Autopsy 2022 Round 14 - GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 18 June, 7:25 PM @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The past 3 games since Mark McVeigh took the team reins have been more positive for Giants fans than the opening 9 games. It's not simply the 2-1 record, particularly since those 2 wins were against the bottom 2 sides, but more the manner in which the team has performed during those 3 games, including a fighting loss against Brisbane. Whilst 2 games might be considered as only slightly more glorified than training runs, that's probably just what the team needs as it starts to adjust to a new gameplan. And to be fair, I'd much prefer to see us attacking through the corridor and scoring goals but conceding points through misplaced endeavour, than continue to watch some of the slugfests that we've endured earlier in the year.

However, the Bulldogs will be a more dangerous opponent next weekend. With a 6-6 record, they're a few rungs above us on the ladder, but coming off a Grand Final appearance last year, they have been disappointingly up and down this year. While we know about that, COVID was a contributing factor for us, but for the Bulldogs this year seems to have been just unsettled. Their coach has had a go at a journo over team selection mind games, the Bont has carried some niggly injuries, and the team has not had a settled ruck or tall defence line. The recent Bailey Smith saga adds to the background rumble, so it remains to be seen whether the players can clear their minds and come out focussed on their game, or not. The Bulldogs have a so-so record coming off the bye: 5-5, while GWS has had a tendency the last few years to improve after the bye, so this will be an interesting game.

In terms of team selection, you would think that GWS will aim to keep the same team as much as possible, given the recent good showings. That leaves a necessary replacement for Perryman - playing an inside midfield role - with the other potential replacement being Matt Flynn, if his final minute injury is significant or otherwise needs to have a rest. Personally, I also have reservation about Lachie Keeffe and Zac Sproule, but accept that it's unlikely that either will be replaced after the recent games. Options to replace Pez would include bringing Ward into a midfield rotation and adding an outside player such as O'Halloran, or simply bringing Tim Taranto back as a straight swap if he's recovered from his back troubles. If Flynn goes out, then Preuss would presumably come in. I'd have no problem with playing a dual ruck pairing, but it probably isn't needed against Bulldogs, who will either have English rucking solo or an English-Sweet combination.

For the Dogs, Bailey Smith replaced Jordan Sweet for their last game, so it will be interesting to see if that selection is reversed - which would give Bulldogs two tall targets up front - or go for a smaller player and a very small, fast attacking forward set-up. We've had trouble with that in the past, and it was the smalls who really recovered the day for Brisbane, so that's where my concern with keeping Keeffe in the team stems from. However, if Jordan Sweet is returned to their team, then I can definitely see McVeigh wanting the 204 cm Keeffe to match up in height against the 207 cm & 205 cm Dogs pairing.

However, in my opinion, the game will be most likely won in the midfield battle. Our freshly rejuvenated midfield, with Cogs back in form, Green, Kelly, Bruhn and Ash have looked very good these last few games, but will need to step up another notch physically to match the Doggies midfield, which is awash with talent. However, we've matched them in the past with a combative approach, and will need to remember those lessons if we want to win.

I really hope we knock off this mob. Would really put a don’t in their finals aspirations. Their fans always having a dog at us about Toby and yet Smith is pinging off his chops and head butting blokes whilst the coach is abusing journos for his own issues.

Idun might get a rest for Haynes.
TT straight swap for Pez if he is ready to go.
Phil can come back through the VFL.
Preuss can wait it out for another week. English is not the matchup for him.

The Bailey smith distraction only helps us I reckon

Add MdB as an out for this game due to concussion.

I'd hope TT is ready, so he can take Pez's place, and XOH to take MdB's position.

Another option would be to give Callum Brown another run in a forward pocket, or even Cooper Hamilton a role as a pressure forward.

Not really many options left.

But after three eye-catching efforts in the reserves across the past month, interim GIANTS coach Mark McVeigh has produced a surprise selection ahead of round 14.

didn‘t catch my eye - and I watched with both of them open.

