Autopsy 2022 Round 10 - GWS Giants v West Coast Eagles, 2.10 pm Sunday 22 May @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed the game, what's the general takeaways? Any real change in how things looked with the ball movement, seems like Cogs put up big numbers as a midfielder, how HH look down back? Wehr on debut? Any other positional changes?

Missed the game, what's the general takeaways? Any real change in how things looked with the ball movement, seems like Cogs put up big numbers as a midfielder, how HH look down back? Wehr on debut? Any other positional changes?
They had some good movement, including through the centre. Not quite "orange tsunami", but pretty good. However, it's hard to tell how much was our guys playing better, and how much was Eagles not being good. In the end, we probably let Eagles score too many points.

Cogs did a great job in the middle, ran well, and passed well (recorded 92% DE) - hopefully he can keep that up against Lachie Neale & co.

HH was very good down back. Did one barrel from a kick out that went past the centre circle. Presumably that keeps him there next week.

Wehr had a good debut, generally used the ball well to the eye, but his stats are only middling. Kicked a goal courtesy of Zac Sproule passing to him inside 50 from a set shot.

Peatling was great up front - 3 goals was the highest goalkicker, but also tackled, pressured and took marks.

Hogan was pretty good as was Sproule, who did pretty much what he did last year when he played his block of games.

Everything the new coaching team tried seemed to work OK or better, but I think we need to be cautious given the opposition.

In short, everything both individually and collectively was better and a LOT more enjoyable.

Faster ball movement, fewer errors, more aggression exiting D50 and entering I50.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They had some good movement, including through the centre. Not quite "orange tsunami", but pretty good. However, it's hard to tell how much was our guys playing better, and how much was Eagles not being good. In the end, we probably let Eagles score too many points.

Cogs did a great job in the middle, ran well, and passed well (recorded 92% DE) - hopefully he can keep that up against Lachie Neale & co.

HH was very good down back. Did one barrel from a kick out that went past the centre circle. Presumably that keeps him there next week.

Wehr had a good debut, generally used the ball well to the eye, but his stats are only middling. Kicked a goal courtesy of Zac Sproule passing to him inside 50 from a set shot.

Peatling was great up front - 3 goals was the highest goalkicker, but also tackled, pressured and took marks.

Hogan was pretty good as was Sproule, who did pretty much what he did last year when he played his block of games.

Everything the new coaching team tried seemed to work OK or better, but I think we need to be cautious given the opposition.
Perryman one of the leaders in CBA's, put up good numbers how'd he look on ball?

I'm taking nothing from this game. We've already flogged Gold Coast and Adelaide. We're going to flog North Melbourne and probably Essendon. It's all academic unless we can show up against actually good teams.

Thought he was pretty solid, scrapped hard in the contest (as you'd expect). Speed will always be an issue for him, but he always worked both ways (at least IMHO) and tackled hard.
He was better than pretty solid imo. He had 30 and kicked a goal. His decision making in the clinches was excellent. Importantly, he is a better user by foot than Taranto and Hopper.
He could easily slot in as an inside mid where he doesn’t get exposed for lack of speed. And he would cost way less than Taranto or Hopper.

At the ground:

I couldn't help but think Toby Greene is carrying a minor injury. Just didn't look 100%.

HH understandably looked a bit lost in defence. The near 71m torp was brilliant. Goal to add. Maybe a future in the backline but has to be consistent rather than the odd highlight. I don't see it working long term even though it was his first full game down back and did OK.

Brander is a worry. Has moments of really good, but many, many moments of really bad.

Josh Kelly - again too many turnovers. Racking up the stats with so much inefficiency is inexcusable on his $$$.

Cogs - much better today. Running more with the ball and some passes were sublime.

Allowing a team in such dire straits like West Coast to score 13 is a worry. A combination of our unsettled backline and midfield setup leaving their players free.

I wish we saw Wehr, Sproule, Peatling and Bruhn a heck of lot more before now.

Tom Green - oh I hope he stays. What a star.

