expecting him to lead all rookies in goals, goal assists and probably even tackles this season, all big scoring statistics.

I think JHF will have a similar impact, in a similar role to Gulden this year.

Approx 15d , 1g, 1 GA per game. Gulden averaged 76 with a statline slightly less than that and maxed out at $390k.

Last edited:

I don't think my reasons for picking him are about my being a Pies supporter.

It's more the two games in which he was a medisub and scored 6 both times.

They've dragged his average down to the point that he's as cheap as a rookie, but he has played AFL and has an extra preseason.

I don't think Alex Davies is a silly pick for the same reason.

Yep no worries guys. Cheers.

Great work out there.

giphy.gif

Feb 2, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think that would be a mistake personally. But a lot of people are cooling on JHF it seems.

JHF is almost a certainty to become Mid/Fwd after the first review and his JS is almost guaranteed, even as a half forward.

Is Macrae is undroppable? I very much doubt it if Collingwood get a few pastings early in the season.

Im expecting him to lead all rookies in goals, goal assists and probably even tackles this season, all big scoring statistics.

I'm not saying I won't be picking JHF because I will but if I was choosing one it would be Macrae between the two of them.
Don't think it really matters what happens after 6 weeks, he should be 300-350k and ready for milking by then regardless, I don't see JHF as a last stepping stone playing a forward role.

Yes Macrae is undroppable. Does not matter if we cop pastings, we are in a rebuild so his spot is safe.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams

Is Macrae undroppable? I very much doubt it if Collingwood get a few pastings early in the season.

I think JHF will have a similar impact, in a similar role to Gulden this year.

Approx 15d , 1g, 1 GA per game. Gulden averaged 76 with a statline slightly less than that and maxed out at $390k.
Gulden started at $117k though, much lower risk.

To play devils advocate, JHF is playing half forward in a team that could easily finish last again.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gulden started at $117k though, much lower risk.

To play devils advocate, JHF is playing half forward in a team that could easily finish last again.

He sure could.

To counter it, his last game at half forward in a SANFL prelim was 168 SC points, in a losing side.

He's a bit of a unique player, it's hard to compare him to anyone, even Gulden tbh, we won't really know if the hype is real until the warmup games, where I expect he is held back a bit, given he's coming off Covid lockdown a week or so ago.

Personally, I think the space in transition of AFL games is going to suit him down to the ground. He's going to be impossible to stop once he gets goal side of his defender, as I've witnessed in training so far. He's very creative with the ball and has abnormal composure for a rookie, probably due to the amount of senior footy he has played.

He's going to try and run though some AFL players and get taught a lesson, no doubt, but in space he is just too damn quick for most half backs.

I think a lot of people are understandably burnt by someone like Rayner etc as that low output permanent forward, but on match sim viewing he really is going to be playing nothing like that deep forward role at all. From the sample size I've seen, he's gotten 90% of his ball between the wing and F50 arc and is the final kicker into the F50. Been very alert at getting the overlap handball to receive off a mark 70m out from goal and bursts towards 50 for a shot or to hit up a leading target.

Maybe someone like Rozee's role is a better comparison.

When he goes to top gear to receive a handball receive, he's got Judd/Danger sort of burst speed. His kicking has been elite in all the match sim that I've seen also, that was a question mark in some circles pre-draft, but I haven't seen that in admittedly only pre-season stuff so far. Should see more in 5 weeks and a full blown intra-club in a fortnight or so.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
To counter it, his last game at half forward in a SANFL prelim was 168 SC points, in a losing side.
That was a one-off, which doesn't define his season .....think you'll find a greater proportion of the season was just average SC scores .....now in discussions in the Draft thread, the reason outlined was the roles South Adelaide had him doing

The likelihood is he'll be asked to play similar roles at North ......you have already got an excellent developing Midfield

Obviously proviso's in Cunnington and Jed Anderson's futures .....plus, I'm playing Powell in the midfield B4 JHF THIS YEAR

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
He sure could.