I mean, good luck to the kid, hope he does himself and the club proud - but it’s a hell of a step up from what I’ve seen of his performances.

Angwin to debut

So happy for him that’s so cool, hell of a first game to play Saturday night against one of your biggest rivals.

Didnt see the Angwin selection but well done to the kid and hopefully he can put in a composed performance

Taranto for a half in reserves shows he is still not right and Davis back even in VFL will be good going into the 2nd half of the season

Good that Bobby is spending time around the club and if he gets back even for training that will be a huge positive for him

The club needs to release more info on some of the injured players with several still Indefinite/TBC even though they have been on the injury list for a pong period of time
Lloyd, Daniels and Callaghan
Just get any more ops done so they can be back for pre season as it is like they need to double the recovery period compared to other clubs

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
B.Preuss, R.Angwin, N.Haynes
Out: Z.Sproule (omitted), H.Perryman (ribs), M.de Boer (concussion), J.Stein (Medi-Sub)

Last week's sub: Jake Stein (replaced H.Perryman in the second quarter)
FE1D66CA-545B-4F8A-96C5-E354B8F2549F.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought Angwin was a sneaky chance and im glad they have given him a run. Outside runner with good disposal (but lightly built) can be difficult to rack up numbers in the 2’s without a strong midfield group.

Will benefit massively from having the likes of Tom Green feeding it to him.

Like that Spike is making injured players come back through the 2’s.

Expecting Idun or Haynes to play forward. I liked what Idun brought to the table last time he played forward from a defensive pov. It would be outrageously poor coaching to move HH back forward now given he has been a big reason for the resurgence

That's a tall backline... (assuming HH continues to play the loose defender role)

Especially against the Dogs forwards.
It's for sure tall but HH is a really good athlete so he can make up for it, he moves really well for a guy his size. Keefe is obviously slow, Taylor is pretty mobile and Haynes moves well enough

Thought Angwin was a sneaky chance and im glad they have given him a run. Outside runner with good disposal (but lightly built) can be difficult to rack up numbers in the 2’s without a strong midfield group.

Will benefit massively from having the likes of Tom Green feeding it to him.

Like that Spike is making injured players come back through the 2’s.

Expecting Idun or Haynes to play forward. I liked what Idun brought to the table last time he played forward from a defensive pov. It would be outrageously poor coaching to move HH back forward now given he has been a big reason for the resurgence
Yeah was thinking the same thing, Angwin might look a lot better with some big dogs feeding the ball to him on the outside. Really hope we don't see HH back would mean we'd have Riccardi, Hogan, Flynn/Preuss and HH up forward which seems to tall.

That's a tall backline... (assuming HH continues to play the loose defender role)

Especially against the Dogs forwards.
I agree. Although Dogs have included Schache & Ugle-Hagan - plus Naughton - so have a traditional 3-tall forward line, so it's not as incongruent as it might have been. Taylor-Keeffe-Himmelberg + Haynes playing small against Naughton-Schache-JUH.

I agree that if Idun is moved forward as a pressure forward, then Haynes might be taking his role (as was discussed in here previously).

Hoping for a late change with either Hamilton or XOH in for Keefe
With rain forecast not a night for the talls
Hoping Coniglio continues his run of good form, Angwin a good debut and no injuries

You guys have to keep play HH as a defender.

Haynes for me is overrated and Himmelberg has been impressive down back and has more presence apart from the stat sheet.

I think Davis has been a little overrated to as he lacks Himmelberg's movement.

Himmelberg is overrated as a forward but I think he is a real prospect and you have to keep him and Taylor together down back to give yourselves any chance going forward

Looks like a fine day as we drive into Sydney. Rain staying off the coast. With a relatively tall side, let’s hope the rain and dew stays away. Looking forward to tough game that honours the rivalry we have built up against the Doggies. Also hoping Haynes can build some confide and form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back