Game Day 2022 Round 2 - Richmond Tigers vs GWS Giants, Sunday 27th March 3:30PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing the Tigers at the MCG, well let’s take this as a mulligan, official squad below.

1648106824339-png.1353172

We played three games at the venue last year (none in 2020), beating both Collingwood and Melbourne but losing to the Hawks in between, almost a summary of our season.

Coincidentally we’ve also played against the Tigers three times since, a 12 point win at home in 2020 and a 39 point win at Docklands in round 22 last year similarly split by a loss, by 4 points at Docklands in round 9.

This is how we lined up in our last head to head, Round 22 2021
1647866871232.png

Plenty of changes in both teams from the above to last week:

Tigers 10
Outs: Vlastuin, Garthwaite, Stack, Dow, Lambert, Parker, Mansell, Coleman-Jones, M Rioli & Ralphsmith who ended up coming on as the sub for Prestia.
Ins: Tarrant, Balta, Broad, Ross, Pickett, Soldo, Martin, Castagna, Aarts, Gibcus

Giants 7
Outs: Stein, Peatling, Haynes, Kennedy, Sproule, Hogan, Mumford, Bruhn
Ins: Keefe, Davis, Green, Flynn, Hill, Riccardi, Cogs, Brander

More are coming with both Prestia and Reiwoldt already ruled out of Saturday’s game for the Tigers.
Caddy a probable in, not sure on the other forced change.

It’s hard to see the Giants going in unchanged despite a rare injury free game; XOH with 7 disposals and 2 tackles in 81% game time and Ash with 8 disposals and 3 tackles in 80% game time should both be nervous.
Our conversion rate for inside 50s in the second half was terrible, mostly thanks to delivery, but also some terrible shots on goal, we won the inside 50s after halftime, but were outscored 8 goals to 3.

Possible changes are Hogan/Pruess and Nick Haynes in for Riccardi and ??, I'd also like to see Bruhn replace XOH/MDB.

Since the game that mattered most we’ve had the edge on Richmond, and given their rather insipid performance last week we should go in favourites this week, especially with the two star outs.

GWS by 24

Last edited:

Since the game that mattered most we’ve had the edge on Richmond, and given their rather insipid performance last week we should go in favourites this week, especially with the two star outs.

We've never beaten Richmond at the MCG, and with Prestia and Riewoldt out, this is now a golden opportunity.

The return of Haynes for Keeffe should fix the backline. If Hogan is fit he will replace Brander. Preuss needs a chance so we can see what he's capable of. Until we do that we can't make a call on him or Flynn.

We've never beaten Richmond at the MCG, and with Prestia and Riewoldt out, this is now a golden opportunity.

The return of Haynes for Keeffe should fix the backline. If Hogan is fit he will replace Brander. Preuss needs a chance so we can see what he's capable of. Until we do that we can't make a call on him or Flynn.
I think Flynn and Pruess are different enough that we can play both.
Through his NEAFL games Flynn was rated the best kick on goal at the club and his mobility makes me think he'd be a freak at HF when not rucking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what's up with Hopper? Is this his knee that played up in pre-season giving him some issues? Or something else?
Not sure what the injury is but could explain the low game time against the swans.

Knowing our medical team “managed” will be a 6 month injury and he will be touch and go for a finals return

Preuss, Bruhn, Hogan, Haynes seems like the 4 that make the most sense to me probably see Peatling as the medi sub
Yeah for Flynn, Brander, Keefe and DeBoer

Peatling in and DeBoer medi-sub 😉

I'm more than happy with Preuss as no 1 ruck with Riccardi filling in.

I can see us getting them with size in this game. However two rucks will make us too big and we may get run off our feet.

I like Peatling's pace and aggression. We have to play Bruhn...it's time.

Yeah for Flynn, Brander, Keefe and DeBoer

Peatling in and DeBoer medi-sub 😉

I'm more than happy with Preuss as no 1 ruck with Riccardi filling in.

I can see us getting them with size in this game. However two rucks will make us too big and we may get run off our feet.

I like Peatling's pace and aggression. We have to play Bruhn...it's time.
Flynn's already named on field he's not going to be getting dropped probably shouldn't after last weeks performance anyway.

If Hopper is good to go next week and we get another quiet game from XO he's probably the one I'd drop, would slide Perryman up the ground to fill his whole and then bring Hopper in.

so…
out: Keefe MdB & Hopper
in: Haynes Hogan & Bruhn

that makes a fwd line of Hogan Brander Riccardi & HH very, very tall

also - no Pruess
I expect we'll see a lot of midfielders going forward ahead of the ball, or should I say, I hope we'll see..

so…
out: Keefe MdB & Hopper
in: Haynes Hogan & Bruhn

that makes a fwd line of Hogan Brander Riccardi & HH very, very tall

also - no Pruess
So Brander keeps his spot.
WOW.

Playing the Tigers at the MCG, well let’s take this as a mulligan, official squad below.

1648106824339-png.1353172

We played three games at the venue last year (none in 2020), beating both Collingwood and Melbourne but losing to the Hawks in between, almost a summary of our season.

Coincidentally we’ve also played against the Tigers three times since, a 12 point win at home in 2020 and a 39 point win at Docklands in round 22 last year similarly split by a loss, by 4 points at Docklands in round 9.

This is how we lined up in our last head to head, Round 22 2021
View attachment 1351035

Plenty of changes in both teams from the above to last week:

Tigers 10
Outs: Vlastuin, Garthwaite, Stack, Dow, Lambert, Parker, Mansell, Coleman-Jones, M Rioli & Ralphsmith who ended up coming on as the sub for Prestia.
Ins: Tarrant, Balta, Broad, Ross, Pickett, Soldo, Martin, Castagna, Aarts, Gibcus

Giants 7
Outs: Stein, Peatling, Haynes, Kennedy, Sproule, Hogan, Mumford, Bruhn
Ins: Keefe, Davis, Green, Flynn, Hill, Riccardi, Cogs, Brander

More are coming with both Prestia and Reiwoldt already ruled out of Saturday’s game for the Tigers.
Caddy a probable in, not sure on the other forced change.

It’s hard to see the Giants going in unchanged despite a rare injury free game; XOH with 7 disposals and 2 tackles in 81% game time and Ash with 8 disposals and 3 tackles in 80% game time should both be nervous.
Our conversion rate for inside 50s in the second half was terrible, mostly thanks to delivery, but also some terrible shots on goal, we won the inside 50s after halftime, but were outscored 8 goals to 3.

Possible changes are Hogan/Pruess and Nick Haynes in for Riccardi and ??, I'd also like to see Bruhn replace XOH/MDB.

GWS by 24

Why do I get cold sweats and the shakes when I think of playing Richmond at the G ? Do I have Covid ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 1352739

This is so much more than football. I wish the guy all the best wishes during this challenging time. Would rather have him play against us than him have to endure the pain he will be feeling at this time.

All the best to Dusty

So Brander keeps his spot.
WOW.

I’m happy to see him go again. I reckon the occasion got the better of him last week. Still got a goal and could have had 3-4 to be fair.

Let’s give him one more chance. Then back to west coast he goes

Because they need him haha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back