Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
I can't see it myself McDonagh emailed all the clubs in desperation to get picked up after 8 years. Looking on the Essendon Board no one has him in the starting 22 let alone being the designated kicker from full back.

Think its a good sign, wants to play AFL bad.

Knightmare thinks he might be taking the kickouts for the Bombers as early as Rd1 :think:

Dunno about the kick outs, but don't think many teams would use a ND pick on a bloke that will be 26 next year if they don't think he could slot straight in.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I can't see it myself McDonagh emailed all the clubs in desperation to get picked up after 8 years. Looking on the Essendon Board no one has him in the starting 22 let alone being the designated kicker from full back.
That said, I do agree there has to be an immediate reason to draft McDonaugh .....otherwise draft a project player

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where did these stats come from? No adult professional sportsman is improving their top end speed by 25% in one year unless he was coming off serious injury. The only adult humans that could do that would be obese people losing 20-30% of their bodyweight.

Would be the equivalent of a basketball player struggling to touch the rim one year to dunking like prime Michael Jordan the next.
They came from the speedprojectmelb on Insta.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Think its a good sign, wants to play AFL bad.
I do too .....you mean I should write a lot of letters & I'll be successful :)

giphy.gif

That said, I do agree there has to be an immediate reason to draft McDonaugh .....otherwise draft a project player

It will be interesting to see and I am like everyone else hoping for a rookie in defence to play on the ground but they already have a decent backline so wonder where he would fit in.

Laverde,Stewart,Francis
Heppell,Ridley,Hind
Kelly,Redman,Cutler
As well as Guelfi and Hurley who could come back.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It will be interesting to see and I am like everyone else hoping for a rookie in defence to play on the ground but they already have a decent backline so wonder where he would fit in.

Laverde,Stewart,Francis
Heppell,Ridley,Hind
Kelly,Redman,Cutler
As well as Guelfi and Hurley who could come back.
Don't rate Guelfi, Cutler so he could be ahead of them.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Knightmare thinks he might be taking the kickouts for the Bombers as early as Rd1 :think:

We'll have to see whether McDonagh is used at AFL level or if he is used for taking kickouts, but that's certainly how I'd be utilising him if he can find a spot in Essendon's defence, having not only seen him in the VFL last year but also watched him as a junior. He's an instant top-5 level kick in the competition. I'd be looking to give him early opportunity during the pre-season to see if he can earn a spot, capable as Essendon's defence already is.

I look forward to hopefully seeing him during the preseason on an AFL field. There is no reason his play shouldn't translate.

Just find some highlights on McDonagh and you'll instantly see what I mean about his kick. Daniel Rich 2.0 stuff. He's someone you actively look to get the ball into the hands of to generate meaningful, fast, penetrating and consistent drive from defence. That's what he does and how he plays.

I'm more than happy to be his biggest fan until others realise he can slot in and be a piece if selected for senior games.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
We'll have to see whether McDonagh is used at AFL level or if he is used for taking kickouts, but that's certainly how I'd be utilising him if he can find a spot in Essendon's defence, having not only seen him in the VFL last year but also watched him as a junior. He's an instant top-5 level kick in the competition. I'd be looking to give him early opportunity during the pre-season to see if he can earn a spot, capable as Essendon's defence already is.

I look forward to hopefully seeing him during the preseason on an AFL field. There is no reason his play shouldn't translate.

Just find some highlights on McDonagh and you'll instantly see what I mean about his kick. Daniel Rich 2.0 stuff. He's someone you actively look to get the ball into the hands of to generate meaningful, fast, penetrating and consistent drive from defence. That's what he does and how he plays.

I'm more than happy to be his biggest fan until others realise he can slot in and be a piece if selected for senior games.

I really hope you're right about him because he's exactly what we've been missing as far as Def rookies go for the last few years. AFL ready, mature aged, elite, designated kicker. Although it's a bit of a double edged sword SC wise since many of us are hoping that with the recruitment of Jake Kelly that Ridley will be freed up a bit to "generate meaningful, fast, penetrating and consistent drive from defence" as well as take the bulk of the kickouts as he did in the early rounds of last season before his concussion injury and subsequent role change on his return.

