Autopsy 2022 Round 19 - Carlton v GWS Giants, Marvel Stadium @ 1.10 pm Sunday 24 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
It's going to be a short preview this week, because there doesn't seem to be much new to say. While it was nice that we didn't completely give up in the fourth quarter against the Lions, we were well shot in yet another third & fourth quarter fadeout after fighting back in the second quarter to be right in the match. Despite Jacob Hopper returning to the line-up, our midfield was badly beaten up, losing the clearances 2-1 to Lions. The disappointing aspect of that was that it wasn't Lachie Neale who put us to the sword, it was recalled VFL-grade Rhys Mathieson - which speaks to me of most likely a lack of desire on our part, or lack of technique. Up front, it was seemingly only Toby who threatened to kick goals, mainly because of a severe lack of inside 50s.

Conversely, our defenders had to work overtime against a surfeit of ball coming into the Lions F50. Suffice to say that Sam Taylor was superb in repelling attacks - especially his outstanding first quarter where he marked, spoiled or tackled literally every single attack coming his way. Harry Himmelberg worked pretty hard too, but there was just too much for them to do.

Looking back to our round 9 clash against the Blues, I can see a lot of similarities. Then, we let them get away to a 3-goal lead before pegging it back in the second and third quarters, before being overrun in the fourth quarter through weight of inside 50s. While Charlie Curnow was heavily restricted, he managed his only two goals in that last quarter, while their smalls also kicked away from us. Clearly, whatever early spark Spike McVeigh provided has been extinguished, so this is another tough game coming up for our boys. They'll have a 3-tall attack in McKay, Curnow & Silvagni, so I expect we'll keep the same defensive configuration of Keeffe-Taylor-HH-Haynes. Haynes wasn't great against Brisbane, but he was better, so unless we're prepared to give Leek Aleer a debut after one week back, I don't see the defence changing.

Not really much we can do in the midfield - we had all of our prime on-ballers in the Lions game - so hopefully they're embarrassed by their performance and come out breathing fire. The only change I can see is perhaps Preuss coming in for Flynn after his VFL effort. Up front, well as I said it seemed to be only Toby who was a threat, but that was as much the lack of ball going in. We did miss a few shots at point blank range too. As I've said before, I'd be willing to throw Wade Derksen in for a go - just something different for the Blues to respond to, and see how he goes. I'd do that with him as third tall - options for who he replaces would include Peatling & Lloyd, our small forwards who really haven't fired a shot since returning from injury, or Bruhn & O'Halloran our weakest mids. The final thought would be an option of bringing Cooper Hamilton back in to run one wing, up and down, to get the ball into I50 for us better than O'Halloran and also be able to get back and affect the defensive situation. However, I really don't think that's likely from the recent teams put out.

Just as likely there will be no change to the team this week, and no change to the result either.

Last edited:
Is Tom Green not favoured by Spike or something? He's been camped in the forward line and his contribution has dropped significantly.

Just as likely there will be no change to the team this week, and no change to the result either.
Preuss will surely return this week, but what really needs to change is the attitude of the players. It's the only thing left over the next five weeks that can change.

In- Pruess, Brander
Out- Brown, Keeffe

B Idun Taylor Wehr
HB Cumming Himmleberg Haynes
C- Ash Green Kelly
HF- Greene Riccardi Bruhn
F- Peatling Hogan Lloyd
FOLL- Preuss Coniglio Taranto
I/C- Hopper, Flynn, Bruhn, XOH
Sub- Brander

Pretty frustrating the lack of news that comes out. Is Kelly in concussion protocols or not, is Whitfield a chance to play etc.

FMD

The GIANTS will be forced to make at least two changes for Sunday’s clash with Carlton at Marvel Stadium with Josh Kelly and Connor Idun both ruled out with injury.

Kelly suffered a concussion with just a few minutes to go in Saturday’s loss to the Lions in Canberra. The co-captain failed a concussion test post-game and has been placed under the 12-day concussion protocols.

Meanwhile, scans have revealed young defender Idun has suffered a broken foot, which will sideline him for four-to-six weeks. “It’s really disappointing for Connor who’s had a great season,” said GIANTS Head of Medical James Rahme. “He reported soreness following the game and upon investigation, scans revealed a break in his right foot. He won’t require surgery but will be in a moon boot for the next few weeks and we anticipate he’ll be sidelined for at least a month.”

