Autopsy 2022 Round 10 - GWS Giants v West Coast Eagles, 2.10 pm Sunday 22 May @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
"The king is dead!' - Leon Cameron has coached his last game for the Giants. Unironically, it ended pretty much how many of our other matches this year did.

'Long live the king!', or since Mark McVeigh is merely an interim coach, perhaps that should be 'long live the prince!', or even just 'long live the regent!'. I guess that doesn't have as much pizzazz as the original saying. Much like this season hasn't seen much pizzazz from the boys on the field.

It's the start of a new era, although as likely only interim and short term, I'm not sure it really is, nor how much it's really going to tell us. Particularly, since I think the gameplan is at the heart of much of our problems, and I don't know how much MM can actually change in one week (or several weeks as we go forward).

This game will be an interesting first hurdle for MM. The Weagles have unfortunately been racked with personnel unavailability due to COVID, on top of seemingly dropping down the ladder naturally. That has seen them lose by some massive numbers this year. So it will be interesting to see how their team looks this week, and how they go against what is likely to be a dispirited Giants team. By rights, we should win, and reasonably could replicate the Crows game. But the Eagles did knock Collingwood off at home, so they are definitely capable of causing an upset. Will that be against us this week, on the back of Leon's departure, or will we bounce back under a new (interim) coach?

Giants are definitely fielding some players who are either hurting, or right out of form - Whitfield and Haynes being foremost. Several others are just down on form, such as HH and TT. Added to our seemingly endless list of injuries, we're just not in a good place.

We have a few spots to replace for the game - Finn Callaghan and Connor Stone being known at this point. No Binga to potentially bring in, although presumably Hogan and Bruhn will be available again after their illnesses last weekend. Bobby Hill being the medi-sub would seem likely to catch a recall on the back of those injuries, and I will expect that MdB gets retained, although I'd prefer someone else get an opportunity. Honestly, I'd like to get some games into the kids - so hopefully one of Josh Fahey or Jacob Wehr gets to replace Callaghan. There's also Matt Flynn who sat out last game, and Keiran Briggs too, so if the injury that Preuss suffered in game takes him out, there's options there, as well as potentially changing up the forward line. Ultimately, we'll get our first look at how McVeigh is going to select teams for the rest of this year. Will we continue the sometimes illogical selections, or actually reward effort in the seconds and drop bad performers from first grade (looking at you HH!)?

Tell us what you think - what do you want to see, what do you expect to see?

With caretaker coach Mark McVeigh taking the reins this week against West Coast, it's hard to know what the Giants will do with their team. Jesse Hogan missed the loss against Carlton due to illness and should come back into consideration, while James Peatling, (27 disposals) and Jarrod Brander (22 and 12 marks) impressed in the VFL loss against Southport. Plenty of players were quiet against the Blues, so will McVeigh show some faith, or will he make changes with some faces he's keen to see get a run?

R9 medical substitute: Bobby Hill (unused)

Verdict: Hogan for Matt de Boer and Hill into the 22 to rest Finn Callaghan after five straight games. – Michael Whiting

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
With caretaker coach Mark McVeigh taking the reins this week against West Coast, it's hard to know what the Giants will do with their team. Jesse Hogan missed the loss against Carlton due to illness and should come back into consideration, while James Peatling, (27 disposals) and Jarrod Brander (22 and 12 marks) impressed in the VFL loss against Southport. Plenty of players were quiet against the Blues, so will McVeigh show some faith, or will he make changes with some faces he's keen to see get a run?

R9 medical substitute: Bobby Hill (unused)

Verdict: Hogan for Matt de Boer and Hill into the 22 to rest Finn Callaghan after five straight games. – Michael Whiting

They didn't notice that Conor Stone did a hammy and also requires replacement?

They didn't notice that Conor Stone did a hammy and also requires replacement?
The same journalist did the injury write up yesterday 😂

Early prognosis​

Quiet on the injury front for the Giants, but small forwards Daniels and Lloyd are expected to be closing in on a return to play after long layoffs. Daniels fractured the Lisfranc joint in his foot at pre-season training in February and has not played since. - Michael Whiting

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, it really is the dawn of a new era. To paraphrase a former US Presidential candidate, we don't have Leon Cameron to kick around anymore.

Saying goodbye, especially for those who've been at the club for a while, would not have been easy and I think quite a few of the players will be hurting.

With no firm replacement, we're kind of leaderless at the moment. Someone needs to stand up.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Had a thought this morning ... I wonder if Brander might be brought in as Finn Callaghan's replacement on the wing? He's probably played more successfully there (for both WCE & us) than KPD, and keeps a tall, pacy wing structure (although not really bearing too much fruit for us to date).

Guess we'll see tonight. But no debuts announced, so the likelihood of Josh Fahey playing seem slim.

Also, Bobby being heavily used to promote Sir Doug Nicholls round, so I'd be highly surprised if he didn't return to the team for this game.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Well, it really is the dawn of a new era. To paraphrase a former US Presidential candidate, we don't have Leon Cameron to kick around anymore.

Saying goodbye, especially for those who've been at the club for a while, would not have been easy and I think quite a few of the players will be hurting.

With no firm replacement, we're kind of leaderless at the moment. Someone needs to stand up.

That is a massive risk.

Unless, the players start to believe this will be the 2023 Coaching group - in which case we could start to see material improvement, particularly from the leadership group of players.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
West Coast will play better soon. I just hope we aren't complacent, we can still make top 8 this year, but not very likely I realise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Had a thought this morning ... I wonder if Brander might be brought in as Finn Callaghan's replacement on the wing? He's probably played more successfully there (for both WCE & us) than KPD, and keeps a tall, pacy wing structure (although not really bearing too much fruit for us to date).

Guess we'll see tonight. But no debuts announced, so the likelihood of Josh Fahey playing seem slim.

Well played !!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
Z.Sproule, J.Hogan, J.Brander, T.Bruhn, J.Peatling, J.Fahey, M.Flynn, J.Stein, J.Wehr
Out: C.Hamilton (omitted), L.Keeffe (omitted), C.Stone (hamstring), L.Whitfield (ankle), N.Haynes (illness), F.Callaghan (shoulder)

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Brander on a wing is a very bad call! Key position players on the wing never works brander has plenty of runs on the board in this regard.

Play Wehr on the wing, fahey down back and Sproule forward/ruck

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
Z.Sproule, J.Hogan, J.Brander, T.Bruhn, J.Peatling, J.Fahey, M.Flynn, J.Stein, J.Wehr
Out: C.Hamilton (omitted), L.Keeffe (omitted), C.Stone (hamstring), L.Whitfield (ankle), N.Haynes (illness), F.Callaghan (shoulder)
Going to the Captains training run tomorrow morning, so disappointed that Cooper has been omitted this week

Brander on a wing is a very bad call! Key position players on the wing never works brander has plenty of runs on the board in this regard.

Play Wehr on the wing, fahey down back and Sproule forward/ruck
Team won’t line up like that and 4 more to be omitted

Is my man Josh Fahey a realistic chance to make the 22 this week?
Hope so, good luck to the young bloke.
Usually announcements are on the Thursday however with the game played on Sunday and more players to be cut could be announcements at training tomorrow

Mate Hird will be coaching your club next year take it to the Bank!
Don’t know if that be a good thing or not ?
Have hird the same but sitting on the fence how I feel about it at the moment

Back