Autopsy 2022 Round 11 - Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants, Saturday 28 May, 1:45 PM @ the Gabba

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
What’s happened to Copper Hamilton? Dropped from league, not playing VFL this weekend etc?

I think he picked up something in the reserves game last week, mentioned in the club report

43 Cooper Hamilton

10 disposals, 5 marks

It was a good effort from Cooper to play considering he wasn’t 100%, I thought he fought through the game really well.

May be the illness that others in have been getting and also the club isnt the best at a complete rehab report so it could be a minor injury

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Best I've felt after a loss since Round 1, took it up to a really good team in their house no shame in falling short. If we replay that game 10 times we probably win that a few times. Put ourselves in a posiiton to win it at the end and just didn't break right for us, really encouraged by that performance and shows that the West Coast wasn't just a mirage beating up against a shocking team.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Just noticed we lost the cont poss. by 29 yesterday and still put up 96 points, can't imagine we would've cracked 60 if we got smashed by that much inside under Leon. Shows this new style although giving up more points really keeps us competitive due to how many points we can put up.

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
I like these games where we just lose, still get some good positive takeaways from the game, get more games into young players and keep our position low on the ladder.

Our win against the Swans in the Elimination final last year has hurt us for this year as it meant we finished 6th which puts us in the top 3rd of the fixturing. We finish bottom 6 this year I say no excuses next year as we have more likelihood of getting fixtured against Adelaide, West Coast, North Melbourne, Essendon etc for 2023. Plus with the added bonus of an improved draft hand.

Building on this post I made earlier. It occurred to me today while watching Collingwood v Carlton that the Giants this year are the Collingwood of 2021. Hear me out.

The Pies had a much better list than their lowly position on the ladder last year suggested. From the top of my head Howe, Adams, Elliot and a few other key players in their team missed a lot of games last year. Also, contributing to their low finish was due to them finishing in the top 8 the prior year in 2020 and hence had a tougher draw. So Collingwood in 2020 was us in 2021. and Collingwood in 2021 is us now. The Pies were able to get games in to their younger players last year, as we are doing this year. The Pies had Buckley leave last year, we had Leon leave this year.

I have no doubt in my mind the Giants will bounce back in 2023. So I just hope McVeigh continues getting games in to the young fellas that deserve games and all of a sudden we won't have 13 players under 50 games playing every week we will have 20 players 75 - 200 games playing every week.

Wow, I am excited for 2023!

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hey guys sorry to intrude. Just wondering if this Himmelburg move to defence and on kick in duties looks to be a permanent one. I'm obviously asking for Supercoach reasons. Thanks guys good luck for the rest of the season.

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Definitely getting a better contest and run from the current set-up, and the forward line is functioning much, much better than the first 9 rounds. Defence is still a little iffy though.

Some general thoughts immediately after this game:

Players whose places need to be closely considered: Keeffe, Brander, Sproule, Hill.

Players who should have been in for this game: Preuss

Players who if fit should be looking to come back in against Norths: Callaghan, Whitfield, Haynes. (Hopefully the latter two would be over their niggles.) I guess Taranto fits into that category too, although I'd opine that we've not really missed him too much in either the centre or F50.

Your thoughts on Jacob Wehr's place in the Giants best 22 from here on? (asking for SC/AF purposes)

Maximus 2011

All Australian
Oct 4, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Your thoughts on Jacob Wehr's place in the Giants best 22 from here on? (asking for SC/AF purposes)
It is hard to know really. If Whitfield is fit he comes straight back in the team and could replace Wehr. Also depends on the selection of Ward as well I would think and if the selection panel want to keep Ward in the team as a HBF or if they choose to go with youth now.

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
It is hard to know really. If Whitfield is fit he comes straight back in the team and could replace Wehr. Also depends on the selection of Ward as well I would think and if the selection panel want to keep Ward in the team as a HBF or if they choose to go with youth now.
Any feedback on my above post re HH? Would be much appreciated

Any feedback on my above post re HH? Would be much appreciated
I personally don't think it will be permanent. Even though he has been playing well back there.

We still have Haynes to come back into the side. Keeping in mind that Keeffe was dropped and HH was switched to the back in McVeigh's first game. Keeffe probably makes way for Haynes though. But we have Cumming, Idun, Taylor, Haynes + Whitfield, Ash, Wehr occupying positions in the backline.

We have Sproule, Riccardi and Hogan playing that tall forward role. Hogan is a likely to miss games due to niggles and the other two are chances to lose their spot if they aren't in form. Any of them dropping out of the side and so long as we have a fit backline with the above names will see Himmelberg moved back to forwards.

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I personally don't think it will be permanent. Even though he has been playing well back there.

We still have Haynes to come back into the side. Keeping in mind that Keeffe was dropped and HH was switched to the back in McVeigh's first game. Keeffe probably makes way for Haynes though. But we have Cumming, Idun, Taylor, Haynes + Whitfield, Ash, Wehr occupying positions in the backline.

We have Sproule, Riccardi and Hogan playing that tall forward role. Hogan is a likely to miss games due to niggles and the other two are chances to lose their spot if they aren't in form. Any of them dropping out of the side and so long as we have a fit backline with the above names will see Himmelberg moved back to forwards.
Thanks mate. This is not the response I was hoping for... He would be a great bargain option in SC if he stayed in defence. Appreciate it but mate

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Line up for the North game at Marvel

2 rucks, Whitfield, Taranto and Haynes back in. 1of Wehr/Callaghan to play other medi-sub
Davis and Lloyd back in through reserves, hopefully Hamilton is ok and plays reserves
Hoping Brander is in reserves

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming HH Whitfield
Ash Ward Kelly
Bruhn Riccardi Taranto
Peatling Hogan Greene
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Flynn Kennedy Wehr/Callaghan

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Line up for the North game at Marvel

2 rucks, Whitfield, Taranto and Haynes back in. 1of Wehr/Callaghan to play other medi-sub
Davis and Lloyd back in through reserves, hopefully Hamilton is ok and plays reserves
Hoping Brander is in reserves

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming HH Whitfield
Ash Ward Kelly
Bruhn Riccardi Taranto
Peatling Hogan Greene
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Flynn Kennedy Wehr/Callaghan
Like it , hopefully Callaghan plays he's looked good in his games so far

Back