Last edited:
I'm taking nothing from this game. We've already flogged Gold Coast and Adelaide. We're going to flog North Melbourne and probably Essendon. It's all academic unless we can show up against actually good teams.
Yep. Agree. A bit of pressure and the “fast ball movement” goes to s**t. It couldn’t be more different to how it will be at the Gabba next week. Remember a couple of years ago where they put about 50 on us in the first quarter? They were just to quick and clean for us all over the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was better than pretty solid imo. He had 30 and kicked a goal. His decision making in the clinches was excellent. Importantly, he is a better user by foot than Taranto and Hopper.
He could easily slot in as an inside mid where he doesn’t get exposed for lack of speed. And he would cost way less than Taranto or Hopper.
andddd he is our next captain. He is a very smart footballer. Don't need to be fast when you are smart.

His work in the marking contests has been below par this year imo.
Most of the issues for HH has been not his doing, we don’t have a true big (or 2) in the forwards since Jezza and others have left

Even West Coast if fit have Oscar Allen, Darling, Kennedy

HH is not a KPF.1 he should be 2 or preferably 3. We haven’t been able to bring in a gun from another team because it’s been so hard to trade in and recruiting generally we go for the best mid

As I.N mentioned above he kicks 1 every game, imagine if Flynn was in the goal square and Ricarrdi/Hogan was #2 and HH #3 in which he was getting the 3rd best defender rather than the best defender week in week out. Or even throw Lobb in the mix if we had picked him back up things would be easier for HH

He got switched this week and played a role well but was only against a depleted side with only 1 of their key forwards in

The key not only for HH but for all is to whatever role they have against a quality opponent is to play at the same level which we’re yet to see but we are only 1 week in on a 13 week refresh, the true test is next week against a team that will be hungry after their loss to the Hawks

Toby has to be carrying something.
Two weeks in a row he's not done much after the first qtr.
Agree that we look like world-beaters against the struggling teams, but means little if we can't knock off teams in the top 8.
However, there was a good look to the team this afternoon. Dominating the centre helped.
McVeigh did a nice job in putting players where they would have the best impact.
It's got to be super rare having 9 changes to a team and still winning, easily.
3rd qtr I was chewing on my hat as the stop/start switching play stuff happened.

Brander is ok at instinctual footy, but as soon as he thinks about something the indecision becomes a mistake.
Riccardi was a solid until the last quarter. His good running and hands were noticeable.
Sproule won't be a star, but I love how he gives maximum effort.
Hogan played well but we need him to nail more of those set shots.
Wehr didn't look out of place and he took and gave some good hits. His first goal was and nice composed.

much happier with Flynn’s tap work this week than I was with Preuss’ last week.

will be stiff to miss next week when they inevitably bring Pruess back.
Flynn's ruck work has been really good this year! Think he's given the best service to the mids this year, would play him over Sproule even though I really like Sproule.

Toby has to be carrying something.
Two weeks in a row he's not done much after the first qtr.
Agree that we look like world-beaters against the struggling teams, but means little if we can't knock off teams in the top 8.
However, there was a good look to the team this afternoon. Dominating the centre helped.
McVeigh did a nice job in putting players where they would have the best impact.
It's got to be super rare having 9 changes to a team and still winning, easily.
3rd qtr I was chewing on my hat as the stop/start switching play stuff happened.

Brander is ok at instinctual footy, but as soon as he thinks about something the indecision becomes a mistake.
Riccardi was a solid until the last quarter. His good running and hands were noticeable.
Sproule won't be a star, but I love how he gives maximum effort.
Hogan played well but we need him to nail more of those set shots.
Wehr didn't look out of place and he took and gave some good hits. His first goal was and nice composed.
Brander won’t play ones again imo unless we are seriously depleted.
We didn’t dominate in the middle. Centre clearances we’re 16-14 to them.

Two things on HH.
The stats on him in the GWS App suggest he is theee most accurate kick in the comp.
Surely he is only playing back because of the outs.
Half forward line for HH when normal service returns.
He is the most accurate kick at goal in the last 20 years

???

20 games in a row kicking at least 1 (including today from full back)

underrated
Agree.
Does a lot of little things very well.
He doesn't take pack marks, not his go, but he does a lot really well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back