Star midfielder Lachie Whitfield is a test for Sunday’s match after missing last week’s game with a minor hip flexor injury.

Defender Adam Kennedy is also a test, but expected to be available if he clears his final concussion protocols after missing round 18.

Fellow midfielder Harry Perryman won’t be available this week but is tracking well as he returns to full fitness after breaking four ribs in round 13.

At a guess, straight swap: Whitfield for Kelly and Kennedy for Idun.

FMD

The GIANTS will be forced to make at least two changes for Sunday’s clash with Carlton at Marvel Stadium with Josh Kelly and Connor Idun both ruled out with injury.

Kelly suffered a concussion with just a few minutes to go in Saturday’s loss to the Lions in Canberra. The co-captain failed a concussion test post-game and has been placed under the 12-day concussion protocols.

Meanwhile, scans have revealed young defender Idun has suffered a broken foot, which will sideline him for four-to-six weeks. “It’s really disappointing for Connor who’s had a great season,” said GIANTS Head of Medical James Rahme. “He reported soreness following the game and upon investigation, scans revealed a break in his right foot. He won’t require surgery but will be in a moon boot for the next few weeks and we anticipate he’ll be sidelined for at least a month.”

Star midfielder Lachie Whitfield is a test for Sunday’s match after missing last week’s game with a minor hip flexor injury.

Defender Adam Kennedy is also a test, but expected to be available if he clears his final concussion protocols after missing round 18.

Fellow midfielder Harry Perryman won’t be available this week but is tracking well as he returns to full fitness after breaking four ribs in round 13.

At a guess, straight swap: Whitfield for Kelly and Kennedy for Idun.

Cheers mate. Been waiting for this update from the club all day.

Will be interesting if Haynes returns to the backline for Idun.

Surely the experiment of him playing forward is over. It's not working.

Any value he has of trade bait is being diminished every time he plays out of position.

Will be interesting if Haynes returns to the backline for Idun.

Surely the experiment of him playing forward is over. It's not working.

Any value he has of trade bait is being diminished every time he plays out of position.
I doubt that we trade him, given he's been a faithful servant, and has quite a few years to go on his contract. Hopefully he gets over whatever has ailed him this year and back to normal next year.

He played back last week, and probably with Carlton having a similarly tall forward line, he'll do so again and effectively Kennedy coming back will replace Idun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt that we trade him, given he's been a faithful servant, and has quite a few years to go on his contract. Hopefully he gets over whatever has ailed him this year and back to normal next year.

He played back last week, and probably with Carlton having a similarly tall forward line, he'll do so again and effectively Kennedy coming back will replace Idun.
The issue is that Haynes isn't a negative defender and will get exposed if he has a player that keeps him accountable. Himmelberg is currently playing the interceptor role and we can't have 2 of them in the same team. Unfortunately it might be time to put Haynes in the rack for the rest of the year to get his body and his head right. He is clearly lacking confidence. I would love to see Aleer get a run before the end of the year.

Pretty sure the Giants are now trying to finish as low as possible... Dropping Tom Green, picking Brander on a wing, picking Sproule. This would have to be the worst team we have put on the park for quite some time.

We have picked for height... Which ultimately means we will be run off our feet. Check this out
Preuss 206cm
Keeffe 204cm
Briggs 200cm
Sproule 198cm
Taylor 196cm
Brander 195cm (emergency but will no doubt be the sub)
Himmelberg 195cm
Riccardi 195cm

Look me in the eye and tell me we aren't tanking

Look me in the eye and tell me we aren't tanking
Easy
images

Really scratching my head at Tom Green's omission. Spike has been playing him less inside as the weeks go by, ofc his output is going to drop. I get that we have a glut of one-paced inside mids and some of them will have to rotate through the forward line, but of all of them, Tom Green, is probably the one who shouldn't be put forward.

Really scratching my head at Tom Green's omission. Spike has been playing him less inside as the weeks go by, ofc his output is going to drop. I get that we have a glut of one-paced inside mids and some of them will have to rotate through the forward line, but of all of them, Tom Green, is probably the one who shouldn't be put forward.
Tom's disposal has become a little predictable, oppositions have worked him out for now; he'll release in tight from above his shoulders.
He's only young, just needs a bit more variation in heavy traffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back