Autopsy 2022 Round 16 - GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Sunday 3 July, 3.20 pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Jon Patton-Tom Scully two teams one cup CUP

Both teams are coming off a loss so both will be keen to have a win – or keen to get a better draft pick.

After a couple of soft wins, the Giants are back to where they were under Leon … playing shithouse. The Hawks can play some high-intensity footy, but generally only a quarter or 2 each game. So, this has the makings of a s**t game.

Date and Time: Sun Jul 3, 3rd July, GIANTS Stadium

Compare the Spuds:

GWS

Ranked 2nd for Tackles per game
Ranked 7th for Clearances per game
Ranked 7th for Disposals per game

Hawks

Ranked 10th for Tackles per game
Ranked 17th for Clearances per game
Ranked 15th for Disposals per game

Past Contests:

2021 R15 GWS 11.6 (72) defeated by Hawks 13.12 (90)

2021 R5 GWS 13.5 (83) defeated Hawks 7.7. (49)

2019 R21 GWS 4.5 (29) defeated by Hawks 13.7 (85)

What to look for:

Dylan Moore
He looks an absolute gun, but seems to run out of gas in the 2nd half of games …. Need to put someone on him.

Mitchell (Hodgy) Lewis
Making waves in 2022 … attacks the ball and kicks well … be a handful for Slammer.

Ned Reeves
We got belted by Darcy Cameron … we need a ruck man back or this could get ugly

The Match Ups

Hawks are young and rely on Mitchell, so we should dominate here …. Just get the ball forward … dirty ball if necessary to stop Sicily from taking 50 marks.

Do we have a ruck this week?

Davis back helps, but Haynes is looking well out of form. Need a lift down back as things seem to have gone awry defensively the last few weeks.

Jesse looking better each week … more mobile and taking marks. Riccardi and Loyd offer solid support, but the small forward position is worrisome … oh, for Dylan Moore

1. No long bombs to the forward line
2. Mids to get it forward no matter what
3. Take it on …. If we can’t defend … then we need to score heavily

This is a game we should win …. but the Hawks are a bit of a bogey team and I’m not confident. Giants by 3 goals

If you are going to play Haynes as a forward, you may as well debut Derksen!

Hopefully he is a sneaky chance.
By the end of the game he'd switched Haynes and Himmelberg. Very interested to see if we've reverted back to previous.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

shame on you.

we have had 7 premiership winning players on our team
Luke Power
Chad Cornes
Dean Brogan
Shane Mumford
Heath Shaw
Josh Hunt

and Stephen Gilham

just because he only played 15 games (14 in 2013 and 1 in 2014) for us (all winless btw) doesn’t mean he should be forgotten.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I'll reiterate my comment from before the Pies game - while I love Nick Haynes, he's currently a shadow of the player he was and should be dropped. Putting him forward was quite simply a wasted opportunity.

And for goodness sake, can we play a ******* ruckman as ruck this week.

I'd be happy to debut Derksen (Pies game was the perfect opportunity with no VFL game to clash) and see how he goes. HH to stay back and play the interceptor role, with Davis having proved his fitness.

Hopefully Lloyd is better for the run, Taranto too. Think his back is not 100%, but we're now short of inside mids.

Changes: Preuss for Keeffe in ruck. Derksen for Haynes as KPF.

I think de Boer's the only other one who becomes available. Not a lot of point in bringing him in for mine.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I'll reiterate my comment from before the Pies game - while I love Nick Haynes, he's currently a shadow of the player he was and should be dropped. Putting him forward was quite simply a wasted opportunity.

I'd be happy to debut Derksen (Pies game was the perfect opportunity with no VFL game to clash) and see how he goes. HH to stay back and play the interceptor role, with Davis having proved his fitness.

Hopefully Lloyd is better for the run, Taranto too. Think his back is not 100%, but we're now short of inside mids.

I think de Boer's the only other one who becomes available. Not a lot of point in bringing him in for mine.
Hopper avaliable this week? Maybe next

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I think you guys will win, but I'd be picking a recognised ruck to combat Reeves. He's one of our main advantages.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
This game could go either way just depending if Mitchell can get his team up, hopefully Wingard isnt playing he was a test for the last game and Gunston and Day may be back in also

Preuss has to come back in with Keefe trying hard but he was monstored in the ruck
Not sure if any others will be available, maybe MDB to rest Bruhn or either to be sub
Like many I would like to see Hamilton have another run but he has had a disrupted month or so with the 2 reserves byes and I think he either missed with illness or an injury or only played half

Not sure if the Hawks will bring in 1 of Hartigan or DGB as the defence looks lacking talls

An attempt at the team

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming Davis Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Bruhn Riccardi Taranto
Greene Hogan Lloyd
Preuss Coniglio Green

Ash (Mid rotation) XOH (Mid/Fwd rotation) HH (Def rotation) Wehr (Def/wing rotation) MDB Medi sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
This game could go either way just depending if Mitchell can get his team up, hopefully Wingard isnt playing he was a test for the last game and Gunston and Day may be back in also

Preuss has to come back in with Keefe trying hard but he was monstored in the ruck
Not sure if any others will be available, maybe MDB to rest Bruhn or either to be sub
Like many I would like to see Hamilton have another run but he has had a disrupted month or so with the 2 reserves byes and I think he either missed with illness or an injury or only played half

