Autopsy 2022 Round 19 - Carlton v GWS Giants, Marvel Stadium @ 1.10 pm Sunday 24 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview
  • Nov 23, 2015
    AFL Club
    GWS
    It's going to be a short preview this week, because there doesn't seem to be much new to say. While it was nice that we didn't completely give up in the fourth quarter against the Lions, we were well shot in yet another third & fourth quarter fadeout after fighting back in the second quarter to be right in the match. Despite Jacob Hopper returning to the line-up, our midfield was badly beaten up, losing the clearances 2-1 to Lions. The disappointing aspect of that was that it wasn't Lachie Neale who put us to the sword, it was recalled VFL-grade Rhys Mathieson - which speaks to me of most likely a lack of desire on our part, or lack of technique. Up front, it was seemingly only Toby who threatened to kick goals, mainly because of a severe lack of inside 50s.

Conversely, our defenders had to work overtime against a surfeit of ball coming into the Lions F50. Suffice to say that Sam Taylor was superb in repelling attacks - especially his outstanding first quarter where he marked, spoiled or tackled literally every single attack coming his way. Harry Himmelberg worked pretty hard too, but there was just too much for them to do.

Looking back to our round 9 clash against the Blues, I can see a lot of similarities. Then, we let them get away to a 3-goal lead before pegging it back in the second and third quarters, before being overrun in the fourth quarter through weight of inside 50s. While Charlie Curnow was heavily restricted, he managed his only two goals in that last quarter, while their smalls also kicked away from us. Clearly, whatever early spark Spike McVeigh provided has been extinguished, so this is another tough game coming up for our boys. They'll have a 3-tall attack in McKay, Curnow & Silvagni, so I expect we'll keep the same defensive configuration of Keeffe-Taylor-HH-Haynes. Haynes wasn't great against Brisbane, but he was better, so unless we're prepared to give Leek Aleer a debut after one week back, I don't see the defence changing.

Not really much we can do in the midfield - we had all of our prime on-ballers in the Lions game - so hopefully they're embarrassed by their performance and come out breathing fire. The only change I can see is perhaps Preuss coming in for Flynn after his VFL effort. Up front, well as I said it seemed to be only Toby who was a threat, but that was as much the lack of ball going in. We did miss a few shots at point blank range too. As I've said before, I'd be willing to throw Wade Derksen in for a go - just something different for the Blues to respond to, and see how he goes. I'd do that with him as third tall - options for who he replaces would include Peatling & Lloyd, our small forwards who really haven't fired a shot since returning from injury, or Bruhn & O'Halloran our weakest mids. The final thought would be an option of bringing Cooper Hamilton back in to run one wing, up and down, to get the ball into I50 for us better than O'Halloran and also be able to get back and affect the defensive situation. However, I really don't think that's likely from the recent teams put out.

Just as likely there will be no change to the team this week, and no change to the result either.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back