Autopsy 2022 Round 16 - GWS Giants vs Hawthorn, Sunday 3 July, 3.20 pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum Brown has to be given more opportunities based on this performance.

He's not the only one who is thriving from the new coaching regime, temporary as it is.

Riccardi might have to get used to playing in the reserves.

Will Day what a brain fade! It takes a lot to make Josh Kelly angry. 2 weeks

Autopsy
Very difficult conditions out there today, so very hard to draw too many lessons for next week or the future more generally. But I'm pleased that we displayed good footy IQ in adapting to a style of play required under the circumstances.

Of those who enhanced their position IMHO, Callum Brown showed good speed and kicking skills, and I'd be happy to keep him in the side as a medium forward for future games. Since he's coming to the end of his (extended) allowance as a Cat B rookie, we really need to make a decision whether to keep him or not before the end of the season.

Jesse Hogan was one of the few out there whose marking capacity seemed unabated by the conditions. Phil Davis and Lachie Whitfield were two others who were impacted but seemingly less than most. Good to see both improving their games in the last few weeks.

Fantastic opening goal from the boundary line by Tanner Bruhn, but limited impact after that. Probably at risk of making way for Jacob Hopper, with O'Halloran the other.

The downside for me was (again) Nick Haynes. Really don't get why he's getting a guernsey ahead of Riccardi or even Derksen.

I thought Flynn was solid on a day that was pretty difficult for the big guys.

How good was Sam Taylor today. Cleaned up an in form Mitch Lewis.
Also Chook :fire::fire:. Surely he's an AA smokey.

How good was Sam Taylor today. Cleaned up an in form Mitch Lewis.
Also Chook :fire::fire:. Surely he's an AA smokey.
I'm surprised at how much he's been criticised this season on this board he's been one of the best KPD in the comp this year and should be right in the frame for AA, he was once again really awesome today in TOUGH conditions

finally home, fed & dried out - so some thoughts.

we didn’t capitalise on our chances early, they didn’t capitalise in the second - from there it was a slog and we pulled away late in the third and carried on with it in the last.

Callum Brown was very good.
Hogan excellent (except for one brain fade - just go back and kick it properly)
Lots of smothers - players putting themselves on the line - good to see.
I think we won the ruck & maul count.
For those who think Phil is past it need to have a good look at this game and then have a good long hard look at themselves.

A really good win in extremely trying conditions - with the added bonus of Hawthorn still remaining winless at Giants Stadium.

Weird game considering the conditions and Hawhtorn although low on the ladder has had plenty of really good performances taking it up to a bunch of the top teams in the competition but some thoughts

1. Cogs and Kelly were both really good in the midfield, Kelly's soccer off the ground to set up a goal was incredible
2. Maybe Ash's best game of the year 21 touches over 600 metres gained think he played a bit more behind the ball and some run through the midfield thought he was really effective
3. Brown was awesome to come in late and apply pressure like crazy, nice kicking for goal, attacking in the air well thought that game he played today was the type of style of player we've been missing this year. Don't think he'll replicate that obviously but think it's enough of a glimpse to give him a couple more cracks down the stretch.
4. Taylor just continues to be awesome, one of the best KPD in the competition and he's still under 25
5. Hogan's marking was outstanding espeically in these shocking conditions, was really helpful as a target around the ground and i50
6. Bruhn missing from the midfield rotation the last few weeks has been odd, might just be because we're short on small forwards and McVeigh views him as the man to go down there and play that sort of role, kicked an awesome first goal but wasn't too involved outside of that
7. Still don't know where Haynes fits in to all this, wasn't that effective up forward this week and there isn't really a spot for him down back with the current mix they're rolling with
8. Hard to take much out of the ruck situation with the conditions but Flynn was pretty solid, they mixed in quite a few unique options to chop him out including Haynes a couple times because it doesn't really matter who's rucking that much in these type of conditions but thought it was another pretty solid performance from Flynn overall
9. HH was great 600+ metres gained off only 14 kicks in those condiitons was crucial to gain territory
10. Phil was great and Whitfield found plenty of it but understandbly had some trouble using it
Think Hopper's in next week for XO and Peatling was listed at 1 week so probably plays just depending if it's 1s or 2s. A good test next week over in Adelaide against Port.

Last edited:
We are gonna miss Davis whenever he calls time, and Taylor will miss him most. He's the general of the defence and don't think we have anyone who can take the role, he makes everyone else play better just from being out there. Brown played a game against Geelong I think up fwd and had an impact, not as great as today but is a solid back up for minimum chips. I hope we find more Hogan's. DeBoer, Keefe, Heater to a degree, we are having a great strike rate with the moneyball types.

