Autopsy 2022 Round 14 Slow starting Blues have disappointing loss

Who played well for the Blues in our round 14 match vs the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised so many have talked up Walsh's game. He was poor. Wasted so many disposals and had 0 touches in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter when the game was on the line. Seems to just hack it forward these days which is a shame because he is so highly skilled.

Cripps gets a pass mark
Yeah i thought walsh was average - got a lot of it but little to no hurt factor. He worked his ass off the 1st qtr as a lone hand but was pretty ordinary after that

It's incredible that yet another key defender goes down in 3 consecutive weeks! Crazy. To be honest, no matters what happens for the rest of the season, I'm proud of the fight the boys have shown this year despite some weak quarters, and I'm proud of the turnaround Voss has achieved in just one half season in charge. Injuries luck is hard to avoid when it strikes so if it costs us making much of a dent at the pointy end of the season, I'm okay. I feel I've already seen enough growth to know we Carlton are a totally different team from 2021 and are going to be a huge threat in 2023. Maybe we'll still be a dark horse 2022 but either way I'm happy with what I've seen thus far. Thanks Voss. Thanks boys. Go Blues!

Its why as frustrating as the loss is im not mad at our losses. I can see where the club is going and it seems everything is working together for the same goal.

I couldnt see it under Bolton in his last year and didnt really ever see it under teague and that was the maddening part

Surprised so many have talked up Walsh's game. He was poor. Wasted so many disposals and had 0 touches in the first 10 minutes of the last quarter when the game was on the line. Seems to just hack it forward these days which is a shame because he is so highly skilled.

Cripps gets a pass mark

Didn't handle the conditions and wasn't alone...

I hated last night. I was so down when I went to bed. Just hate watching Richmond play well.

But when I got up this morning, I remembered that this game was a developing, injury-ravaged team playing against an established, in-form team at full-strength. We didn’t disgrace ourselves by any stretch. If anything, we just let ourselves get too far behind. Get a couple of those goals going through in Q1 and it could have been a different game.

Then, I also thought about how much I enjoyed about parts of watching us last night. Sam Durdin and Lewis Young playing way above their experience levels. Saad, Docherty and Newman winning contests and providing drive. Boyd, Cottrel, Fisher and O’Brien looking like they deserve to be at this level. Cripps and Hewett working themselves into the game. Harry producing an almighty quarter from a tall forward and nearly winning us the game.

There’s also clear things to work on: we need more from our small forwards, we need to be able to adapt more quickly in-game, and we can get beaten for pace at stoppages if the ball goes into space rather than in tight (I’d love to see Stocker and, eventually, Cuningham in the centre square for that reason).

So I’m feeling a bit better, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Freo next week.

We have definitely lost our way when it comes to clearances and centre clearances. Dominant in that area but beaten in recent weeks. Its our 1 wood and we need to get it back.

This is definitely a team with a ton of character. We just kept coming at Richmond, a trait we just haven't had in the past. Thought guys like Boyd and Durdin did good jobs, which translates to Voss's next man up mentality.

Have no doubt we can beat Freo..

Our clearance numbers seemed to have dropped off as we have come up against bigger stronger rucks who follow up the ground ball .. TDK biggest asset as a ruck is his leap - but most of his taps were ineffective or to opposition - and he not strong enough to stay balanced and follow up and add protection to our smalls over the course of the whole game .. might be like English at dogs just needs to add years and strength .. think it no coincidence his best game was against Witt's and ladhams ..

I hated last night. I was so down when I went to bed. Just hate watching Richmond play well.

But when I got up this morning, I remembered that this game was a developing, injury-ravaged team playing against an established, in-form team at full-strength. We didn’t disgrace ourselves by any stretch. If anything, we just let ourselves get too far behind. Get a couple of those goals going through in Q1 and it could have been a different game.

Then, I also thought about how much I enjoyed about parts of watching us last night. Sam Durdin and Lewis Young playing way above their experience levels. Saad, Docherty and Newman winning contests and providing drive. Boyd, Cottrel, Fisher and O’Brien looking like they deserve to be at this level. Cripps and Hewett working themselves into the game. Harry producing an almighty quarter from a tall forward and nearly winning us the game.

There’s also clear things to work on: we need more from our small forwards, we need to be able to adapt more quickly in-game, and we can get beaten for pace at stoppages if the ball goes into space rather than in tight (I’d love to see Stocker and, eventually, Cuningham in the centre square for that reason).

So I’m feeling a bit better, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat Freo next week.
Fabulous take.

He is such a hard worker, dog hungry for it no matter the circumstance. Small bloke who ends up affecting contests against much bigger opponents. How good was his tackle on Tom Lynch? 2v1 situation and he wins it.

Not related to the above but I really think LOB is going to make it now. His kicking is absolutely elite. There are less than 10 players competition wide who could make that kick to McKay, and LOB’s goal from outside 50 was huge too.
One decent kick and we'll all fawn over him... I saw two poor kicks for goal (one about 20m out), fluffed handballs, the good ole corralling running away from the man (flappy birding) instead of running towards to apply some pressure... at least two times he went in against his own team mate causing us to lose what would of been his team mate having a clear possession to get it out. Then for a good runner he reminds me of Brock McClean where he appears to be running on the spot and gains hardly any ground to anyone he's chasing. But I'll keep cheering him on every game for that one or two decent disposals he pulls out and neglect the other major shortfalls in the rest of his game.