Not sure if the Hawks will bring in 1 of Hartigan or DGB as the defence looks lacking talls

An attempt at the team

Idun Taylor Haynes
Cumming Davis Kennedy
Whitfield Ward Kelly
Bruhn Riccardi Taranto
Greene Hogan Lloyd
Preuss Coniglio Green

Ash (Mid rotation) XOH (Mid/Fwd rotation) HH (Def rotation) Wehr (Def/wing rotation) MDB Medi sub
Saw Hartigan play at Footscray this past week and he would've given away 6 frees so would be pretty surprised if he gets named, DGB looked pretty solid took some nice marks down back. Hoping we see more of Bruhn in the mid rotation this week barely featured at all against the pies but Ash played a pretty prominent role in there. No idea what to do with Haynes at this point if he kicks those 2 at the start of the game we're probably saying it worked alright, thought he played well as a defensive foward on Moore for most of the game but he's too good to be playing that sort of role. Don't see a need for Keefe either as a ruck or a defender at this point, if Preuss and Flynn don't get up he just has to pick Briggs.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saw Hartigan play at Footscray this past week and he would've given away 6 frees so would be pretty surprised if he gets named, DGB looked pretty solid took some nice marks down back. Hoping we see more of Bruhn in the mid rotation this week barely featured at all against the pies but Ash played a pretty prominent role in there. No idea what to do with Haynes at this point if he kicks those 2 at the start of the game we're probably saying it worked alright, thought he played well as a defensive foward on Moore for most of the game but he's too good to be playing that sort of role. Don't see a need for Keefe either as a ruck or a defender at this point, if Preuss and Flynn don't get up he just has to pick Briggs.
DGB i thought was pretty good, but unlikely. Hartigan won't come back unless all our defenders are injured.

Blanck was good on debut and Sicily can take the other.

It'd likely be Blanck on Hogan and Sicily on Riccardi, you could also do it the other way seeing how athletic Riccardi is and is taller than Hogan.

Our changes will be along the lines of
Howe and Shiels out
Ward, Day, Wingard, Gunston as possible ins.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry for the intrusion but how long is Perryman expected to be out for?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
It was never narrowed down beyond "several weeks". But it was several ribs (and a pretty hard/unprotected hit) so I'd guess at 4-6 weeks, presuming no complications.

Last week's injury report stated "indefinite"; I presume there's one due out today but I'd expect it still to state "indefinite".

MinistryOfMajak

All Australian
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It was never narrowed down beyond "several weeks". But it was several ribs (and a pretty hard/unprotected hit) so I'd guess at 4-6 weeks, presuming no complications.

Last week's injury report stated "indefinite"; I presume there's one due out today but I'd expect it still to state "indefinite".
Thanks for that.

While I'm here, I watch a lot of your games and just thought I'd mention that I think Cumming is one of the best young players in the comp.

All the best guys.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Although I would like Keefe out for a ruck, it seems unlikely he gets dropped. Haynes deserves to get dropped on form but again I think that is unlikely. I can't see many changes but we somehow need to swing a ruck into this side.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The GIANTS could welcome back some big names to face the Hawks, with gun midfielder Jacob Hopper in line to play his first game since Round 2. Hopper has been sidelined for the past few months following back-to-back knee injuries, but will put his hand up for selection this week.
“The body’s feeling good, it’s been a while but that’s just footy sometimes unfortunately,” Hopper said. “I’m feeling ready, and hopefully I’ll get to have a run around soon and get my hands back on the footy again which will be nice.” Ruck duo Matt Flynn (quad) and Braydon Preuss (ankle) are also tests to take on the Hawks, but veteran Matt de Boer is available for selection after exiting concussion protocols.

HAWTHORN could be boosted by the return of triple premiership forward Jack Gunston for Sunday’s clash against the Giants. Gunston, who’s missed the past month of football due to an ankle injury, will face a fitness test later this week, as will young defender Will Day after he cleared the AFL’s health and safety protocols. Star forward Chad Wingard is also a chance to play following a calf injury. But ruck Max Lynch is set to miss another week due to concussion.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Would be good for at least one of Flynn or Preuss to get up, think they probably put Hopper through the 2s in his first week back based on how most of the other boys have been treated coming back from injury, MDB comes in not sure who for but I expect to see him. Excited to see Hopper back at either level might take some time to shake the rust off but will be fun to see him playing again.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Four players have been added to the GIANTS’ squad for Sunday’s clash against Hawthorn at GIANTS Stadium.

Ruck Matt Flynn is set to return early from a quad injury sustained in the lead up to round 14. After missing the past two matches, Flynn has been named in the ruck for Sunday’s match. Also included on an extended interchange are key forwards Zach Sproule and Wade Derksen as well as last week’s medi-sub, Irishman Callum Brown.

No players have gone out of the squad at this stage with the final team to be named at 5pm on Friday.

Midfield bull Jacob Hopper will line up in the VFL on Sunday for his first game since round two. The GIANTS’ VFL side take on Box Hill as a curtain-raiser at GIANTS Stadium on Sunday at 11:35am.

GWS v HAW.png

Back