Autopsy 2022 Round 1 - Blues BEAT the Tigers. The drought is over!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy has finally become the player that most thought he would be.
You know how extremely happy this makes me ? He did a club interview with ‘the beast’ prior to his debut & spoke of his beliefs - I took a small christian based momento down for him a few days prior to his 1st game to let him know someone out there would be supporting him no matter what. To see what he has gone thru with injury, form, coaching or a lack of it (in my opinion) social media & “supporters” not supporting, going to reserves games- to now seeing him really, really becoming a key mid for us, well I feel real so much joy for him, could almost say I’m proud of the man he is.

You know how extremely happy this makes me ? He did a club interview with ‘the beast’ prior to his debut & spoke of his beliefs - I took a small christian based momento down for him a few days prior to his 1st game to let him know someone out there would be supporting him no matter what. To see what he has gone thru with injury, form, coaching or a lack of it (in my opinion) social media & “supporters” not supporting, going to reserves games- to now seeing him really, really becoming a key mid for us, well I feel real so much joy for him, could almost say I’m proud of the man he is.
I liked the look of him as a footballer from when he first came across from gws. I still remember he was brought in to help crippa and we were excited about that. More recently some were saying him and crippa cant play together and now we can see that aint true at all. They are working beautifully together.

I liked the look of him as a footballer from when he first came across from gws. I still remember he was brought in to help crippa and we were excited about that. More recently some were saying him and crippa cant play together and now we can see that aint true at all. They are working beautifully together.

From his player thread here, back in October 2017:

Just ran into an ex teammate of mine who is currently playing NEAFL and asked him about Kennedy. His exact words.. "he's a ******* animal" I asked if it would translate into AFL and he cut me off to say again.. "he's a ******* animal"

It’s taken time, but after a few years of issues with injury, form, being played out of position, being delisted and rookied… he’s arrived.

Well, I’ve ordered my 2022 Carlton Premiership t-shirt. 😅
We have to get past Melbourne and Brisbane imho.
I thought before the pre-season 4th or 5th type of finish realistic aims for season with the thinking it would take a good half a season to be able to develop the cohesion needed under a new coaching group so top four spot maybe out of reach if only 5 or 6 win in first dozen games of the season. Nice to see it seems to becoming a cohesive unit quicker. I still think that second key defence spot is where we could fall short of what I hope. Would not be comfortable going into a grand final with Oscar a key defender unless he develops something crazy in next number of months. My hopes are more with Lewis Young, Marchbank or some mid season rookie draft selection.
We have the rest of pieces in place to go far. Just tidy up the bits that allowed Bolton to get off chain a bit too much and we can go further.
Demons, Lions and Dogs a lock for top four. We are in the running for other spot with a number of clubs.
Win 7 or 8 out of first eleven matches and sky the limit as season goes on.
1 win under the belt is a nice start.

So much to love but I'll try to keep it brief:

Going into the game with some real confidence and hope that we could actually win.

Our new recruits slotting right in and absolutely dominating, massive tick.

Doc: Just wow..what a performance. Loved watching his goal split the middle and I may have got a tad emotional during the standing ovation.

Crippa getting back to his best, enough said.

Bam Bam, love watching him play and his continued improvement.

Carrying on like an absolute dill towards the end of the last quarter was pretty fun. I don't remember scenes like that after a game in a long time, the stadium was packed long after the final siren.

The city streets were buzzing after the game, so many happy Blues fans.

Driving into work and seeing a kid walking to school wearing a Blues scarf made me smile.

Walking around work and see one of my Carlton mad kids, say good morning..his reply 'da da da da da'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can anyone post a still of the fourfive carlton players all in a row running defensively at 11.15 in the last? an amazing scene...........

Last edited:
Watched the game again with the emotion dialled down. Was a wonderful feeling whenever I saw terrible umpiring to be able to reflect that it finally didn’t matter - WE WON.

Loved how our boys milked 50s, but as a footy purist I think the rules and umpiring is terrible (no hands in the back paid but Toons gets a soft free kick in front of the goal for who knows what)

as a Carlton supporter - who gives a * - WE WON

I thought the backline was a lot better without Jones. Sure, OMac will get beaten in one-on-ones, but they are pretty rare with our structure. Jones had such a tendency to run past the ball, leave his man, and get caught out of position and it killed us - not just in the immediate play but through others second guessing themselves because they need to cover.

Mcgovern also just a straight upgrade over Plowman in the third tall spot. He's so much better in the air when he can just sit behind the play and wait for it to come to him as a defender.

also notable was how many weapons we have to get the ball out of defence. Last year Jones and Plowman were liabilities kicking the ball, Williams was never really fit (and in the midfield early on), Docherty was out of form and also often playing on the wing. Now we have McGovern and Weitering who are excellent long range kicks. Williams and Saad can both provide run. Docherty does a bit of both - reliable in possession and can start a chain of possession.

Richmond's presure forwards never caused us problems - its incredible how notable that was - and I think those weapons are a bit part of it. If they push up too high we can kick our way out long. If they sit back we can run through the pressure that is there with reliable, veteran players. Weirdly, this would have been the perfect Teague team (he just never had the personnel fit and in the right positions to do it)
Who is to say that Jones wouldn’t be improved as others have under this system. Can we just leave this false narrative alone.

can anyone post a still of the four carlton players all in a row running defensively at 11.15 in the last? an amazing scene...........
It was amazing wasn't it? You almost had to blink to be sure you were really seeing it.

The short hit up to leading forwards at various stages of the game were similar for me. It was like, did I really just see that?

He can be an absolute weapon on the wing if he can use his pace to his advantage. That kick into the forward line in the second would have left lace marks on TDK's chest if Durdin hadn't cut in and took the mark. If he can do that 4 or 5 times a game, he's worth keeping there. There is a player there, he just needs to be worked on to bring it out.
We needed him as the distributor into forward 50, instead of Cripps.

Delighted for Vossy. He made his mistakes at Brisbane (though I'd say trying to go all in and win with the last few years of Brown, Black and Power is very understandable) but I don't think he was a bad coach. He had to deal with horrendous drafting in the years post premierships and a list lacking in quality once the stars aged. Probably was too soon for him to be a senior coach too.

I think he'll be very good for you guys given what you have in your spine and his apprenticeship and its great to see someone get a second chance.

Matthew Kennedy, George Hewett, Adam Cerra, Patrick Cripps.
Michael Voss.
Michael Voss. “Sam Walsh”.

Delighted for Vossy. He made his mistakes at Brisbane (though I'd say trying to go all in and win with the last few years of Brown, Black and Power is very understandable) but I don't think he was a bad coach. He had to deal with horrendous drafting in the years post premierships and a list lacking in quality once the stars aged. Probably was too soon for him to be a senior coach too.

I think he'll be very good for you guys given what you have in your spine and his apprenticeship and its great to see someone get a second chance.
plus fevola

Back