Yeah i thought walsh was average - got a lot of it but little to no hurt factor. He worked his ass off the 1st qtr as a lone hand but was pretty ordinary after that
Having cerra makes a big difference -- he has more hurt when he is recieving and running his opponent into the ground.. thought Kennedy was poor forcing Walsh closer to the source being first in chain. Looks like we really need some actual foot speed - we try to cover it by quick ball movement but in wet conditions against a side who plays with great frontal pressure and structure behind the ball our movement is ineffective --
As has been said you can't lose clearance like we did and expect to win games ..

With umpiring it's almost like before the start of the quarter you have to check which 3rd of the ground each umpire is playing and change your game style to suit each specific 3rd to suit the adjudicator there. But then you have the umpires from the opposing 3rds anyway over ruling that umpire in the current third.... and perhaps that's where the problem lies... how about umpires pretend they're like netballers.. don't go beyond their boundary and should only make calls for things that occurs within their boundary unless an obvious block/take-down/punch/abuse any non ball related infraction occurs that the current adjudicating umpire can't see as they're focusing on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With umpiring it's almost like before the start of the quarter you have to check which 3rd of the ground each umpire is playing and change your game style to suit each specific 3rd to suit the adjudicator there. But then you have the umpires from the opposing 3rds anyway over ruling that umpire in the current third.... and perhaps that's where the problem lies... how about umpires pretend they're like netballers.. don't go beyond their boundary and should only make calls for things that occurs within their boundary unless an obvious block/take-down/punch/abuse any non ball related infraction occurs that the current adjudicating umpire can't see as they're focusing on the ball.

unless its a free kick to carlton and then we wont complain about umpires paying free kicks from outside their zone

They were favourites coming into the game and deservedly so, as a couple of pundits have said this week, we are closing to tipping point when it comes to injuries to key players.

So to have a red hot crack and with a bit of luck we could have pinched it is a pretty fair effort.

I just hope we can pick up those 3-4 wins and if we get a few back from injury then watch out.

Watched some highlights as overseas so couldn’t watch the game (sounds positive based on the reactions here).

One thing I couldn’t find was the Newnes touched kick. A whole article on it on the AFL site and no clip, also removed from the highlights package. That’s a bit odd?
Because it was a complete balls up mistake and the AFL will bury it. Still waiting to see the other magical angles the 3rd umpire had that showed a definitive touch because channel 7 didn't bloody have it.

He's faux tough.

I sure hope someone talks him through what real toughness looks like. Doc has more bravery and more courage in his left foot that Shai does in his entire being.

I think that's what makes it worse. There's being a flog and acting like a dickhead, then there's doing it to someone like Sam. You can guarantee in the 80s or 90s Shai wouldn't have walked off the field.
He's tough, he's got his tatts and his funky hairdo... man is tough.

Because it was a complete balls up mistake and the AFL will bury it. Still waiting to see the other magical angles the 3rd umpire had that showed a definitive touch because channel 7 didn't bloody have it.
they're editing it as we speak

GratefulRespectfulFlatcoatretriever-max-1mb.gif

He's faux tough.

I sure hope someone talks him through what real toughness looks like. Doc has more bravery and more courage in his left foot that Shai does in his entire being.

I think that's what makes it worse. There's being a flog and acting like a dickhead, then there's doing it to someone like Sam. You can guarantee in the 80s or 90s Shai wouldn't have walked off the field.

Pretty sure the next time we play them that footage will get a run...

That would have grinded Vossy's gears big time...

Was impressed with the backline as a whole who withstood a lot of entries.

Boyd has got a lot going for him. Courageous (That mark against Adelaide)
Skilled on both feet (will only get better with more confidence and time in the seniors)
One on one/overhead marking (couple of nice marks and contests)

Good for Stocker too, who's going to need to bang the door down to get his spot back

Poster is always more interested in umpires than results. Enjoy your win.

I really feel for the umpires. The first 6 weeks was an absolute debacle across the board. Unfortunately they cop the brunt of the insane rule changes and grey areas they have to interpret. Swings and roundabouts for every club every week.

He's faux tough.

Let’s be honest. If Motlop can be the player Bolton is we will be as happy as when Murphy gave Collingwood fans the double bird.

Was impressed with the backline as a whole who withstood a lot of entries.

Boyd has got a lot going for him. Courageous (That mark against Adelaide)
Skilled on both feet (will only get better with more confidence and time in the seniors)
One on one/overhead marking (couple of nice marks and contests)

Good for Stocker too, who's going to need to bang the door down to get his spot back

If Boyd can replicate that form more often than not then Stocker can be moved up the ground over the summer. But lets just see how he goes the next few weeks. No doubt boyd was impressive last night (with ball use etc, not sure how his opponent went)

Let’s be honest. If Motlop can be the player Bolton is we will be as happy as when Murphy gave Collingwood fans the double bird.
My issue with him has nothing to do with his ability as a player and all to do with acting like a massive, unkempt phallus to one of the bravest and honest men in all of footy.

If Motlop did something like that to someone of that esteem I'd want Cripps to grab him by the scruff of the neck and have a not so subtle word with him, regardless of if he was as good as Bolton or was the 2nd coming of Andrew McLeod.

Back