Autopsy 2022 Round 11 - Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants, Saturday 28 May, 1:45 PM @ the Gabba

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Sproule is also rubbish 😂
we have quite a few players playing today who aren’t up to the standard. I’d probably put O’Halloran in this category as well but he’s still young
Sproule's enthusiastic, but we need someone more skilled. Both as a forward and as second ruck.

We should have brought Preuss back as ruck, and put Flynn forward in place of Sproule. IMHO.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Happy with that effort, and execution/gameplan for the most part. We lost because we made more errors than the Lions, but that is explained in part because of the difference in our ladder position (and the Lions deserve to be at the pointy end). Some of that is down to our missing players, but hopefully returning players and new mindset/gameplan will make for a better second half to this season.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Cogs into the middle is great but it feels like Green has been sidelined as a result - possibly also because of Perryman tagging Neale.
Cogs had 14 CPs & 9 clearances; Tom 11 CPs & 6 clearances. Tom's overall disposals are down (18 & 21 these last two weeks) from the earlier-season average of a touch over 27 ... but I think the overall result for the team is better.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Definitely getting a better contest and run from the current set-up, and the forward line is functioning much, much better than the first 9 rounds. Defence is still a little iffy though.

Some general thoughts immediately after this game:

Players whose places need to be closely considered: Keeffe, Brander, Sproule, Hill.

Players who should have been in for this game: Preuss

Players who if fit should be looking to come back in against Norths: Callaghan, Whitfield, Haynes. (Hopefully the latter two would be over their niggles.) I guess Taranto fits into that category too, although I'd opine that we've not really missed him too much in either the centre or F50.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
If we beat Brisbane away today we’d probably just be given two fixtures against them again in 2023.

The final result today is better for our 2023 season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Well put. I like these games where we just lose, still get some good positive takeaways from the game, get more games into you players and keep our position low on the ladder.

Our win against the Swans in the Elimination final last year has hurt us for this year as it meant we finished 6th which puts us in the top 3rd of the fixturing. We finish bottom 6 this year I say no excuses next year as we have more likelihood of getting fixtured against Adelaide, West Coast, North Melbourne, Essendon etc for 2023. Plus with the added bonus of an improved draft hand

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Brander is such a frustrating player.

He looks like an AFL player from central casting.

However, his skills and execution are so disappointing.

Early in the season I assumed it was nerves and a new environment.

However, that excuse is wearing very thin.

I have more confidence in Sproule, as none of our forwards ever play well as a back-up Ruck.

Agreed we missed Preuss in a twin ruck structure today.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Overall I would say the supporters should be happy with that performance some good moments and some poor moments

Toby almost back to where he should be, he just seemed so underdone in previous games
Peatling after his last 2 games has secured a new contract

HH needs to be more selective with his kick ins
Not sure who was on McCarthy but they and the defensive group will need to see where the breakdowns occurred to let him have so much room
Idun needs to learn to be more of a offensive threat
Keefe is a liability in defence and the club needs to look at the options for the 2nd half of the year, I dont think Aleer is an option yet although he may get a debut
Watching the Dockers steamroll the Demons after May went off shows what could happen without Taylor
Defensive accountability for the midfield group needs to be looked at with Neale having such a impact on the game and not sure why they didnt pay closer attention to him but I am sure the coaches will address that

Good time for the bye and the time for players to get over any niggles and a few to come back in either through reserves or straight in

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Our team selection is so far off.
Having Riccardi and Brander in the same side, where we also had Hogan and Sproule… it’s too tall. Especially when you have Toby flying for marks. Brander, if played on a wing, doesn’t use the ball well enough. He shouldn’t be playing.

Not sure what the coaches see his attributes and best position, Tomlinson mkII? Although both are flawed XOH has competitiveness and as the team improves his disposal will improve

Selection after the bye will be interesting

Back