Autopsy 2022 Round 1 - GWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, Accor Stadium, Saturday 19th March, 5.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

some thoughts now that I’m finally home.

1. they need a better traffic management system for P1
2. We can’t use Riccardi and Green as chop-outs - we must use a combination of 2 of Preuss/Flynn/Briggs
3. Buddy is still Phil’s b*tch
4. was it just me or was Whitfield quiet tonight?
5. Cogs did some really nice things - welcome back
6. Tom Green will at some stage in his career, win a brownlow.
7. Bobby still does some amazing things, but goes missing for far too long as well.
8. MdB and O’Keefe should only be playing when there are injuries.
9. One of Harry’s better games (in the first half - what was he doing down back in the second?)
10. We missed some goals we should have nailed - Brander, Riccardi, Taranto, Hill, XO late but he was trying to be quick given the time left - that was the difference, we nail three or four of those and it’s a different result.
11. we were nowhere near our best and still kicked over 90 points - do that most weeks and you‘ll win most weeks.
12. that’s one impressively large scoreboard they got goin on there
13. they need to radically overhaul the PA system - my ears are still bleeding.

but hey - footy is back and I got to see it up close and live - so it’s not all bad.

It was a pretty good atmosphere at the ground and we definitely weren't embarrassed.
We lost crucial clearances after half-time and the Swannies hands were super quick in close.
Flynn was made to look slow and ordinary. He will learn.
Might be simplistic, but I think if Hogan and Haynes played, it would have been a 4 goal swing to the Giants.

Here’s my two cents worth.

1. The Olympic Stadium was a mistake. Giving away home ground advantage for a 25k attendance is a bad call. And as a Member it was far less pleasant than being at GS.

2. The stats suggest it was an even game, as does the total shots being equal for both teams. However, we’re back to 2-3 quarter football with mid-fwd connectivity and potency collapsing in Q4.

3. I agree we now need to play two rucks. Pruess must come in now after suspension to join Flynn

4. There is a lack of desperation in our front half. The Swans were hungrier and more efficient.

5. Our season is in serious danger after R1. Being 1 and 4 is a real danger for us before TFG returns.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
The scoreboard listing Finlayson was laughable, but when they listed Papley as starting for the Swans it was even worse.

Pretty sure it was the team lists from the finals game last year.

How does the crowd compare to NSW NRL games out of interest?
NRL games don’t tend to attract large crowds. I’ve been to many Souths games at ANZ/Accor over the years and the crowds aren’t massive, and the atmosphere is no where near what you get at games like today’s Sydney derby.

How does the crowd compare to NSW NRL games out of interest?
I've been to one regular season NRL game with a mate at Accor. It only had about 10k - it was like playing in an empty fridge.

SoO and finals are obviously different.

Being at the game I thought Ash and XO were quiet however looking at the stat sheet and you would think at least one of them won’t get a game next week. 15 between them.

I think Ash could be in trouble. His stat line is pretty ordinary. 8 disposals 46m gain, 3 tackles, no inside 50’s no clearances. Give Angwin a start. He is a runner in the mould of Whitfield and his draft writeup was about creativity with the ball.

I knew we were in trouble when Parker kicked those two goals late in the third quarter, which gave them the lead. You could sense the game turning.

From the 13th minute mark of Q3, the Swans kicked seven goals to our one, including a run of six unanswered goals, when we could only manage three behinds. That was the game.

Haynes was a really big out.

Being at the game I thought Ash and XO were quiet however looking at the stat sheet and you would think at least one of them won’t get a game next week. 15 between them.

I think Ash could be in trouble. His stat line is pretty ordinary. 8 disposals 46m gain, 3 tackles, no inside 50’s no clearances. Give Angwin a start. He is a runner in the mould of Whitfield and his draft writeup was about creativity with the ball.
I'd give Ash at least another few weeks to work through it a bit but if he keeps not performing then he'll have to be dropped, give Angwin a try, if Callaghan is fit and performing well in 2s I wouldn't be scared to give him a try

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a positive note, good to see Kane Cornes give Phil a massive wrap and say he demanded Brownlow votes yesterday.

In a sane world, the pre-game media coverage would be ‘How Will Franklin cope with Phil?’.

The evidence of years of derby games proves Phil owns him.

My personal match highlight yesterday was being seated on the east wing and, on a rare occasion where Franklin had led and marked ahead of Phil, watching Lance fumble the grab out of play.

Phil’s laughing response was priceless!

Not sure if it is a typo but on the stats Swans only interchanged 48 times v 68 for the Giants and neither team activated the sub
A good sign for the Swans but not the Giants if that is correct

It’s such a shame and why it makes me nervous if we continue with the experiment. Play people in position don’t just try and squeeze the top 22 based on draft position into the side.
I’m not sure what experiment you mean?

Reminded me a bit of last years final with the key difference being the swans took there chances this time but both times it look like we ran out gas after the first 10 minutes of the 3rd qtr. Also got to say that Brander's lack competitiveness in any contest was rather disappointing and when it comes to competitiveness a player either has it or they don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back