Jan 18, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
They came from the speedprojectmelb on Insta.

These guys look professional but I'm still extremely sceptical. You can't possibly improve top end speed by so much in such a short time. Even with steroids you wouldn't see such a dramatic improvement. It's like those investment opportunities that promise huge returns in a short time. Too good to be true.

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood

He’ll have to do a lot right to jump the pack. Hind was a revelation last year as a line Breaker with his neat disposal. If they have room for both of them then good luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Brady Hough is another mid would should play a fair bit.
We've been using him in training across the half back and has slotted in seamlessly.

Need a Shep replacement too.

View attachment 1302981
What's the word on Greg Clarke and his short-term prospects ?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I really hope you're right about him because he's exactly what we've been missing as far as Def rookies go for the last few years. AFL ready, mature aged, elite, designated kicker. Although it's a bit of a double edged sword SC wise since many of us are hoping that with the recruitment of Jake Kelly that Ridley will be freed up a bit to "generate meaningful, fast, penetrating and consistent drive from defence" as well as take the bulk of the kickouts as he did in the early rounds of last season before his concussion injury and subsequent role change on his return.

It's going to be fascinating to see who will be part of Essendon's defence.

Ridley and Hind are the stars. Kelly as per your thinking would be the shutdown option and take that most dangerous general forward. If McDonagh is looking best-22 calibre, I'd be releasing Heppell into the midfield to add to the midfield, as the back half would be fine without him.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's going to be fascinating to see who will be part of Essendon's defence.

Ridley and Hind are the stars. Kelly as per your thinking would be the shutdown option and take that most dangerous general forward. If McDonagh is looking best-22 calibre, I'd be releasing Heppell into the midfield to add to the midfield, as the back half would be fine without him.

While we have you here mate, feel free to post your pre-season SC team in the thread link below :):thumbsu:

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
While we have you here mate, feel free to post your pre-season SC team in the thread link below :):thumbsu:

I'll make a team for my YouTube once Supercoach opens. I'm not a Herald Sun subscriber, so I'll wait until the official open.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, and I can here for a quick spoiler, but I'm expecting my midfield to be very rookie heavy for Supercoach, with that being where the rookie value is and a really high concentration of likely capable scorers.

My AFL Fantasy team build I couldn't fit all the rookie midfielders in as the money had to go somewhere.

Brady Hough is another mid who should play a fair bit.
We've been using him in training across the half back and has slotted in seamlessly.

Need a Shep replacement too.

View attachment 1302981

Dafuq.

Pass the doobie around, no chance that string bean plays early, let alone in the mid, let alone in 2022.

1) Simpson doesn't play kids (because he's insane and thinks we're still a good team + he won't drop senior players)
2) There are many other fringe players B22 ahead of Hough in the half back line. (Rotham, Foley, Nelson, Witherden)
3) He's legit our skinniest draftee, therefore will need 8 years before our S&C guys get him ready to play
3) If Hough plays in 2022, i'll eat my chol.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Dafuq.

Pass the doobie around, no chance that string bean plays early, let alone in the mid, let alone in 2022.

1) Simpson doesn't play kids (because he's insane and thinks we're still a good team + he won't drop senior players)
2) There are many other fringe players B22 ahead of Hough in the half back line. (Rotham, Foley, Nelson, Witherden)
3) He's legit our skinniest draftee, therefore will need 8 years before our S&C guys get him ready to play
3) If Hough plays in 2022, i'll eat my chol.
I look forward to you eating your Chol mate. He'll play enough to make us some moolah.
Stepped up at every level and I'm hearing some very good things from people directly connected.

Maybe an Av bet??

Last edited:
I look forward to you eating your Chol mate. He'll play enough to make us some moolah.
Stepped up at every level and I'm hearing some very good things from people directly connected.

Maybe an Av bet??
Chol bet me thinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back