It was another good effort and nice to see the boys rewarded.
I sat by myself in the rain in the Suttor stand and got 2 seconds of TV time giving the ball to Jiath in the 1st qtr.
It took about 10 minutes before both sides adapted to playing the conditions.
Flynn did well against beanpole Reeves.
Mids had great chemistry and were super tough. Cogs, Kelly, Green (a bull) and TT. Great signs for going forward.
HH was really good and plays with confidence and a counter-attack weapon.
Ash caught my eye with clean hands and good disposal. He looked like he was having fun.
Backline was another level. Taylor and Phil marked and spoiled like champs and the other guys rarely got beaten. Lots of unrewarded running.
Umps are still so focused on Toby they never see what oppo players are doing to him. He was being worked over all day and didn't retaliate.
I will say it, Haynes was just terrible and our worst player. So unconvincing with everything and is a liability. I can't help but think he needs a month in the VFL.
Brown used the ball so well. Probably the Gaelic background, but he makes kicking look easy. Can hoof it and do skilful passes. He deserves another game.
Hogan's positioning, marking and nearly-marking made him the stand-out tall. If he didn't miss those easy goals he may have been BOG.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think team selection will have to honour the efforts of Brown and Wehr and pick them next week.
I haven't really taken Bruhn on board, he's not really convinced me. A bit like Jye Caldwell never did. If say it was a Bruhn vs Callaghan, i'd be going for Callaghan.

Think team selection will have to honour the efforts of Brown and Wehr and pick them next week.
I haven't really taken Bruhn on board, he's not really convinced me. A bit like Jye Caldwell never did. If say it was a Bruhn vs Callaghan, i'd be going for Callaghan.
In Bruhn's defence he has played forward a lot more then he has midfield so it is pretty easy to get lost in the shuffle down there when you're not a true forward, think whenever he's spent time on ball he's been impressive. Callaghan was super encouraging as well in the brief period we saw him in the time, I really just want to see him play again this season but not sure we will.

In Bruhn's defence he has played forward a lot more then he has midfield so it is pretty easy to get lost in the shuffle down there when you're not a true forward, think whenever he's spent time on ball he's been impressive. Callaghan was super encouraging as well in the brief period we saw him in the time, I really just want to see him play again this season but not sure we will.
If (when) tanner goes we won’t exactly be losing our next star though will we

1 week for Day's hit on Kelly
What was your boys view on this? i didn't think medium impact is suited tbh, he got him high yes but Kelly got right up, into the fight played the game on and had no effects from it. He it wasn't a super hard hit either.

What was your boys view on this? i didn't think medium impact is suited tbh, he got him high yes but Kelly got right up, into the fight played the game on and had no effects from it. He it wasn't a super hard hit either.
It was no harder than Selwood onTaylor end of last year and he got off .... but I think it’s got to the point where a deliberate bump that goes high should be an automatic week

On first view (live via TV) I thought it was just an accident in the wet, but on replay, there was a degree of premeditation. I'm not sure exactly what Day was trying to achieve with the action he took, perhaps just to disrupt Kelly picking up the ball? If so, he missed his target (i.e. Kelly's shoulder). While there wasn't a lot in it, it clearly stung Kelly as I've never seen him react the way he did.

So, not a lot in it, probably borderline between fine and 1 week, but the MRO has been on a campaign to eliminate hits to the head so rounded up.

It was no harder than Selwood onTaylor end of last year and he got off .... but I think it’s got to the point where a deliberate bump that goes high should be an automatic week
Selwoods hit was much harder..

On first view (live via TV) I thought it was just an accident in the wet, but on replay, there was a degree of premeditation. I'm not sure exactly what Day was trying to achieve with the action he took, perhaps just to disrupt Kelly picking up the ball? If so, he missed his target (i.e. Kelly's shoulder). While there wasn't a lot in it, it clearly stung Kelly as I've never seen him react the way he did.

So, not a lot in it, probably borderline between fine and 1 week, but the MRO has been on a campaign to eliminate hits to the head so rounded up.
Day looked like he was gonna get ball, realised he couldn’t get there in time and protected himself. Was a mistake but it’s borderline. It wasn’t much of a hit.

I know the conditions were not the best but I was still very disappointed with the defensive work of the team, mostly tackling and pressure and although kicking 11-6 looks good it doesnt count Haynes and Toby (I think OOTF) so I think lucky to get the win and really I would say the Hawks will be disappointed as they could have got the points with a bit more effort and luck
Some good was Hogans marking, Brown 4 goals and Whitfield getting back to his best
Wards holding the ball was terrible and hopefully he learns from that

6 day break into a trip to Port

Day looked like he was gonna get ball, realised he couldn’t get there in time and protected himself. Was a mistake but it’s borderline. It wasn’t much of a hit.

If it had been a Martin/Hawkins type player they would have got away with it as we all know AFL house has protected species for some

I think the reaction of the Giants players assisted in the suspension also

Remove this Banner Ad

Back