Position 2022 Rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darcy averaged 128 second half of the year, and that included 61 in the last round when he was injured. That game was actually encouraging in that he toughed it out and finished the game despite being hurt. Being a soft-utensil seemed to be his biggest issue previously. Hard to ignore his scoring though. He's my R1.

Was a really pisser that he missed round 1 and we all missed his breakout year jumping from 78 to 118!

Yes I think if Marshall is Ruc/Fwd again next year then Darcy is well worth the risk being able to cover him if he does get injured.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Goat is going to be a ******* big unit in a few years.

With his hyper athleticism, if he has a good NAB Cup, he could push for a Rnd 1 spot.

He will be a Def/Mid also imo.

1638262466661.png

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

With his hyper athleticism, if he has a good NAB Cup, he could push for a Rnd 1 spot.

View attachment 1290095
I really really like the look of Goater ....wanted ADEL to get him ...an absolute bargain at his pick

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks

View attachment 1290095
Good choice of hats to hide the horrible haircuts :thumbsu:

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Some of the pundits had him in the top 10...almost as big a bargain as Draper :moustache:
Has height, pace, and a great mark ....some questioned whether he was just a HBF , as if that was his role this year ....but in fact his BEST football was as a mid, with great centre clearances where his pace allows him to break out of congestion

His main query is his kicking .....If you don't like Taranto, you may want to close your eyes

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Im not sure he is that good.
I feel I may be over rating him a tad out of hatred for Josh Walker at CHB
No your not overrating him ....majority of the ADEL board was happy to take Goater in the top 10

Question is will he get midfield opportunities at North .....failure to do so, may stunt his development

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Good choice of hats to hide the horrible haircuts :thumbsu:
What about our Draftee, Luke Nankervis .....bucket hat, and the Padawan braid ....his life ambition is to be a Jedi (true)

I like different "cats" ....anyway his nickname is looking to be "skywalker"

1638265302011.png

Possible Essendon rookies -

You have the obvious one in Ben Hobbs, looks to be a ready made midfielder. If he does get a start in round 1 I’m not sure how much midfield opportunity he’ll get, which could be off putting considering the price tag.

Garrett McDonagh - Should be listed as a defender, might get mid DPP. Sounds like he is a Daniel Rich type, and at 25 I don’t think we drafted him to play in the 2s.

Zach Reid is in modified training at the moment, but he should play plenty of games throughout the year. Likely a downgrade target, although I’m not sure how the price tag will look after his one game last year.

Kaine Baldwin is the left field pick. We picked him up in the SSP last year and he is build like a man mountain. Physically ready key forward, was touted as a first round talent but was injury plagued through both his draft year and the year before that. Is over the injuries now, apparently played well in his two VFL games late last year and has stood out in preseason early. Likely downgrade target.

That said none of these guys are round 1 locks at this stage, I wouldn’t have any (barring maybe Hobbs/Reid) in the 22 if I were to pick our best side today.

Eddie Ford (back left) lost a bet last year at the club. He got to choose between shaving his head and getting a perm.
He got the perm.
18 year olds don't necessarily make all the right decisions.
You're omitting the part where he carried it like a legend and it suited his unique personality!!!

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
No your not overrating him ....majority of the ADEL board was happy to take Goater in the top 10

Question is will he get midfield opportunities at North .....failure to do so, may stunt his development
Touted as a half back interceptor and lacks the tank for midfield. Definitely interested to see him play midfield.

Can’t think of too many rookie options at north beyond JHF, who will cost a bit for a rookie.

Goater and Curtis lack tanks, Archer is raw and not really SC relevant and Bergman is raw and very skinny. Of the four names, I would say Bergman is the most likely followed by Curtis.

Second year options may present options later in the season. Spicer has bulked up (is a small forward so not really SC relevant). Eddie Ford likewise, but as a taller medium forward should get some afl level games due to his speed and marking ability. Patrick Walker has to fight multiple people for a hb/wing spot, so not relevant atm. Phillips, Lazzaro and Powell will likely be too expensive as rookie options. The latter may be a good lower mid price option if that is your go.

Matt McGuinness may get games as a rebounding KPD type having grown to 197cm, and being talked up by coaches because of his lovely kicking. See and wait during the preseason like most kids. Flynn Perez is another option as a rebounding hb. Smashed by injuries, he is highly rated by the club and posters due to his hardness, class and leg speed. If he stays injury free, definitely a defensive option.

Last edited:

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I did say Goater's an athletic animal ....190cm, fast ...has all the attributes to be a great player

There needs to be a category above "elite" athleticism. He's in that.

Kind of like what Koutoufides, Brennan and Fyfe existed in.

There was some contested match sim and he murdered Simpkin, LDU and others in the contested stuff. His agility and speed in close is something else for his size.

Some guys are extremely athletic but don't really use it in game, he just jumps right out as soon as you watch him in the flesh. He's a bit of a unicorn.

Last edited:

Ingy

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Kai Lohmann's price would have to be wrong there, surely.

I reckon they've gotten carried away subtracting 4.5k from the last bloke's price.

From Lohmann down they'll all be 123,900, won't they?

Kai Lohmann's price would have to be wrong there, surely.

I reckon they've gotten carried away subtracting 4.5k from the last bloke's price.

From Lohmann down they'll all be 123,900, won't they?

I think 2nd year and above players are $123,900 except for rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back