He's a bit of a unique player, it's hard to compare him to anyone, even Gulden tbh, we won't really know if the hype is real until the warmup games, where I expect he is held back a bit, given he's coming off Covid lockdown a week or so ago.

Personally, I think the space in transition of AFL games is going to suit him down to the ground. He's going to be impossible to stop once he gets goal side of his defender, as I've witnessed in training so far. He's very creative with the ball and has abnormal composure for a rookie, probably due to the amount of senior footy he has played.

He's going to try and run though some AFL players and get taught a lesson, no doubt, but in space he is just too damn quick for most half backs.

I think a lot of people are understandably burnt by someone like Rayner etc as that low output permanent forward, but on match sim viewing he really is going to be playing nothing like that deep forward role at all. From the sample size I've seen, he's gotten 90% of his ball between the wing and F50 arc and is the final kicker into the F50. Been very alert at getting the overlap handball to receive off a mark 70m out from goal and bursts towards 50 for a shot or to hit up a leading target.

Maybe someone like Rozee's role is a better comparison.

When he goes to top gear to receive a handball receive, he's got Judd/Danger sort of burst speed. His kicking has been elite in all the match sim that I've seen also, that was a question mark in some circles pre-draft, but I haven't seen that in admittedly only pre-season stuff so far. Should see more in 5 weeks and a full blown intra-club in a fortnight or so.
I get that he's going to be a gun, and North fans are fizzing about him. But he's an 18 year old kid playing in the team that finished last, and the coach has said he'll play mainly forward. Most AFL teams have a fast smallish defender, I doubt he'll run away from blokes like Saad, Markov, or Bews.

Anyway, I don't think he's a bad pick necessarily. I don't want to argue against him, pick him by all means. I got into this more due to the poo-poo'ing of Fin Macrae.

Lord De Goey

All Australian
Jun 4, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Macrae isn't a lock in my side but he is definitely under consideration. I don't think its fair to look as his scores from last season, when they weren't a true reflection of how he played. For example, the 41 against the Eagles. Quarters 1-3, he had 6 touches, in a nothing role. Yet in the 4th Bucks put him in the middle and he dominated, getting 12 touches. Buckley was notorious for playing kids out of position and not giving them a real crack. Assuming Mcrae plays him in the guts, i can at least understand why you'd want to pick him. The potential is definitely there. Oh and as far as i'm aware, coming out of the draft, Fin was held in higher regard than his brother.

Macrae isn't a lock in my side but he is definitely under consideration. I don't think its fair to look as his scores from last season, when they weren't a true reflection of how he played. For example, the 41 against the Eagles. Quarters 1-3, he had 6 touches, in a nothing role. Yet in the 4th Bucks put him in the middle and he dominated, getting 12 touches. Buckley was notorious for playing kids out of position and not giving them a real crack. Assuming Mcrae plays him in the guts, i can at least understand why you'd want to pick him. The potential is definitely there. Oh and as far as i'm aware, coming out of the draft, Fin was held in higher regard than his brother.
Usually a pretty good reason first year kids aren’t plonked into the guts…they get mauled.

Jack was pick 6 too so not sure Fin was rated higher.

To be fair, the wheels had whel and truly fallen off the Eagles at that point. They were hardly competitive. The worst team in the AFL could've beaten them.

In fact they (Norf) did. At home. The following week. State level teams could have rolled the eagles after the bye in 2021, they completely gave up.

Bucks putting him in the midfield could've meant something, or it could've meant absolutely nothing. Hard to tell. The game was over before half time.

Lord De Goey

All Australian
Jun 4, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Usually a pretty good reason first year kids aren’t plonked into the guts…they get mauled.

Jack was pick 6 too so not sure Fin was rated higher.
Not saying he needed to play there permanently but he was often put in a fwd pocket with next to no impact. Buckley just had his favourites.

Also draft position from drafts so far apart is irrelevant, especially when you factor in covid. Jack said this about his brother

“He’s probably more skilful and a bit more versatile (than me) I think,” Jack Macrae told Sportsday.

I don't think its outlandish for Fin to average 75+ this year, depending on role. He definitely passes the eye test and plays so similar to his brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back