Autopsy 2022 Round 13 - North Melbourne v GWS Giants, Sunday 12 June, 3:20 PM @ Marvel Stadium

Preview
Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
8974. That's the number to keep in mind this week.

For those playing at home it's the number of attendees that travelled to Docklands in 2015 for a Melbourne vs GWS contest. And to this point the lowest recorded AFL game attendance in the storied venue's history.

Ladies and gentlemen this record is going to be blown out of the park this week. A combination of the late Sunday graveyard timeslot, on a long weekend, freezing projected conditions and the AFL's 15th and 17th placed teams going head to head will sadly lock this in.

The only thing more depressing than this is the squad of not availables between these two injury ravaged clubs. The GWS toll extends by the week with Lloyd and Callaghan firing up previous injuries as well as Aleer joining the soft tissue club. Taranto's back condition is flaring at the wrong time given his out of contract status and there's still doubt that Ward will get up from concussion.

For North it's a disaster. Injury/illness has exposed holes all over the field with Ben McKay going down to concussion again and potentially Horne-Francis with an ankle. The reserves are getting belted every week but they have to pick someone and maybe they'll have to roll the dice on raw KPP Matt McGuiness. Not much to lose! If JHF doesn't get up then it's really bottom of the barrel time. Jaidyn Stephenson anyone?

GWS seem to have been stung into action by the coaching change looking very good and aggressive against Brisbane. As I always say when these two teams meet the Roos have absolutely no one to play on Toby Greene and he can look forward to a bag. GWS will also have the edge around stoppages and critically across half back. North have no answer to stem the run off half back of sides and Webster and Hill for the Saints were the beneficiaries last time at the Dome. The likes of Ash and Cumming need to put the pedal to the metal.

GWS undoubted weak link is their leaky defence but with Zurhaar now out for ages the scoring avenues are even more restricted. Taylor on Larkey with Idun coming up as third man should nullify any aerial threat. And other than Paul Curtis there's not a crumbing small on the list (really missing those departed recruiters!). The side simply can't score.

Last year was a turn up down at Hobart but Cunnington was playing then. Unfortunately not this week.

Giants by 42.

Last edited:

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Has to be a big win coming off our bye them looking ahead to their bye, style under McVeigh looks much improved, had a full week to recharge and digest the gameplan a bit more.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Geez that's depressing reading. Battle of the crippled lists.

Unfortunately, as we saw last year, anything can happen for us when we come off the bye ... but hopefully Spike has them a little more revved up this year. It would be good if they were refreshed from the bye, have absorbed Spike's game plan, and ready to roar - while Norths are feeling battered and looking forward to a rest.

Confirmed outs: Hill (surgery)
Looking shaky: Jarrod Brander, Callan Ward (concussion), Lachlan Keeffe, Zach Sproule, Matt de Boer

Lachie Whitfield is a test; Nick Haynes wasn't mentioned so presumably he's OK to go. I'd prefer to give Lachie another week's rest to try to get his ankle right, particularly given that he's been down on form during the first half of the season. Adam Kennedy is presumably also ready to go.

So, with the Norths tall forwards, we shouldn't need a third pure tall defender, so Keeffe should go out (replaced by Haynes now being fit) while keeping HH down back. Brander's not adding much playing on a wing - if Whitfield plays then he takes his spot, if not, I'd assume Kennedy comes in.
Norths will likely play Goldstein & Xerri, so we should bring back Preuss but keep Flynn (or try Briggs, but unlikely), and leave Sproule out.
While I'd like to give someone else a run instead of de Boer, with Hill added to the injury list, I just can't see that happening. It probably just means that O'Halloran comes back into the team with a reshuffle of roles.
If Ward doesn't get up from his concussion ... I don't know who we bring in, as we're almost out of players who fit the requirement. Maybe Callum Brown would get a guernsey and plays up front, allowing someone else to be a midfield rotation. The situation's not desperate ... but it's not great!

Connor Idun, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
Nick Haynes, Harry Himmelberg, Jacob Wehr
Lachie Ash, Tom Green, Lachie Whitfield/Adam Kennedy
James Peatling, Jake Riccardi, Matt de Boer
Matt Flynn, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
Brayden Preuss, Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly

IC Tanner Bruhn, Callan Ward, Harry Perryman, Xavier O'Halloran

Out: Lachlan Keeffe, Zach Sproule, Jarrod Brander, Bobby Hill
In: Nick Haynes, Brayden Preuss, Lachie Whitfield/Adam Kennedy, Xavier O'Halloran

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
SEN's obviously following Pres' thread!

The AFL is fearing an all-time low Marvel Stadium crowd will turn up for North Melbourne's clash against GWS on Sunday.

Melbourne and GWS currently hold the unwanted record, attracting a crowd of just 8,974 at what was then known as Etihad Stadium in Round 23, 2015 — the lowest attendance at the Docklands venue in its 22-year history. North Melbourne (23,147) and GWS (18,177) are currently ranked 16th and 17th respectively for average attendance this year. The last time the Kangaroos played in front of their home crowd, only 13,422 turned up against reigning premiers Melbourne.

SEN Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund said there is a “real fear” at AFL House that an all-time low Marvel Stadium crowd will be posted on Sunday.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't think the record low crowd will be broken. You were in your infancy in 2015, GoDeez were struggling and their supporters do not travel to Marvel as we all well know.

