Autopsy 2022 Round 13 - North Melbourne v GWS Giants, Sunday 12 June, 3:20 PM @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Anyone at the ground. Footy Show claimed crowds were down all around and this game would be lucky to get 12K.

Section226

All Australian
May 21, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Keefe out, Haynes in. Hogan is having a below-par day.

What has happened with Toby Greene's kicking? General play and kicking for goal are way down.

Edit: Of course he nails a bomb from 50m soon after.

Noticed a bit of selfishness and smart-alecky play. Back to basics and team play which worked well in the first half.

Never liked North Melbourne. Seem to have a higher proportion of snipers and players going the niggle. Not new.

Might be a fair amount of aggro in the last quarter.

Last edited:
What has happened with Toby Greene's kicking? General play and kicking for goal are way down.
Whenever I see a player slightly off all around, it does make me wonder if he's got a niggle that is stuffing up his action just enough.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
8974. That's the number to keep in mind this week.

For those playing at home it's the number of attendees that travelled to Docklands in 2015 for a Melbourne vs GWS contest. And to this point the lowest recorded AFL game attendance in the storied venue's history.

Ladies and gentlemen this record is going to be blown out of the park this week. A combination of the late Sunday graveyard timeslot, on a long weekend, freezing projected conditions and the AFL's 15th and 17th placed teams going head to head will sadly lock this in.

The only thing more depressing than this is the squad of not availables between these two injury ravaged clubs. The GWS toll extends by the week with Lloyd and Callaghan firing up previous injuries as well as Aleer joining the soft tissue club. Taranto's back condition is flaring at the wrong time given his out of contract status and there's still doubt that Ward will get up from concussion.

For North it's a disaster. Injury/illness has exposed holes all over the field with Ben McKay going down to concussion again and potentially Horne-Francis with an ankle. The reserves are getting belted every week but they have to pick someone and maybe they'll have to roll the dice on raw KPP Matt McGuiness. Not much to lose! If JHF doesn't get up then it's really bottom of the barrel time. Jaidyn Stephenson anyone?

GWS seem to have been stung into action by the coaching change looking very good and aggressive against Brisbane. As I always say when these two teams meet the Roos have absolutely no one to play on Toby Greene and he can look forward to a bag. GWS will also have the edge around stoppages and critically across half back. North have no answer to stem the run off half back of sides and Webster and Hill for the Saints were the beneficiaries last time at the Dome. The likes of Ash and Cumming need to put the pedal to the metal.

GWS undoubted weak link is their leaky defence but with Zurhaar now out for ages the scoring avenues are even more restricted. Taylor on Larkey with Idun coming up as third man should nullify any aerial threat. And other than Paul Curtis there's not a crumbing small on the list (really missing those departed recruiters!). The side simply can't score.

Last year was a turn up down at Hobart but Cunnington was playing then. Unfortunately not this week.

Giants by 42.

You needn't have worried.

😁

Review
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yes, the opposition is not having a good year, but it was good to see a gameplan and personal effort that we could be proud of.

HH has been fabulous as KPD, seems to be playing a Haynes-type role, which if Nick is still off-kilter we'd expect to keep the status quo. Still not satisfied with Keeffe being there, I'd prefer Stein (who seemed OK in his time out there today), or hope for Davis to be cleared to play again very soon.

Lachie Whitfield had a much better game today, so hopefully the rest cleared his niggles. Unfortunately we can expect Pez to miss games; realistically with Taranto and Hopper still out, gives Bruhn more opportunity in the middle, Ward as well you'd think. Maybe XOH to come back in.

Hogan had a meh game, but Peatling continues to impress up front.

Good to see Cogs back to excellent form too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Yes, the opposition is not having a good year, but it was good to see a gameplan and personal effort that we could be proud of.

HH has been fabulous as KPD, seems to be playing a Haynes-type role, which if Nick is still off-kilter we'd expect to keep the status quo. Still not satisfied with Keeffe being there, I'd prefer Stein (who seemed OK in his time out there today), or hope for Davis to be cleared to play again very soon.

Lachie Whitfield had a much better game today, so hopefully the rest cleared his niggles. Unfortunately we can expect Pez to miss games; realistically with Taranto and Hopper still out, gives Bruhn more opportunity in the middle, Ward as well you'd think. Maybe XOH to come back in.

Hogan had a meh game, but Peatling continues to impress up front.

Good to see Cogs back to excellent form too.
I was glad to see how happy the players where after the game , getting pictures with the crowd. I guess alot of the players from Melbourne would have had people they know in the crowd.

Almost as if some kind of dead weight has been removed and we have the true Cogs on his way back

Cogs is having a good year.
So is Kelly.
The 2 players on long term contracts people were saying we're ruining us have not been the problem

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Peatling signed for life please.

wouldn’t be opposed. Fair to say, I’ve been on the Peatling bandwagon a while now…

E62899B3-3F3A-477F-9644-6AFE05EF1EFC.jpeg
BFF6D4A3-2F4F-4237-A831-E0B15D5A085E.jpeg

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Similar to the WC game it's hard to take too much anyway considering the quality of the other team but were defintely some things that were good to see.

1. 3 straight really good performances from the team, 2 shocking teams in there but it's not like we didn't have losses to bad teams last year also really took it up to Brisbane last game
2. Cogs took the absolute piss, he was so dominant
3. Himmelberg down back is a monster his rebounding, marking and he's actually holding up pretty well as a defender is really great. Turned into a metres gained monster since moving down back
4. Probably give Preuss a go next week to ease some of Flynns work load
5. Another quality performance from Riccardi, thought he presented really well and took advantage of his opportunities. That kick form the pocket was incredible. Sproule can go back down for Preuss.
6. Whitfield looked really good back to what we're used to seeing from him nearly 30 touches racking up the marks all over the ground hopefully he can build on this for next week.
7. Peatling continues his incredible run under McVeigh, kicking 9 in 3 weeks what a find he was last year
8. What a response from Bruhn, had a quiet one against Brisbane but exploded today 2 goals from him is really nice
9. Kelly just keeps clicking on along, thought his first couple games of the year were a bit quiet but he's been spectacular since what a special player. Greater leader and does it all. Really glad it seems like he's over the soft tissue injuries that plagued him for a few years there, never seemed like he could really get going, touch wood.
10. Wehr contributed nicely again, think he's been better then Hamilton was. Wehr deserves to keep his spot a bit longer.

North suck but to string together 3 really good performances we have to be happy with, so exciting to watch us play under McVeigh now really fun brand. Big test next with the doggies at home, don't think they're position on the ladder is a reflection of how good they are. I'll be there in support next week, which will be my first home game I've gone too (living in Melbourne) so that should be exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back