Let's hope it's a good game and a few of you get along. You're a good bunch here and know the travails of being a small club.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
26 to be named tonight so really a case of who is not named with the injury list
A few tall options but struggling with the small/med forwards and utility mids so likely to go in with an extra tall (Brander) and a saving grace is it is under the roof at Marvel

Hoping for 2 rucks, Kelly to continue his good form, Coniglio to go 30 + 2, 1 of Hogan, Greene, Riccardi to kick 4+ and a win hopefully

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming HH Whitfield
Ash Ward Kelly
Bruhn Riccardi MDB
Peatling Hogan Greene
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Flynn Kennedy XOH/Wehr/Brander/Sproule/Keefe

Not named but available I think
Briggs
Brown
Angwin
Stein
Fleeton
Shaw
Derkson

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

All-Australian and dual Kevin Sheedy Medal winner Lachie Whitfield and dashing defender Adam Kennedy are confirmed to return for Sunday’s clash with North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Whitfield has missed two matches with an ankle injury while Kennedy missed the last match with illness.

Inaugural co-captain Callan Ward has also been named in the side after clearing the concussion protocols and is set to line up for his 200th game for the GIANTS - the first player at the club to reach the milestone.

Included on an extended interchange are All-Australian defender Nick Haynes, ruckman Braydon Preuss, defender Jake Stein and midfielder Xavier O’Halloran, alongside youngsters Tanner Bruhn, Lachie Ash and Jacob Wehr and key defender Lachlan Keeffe.

GWS v NM.png

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
26 to be named tonight so really a case of who is not named with the injury list
A few tall options but struggling with the small/med forwards and utility mids so likely to go in with an extra tall (Brander) and a saving grace is it is under the roof at Marvel

Hoping for 2 rucks, Kelly to continue his good form, Coniglio to go 30 + 2, 1 of Hogan, Greene, Riccardi to kick 4+ and a win hopefully

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming HH Whitfield
Ash Ward Kelly
Bruhn Riccardi MDB
Peatling Hogan Greene
Preuss Coniglio Green
Perryman Flynn Kennedy XOH/Wehr/Brander/Sproule/Keefe

Not named but available I think
Briggs
Brown
Angwin
Stein
Fleeton
Shaw
Derkson
Hey mate do you think HH is staying in defence or going forward again now that you have players back? Cheers

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hey mate do you think HH is staying in defence or going forward again now that you have players back? Cheers

Unsure until the 22 is named tomorrow, with Stein and Keffe key defenders to potentially play alongside Taylor and Haynes and then Hogan, Riccardi, Sproule key forwards with the potential for a 2nd ruck also if Pruess and Flynn play

Max the great

Premiership Player
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unsure until the 22 is named tomorrow, with Stein and Keffe key defenders to potentially play alongside Taylor and Haynes and then Hogan, Riccardi, Sproule key forwards with the potential for a 2nd ruck also if Pruess and Flynn play
Thanks mate. Appreciate the response

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I was there in 2015, wont be this week. The record should be safe, it was final round and basically a dead rubber for both clubs, wasnt much reason to go. Not sure the AFL care much nowadays, media rights are worth far more than gate takings.

Looking at the bench its hard to tell if Preuss plays or not, I put a line through Keefe and Stein. Somebody is going to be stiff to miss out.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I was there in 2015, wont be this week. The record should be safe, it was final round and basically a dead rubber for both clubs, wasnt much reason to go. Not sure the AFL care much nowadays, media rights are worth far more than gate takings.

Looking at the bench its hard to tell if Preuss plays or not, I put a line through Keefe and Stein. Somebody is going to be stiff to miss out.
Stein, Keefe, XO, Preuss/Sproule to miss out

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Stein, Keefe, XO, Preuss/Sproule to miss out
Sproule's named on field, so shouldn't be him.

With the talls who were named on field, you'd think Preuss, Stein & Keeffe would be emergencies. Plus one from Wehr, XO, Bruhn. Wehr would seem possible given Whitfield & Kennedy returned to the team. Hope it's not Bruhn.

But I've given up guessing how we work out our team, so no idea who it actually will be.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Think it's probably going to be Bruhn, Ash, Haynes, Stein. Kennedy and Whitfield back makes it tough to see Wehr get another go. Big thing im looking out for is how does Whitfield get used, we haven't seen him play under McVeigh yet and we know he's switched a few guys around. Lined up at HF with Peatling lined up on the wing would make sense if those guys flip once the game starts but think he plays wing/HF rather then wing/HB, Cumming, Ward, Kennedy, Ash all playing off the back half probably don't need him there as much.

Last edited:

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Whitfield and Kennedy in

Brander and hill out

Flynn to solo ruck which I don’t think is the best option with Xerri and Goldstein able to work him over and the back up if Sproule
No haynes

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Wonder if Haynes got named to see if he would recover from illness or not and he didn't end up getting up for it. Can't imagine he's not getting names if he's fit. Plenty of good users out there for us in this one, ball movement should look really nice. Gonna need some good run from Sproule when he gets thrown in the ruck.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
That team sheet is so far off what the actual positions will be

Looking forward to seeing Horne-Francis

Bruhn, Wehr and Flynn getting a run of games is something to like

Only 1 ruck and Keefe is something not to like about the named team
Peatling too! He's looked unreal these last two games. Think Sproule will take more of chop out ruck duties then Keefe but Keefe might still see some.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
Pardon the intrusion, what’s going on with Preuss? Why isn’t he being picked? (Yes it’s a fantasy question)

Back