Autopsy 2022 Round 20 - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, 2.10 pm Saturday 30 July @ SCG

Preview
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
An even shorter preview this round. Effort was there today, but execution again was our deficiency, and we dropped off effort/skill in the second half. We struggled to find targets in the F50 with Hogan being managed, with Toby the main target and Riccardi burned on leads too many times. The mids were again beaten in the contest despite Preuss and Briggs dominating hitouts, and while defence was busy there were just too many good balls from Carlton. There's really not much left for GWS this year except to try a few players to give newbies (or low-game players) a taste of first grade, and to have a look at what they've got.

There didn't seem to be any injuries today, but hopefully Kelly returns next week from concussion, Whitfield from his injury, and Jesse Hogan & Tom Green from being rested (and hopefully fresher and raring to go). Perryman was supposedly a week away, but I'm going to presume he's not ready to return.

The Preuss-Briggs combo worked for me, so even with Hogan coming back in, I'd hope we'd keep those two, and Riccardi forward - so Sproule back to VFL. The two McCartins are a handful and 3 KPFs will be needed IMHO to try to overcome them.

Down back, we'll have to combat Franklin, Reid & Amartey as talls, plus their small/medium players - plenty of dangerous options there. I just can't see how we can justify Keeffe - his direct opponent lost him multiple times today. Haynes was better than earlier in the year, though still well short of his past form. I would love us to hand Leek Aleer a debut - he could play mainly on Joel Amartey. We could go smaller, and have Haynes on the third tall with medium defenders on the rest, but we seem to like the 4 tall set up at the moment. (Essentially, Haynes is taking the place of Idun.) The Aleer selection probably won't happen, I know.

In the middle Green and Kelly need to come back in. O'Halloran is normally a scapegoat, but I actually thought he was decent today and would prefer to keep him; but sense that he'll make way for Kelly. For Green, it should be Tanner Bruhn or Jacob Hopper (or both!), who was wayward with his kicking. The other likely scapegoat is likely to be be Callum Brown. I thought he had a decent game down back, though; took a number of intercepts, and his disposal was mostly good. He's also evasive and got some speed. Unfortunately, he'll be remembered for the cold drop of an easy mark in the defensive goal square that was then kicked through for a goal. We've also got Whitfield to return, if he's right to go. Probably more evidence pointing to either XOH or Brown being dropped.

I'd also love to get Cooper Hamilton in, maybe giving him a wing role (think I said that last week), and perhaps give Ash a tagging role with some speed in the forward half on either Heeney or Papley. But that won't happen for sure - as someone said, Hamilton is clearly on the outer with McVeigh!

So, my changes:

OUT: Sproule, Bruhn, Hopper (but more likely to be Brown), O'Halloran, Keeffe
IN: Hogan, Kelly, Green, Whitfield, Aleer

Taylor Himmelberg Aleer
Haynes Cumming Wehr
Whitfield Green Kennedy
Greene Peatling Taranto
Hogan Riccardi Briggs
Preuss Coniglio Kelly
IC: Brown Ash Ward Lloyd

That side would xertainly be classier and better balanced than the team against Carlton.

Can we spring an upset against the Swans? The head says 'no', the heart says '* I'd love to do so!'.

Thoughts?

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
An even shorter preview this round. Effort was there today, but execution again was our deficiency, and we dropped off effort/skill in the second half. We struggled to find targets in the F50 with Hogan being managed, with Toby the main target and Riccardi burned on leads too many times. The mids were again beaten in the contest despite Preuss and Briggs dominating hitouts, and while defence was busy there were just too many good balls from Carlton. There's really not much left for GWS this year except to try a few players to give newbies (or low-game players) a taste of first grade, and to have a look at what they've got.

There didn't seem to be any injuries today, but hopefully Kelly returns next week from concussion, Whitfield from his injury, and Jesse Hogan & Tom Green from being rested (and hopefully fresher and raring to go). Perryman was supposedly a week away, but I'm going to presume he's not ready to return.

The Preuss-Briggs combo worked for me, so even with Hogan coming back in, I'd hope we'd keep those two, and Riccardi forward - so Sproule back to VFL. The two McCartins are a handful and 3 KPFs will be needed IMHO to try to overcome them.

Down back, we'll have to combat Franklin, Reid & Amartey as talls, plus their small/medium players - plenty of dangerous options there. I just can't see how we can justify Keeffe - his direct opponent lost him multiple times today. Haynes was better than earlier in the year, though still well short of his past form. I would love us to hand Leek Aleer a debut - he could play mainly on Joel Amartey. We could go smaller, and have Haynes on the third tall with medium defenders on the rest, but we seem to like the 4 tall set up at the moment. (Essentially, Haynes is taking the place of Idun.) The Aleer selection probably won't happen, I know.

In the middle Green and Kelly need to come back in. O'Halloran is normally a scapegoat, but I actually thought he was decent today and would prefer to keep him; but sense that he'll make way for Kelly. For Green, it should be Tanner Bruhn or Jacob Hopper (or both!), who was wayward with his kicking. The other likely scapegoat is likely to be be Callum Brown. I thought he had a decent game down back, though; took a number of intercepts, and his disposal was mostly good. He's also evasive and got some speed. Unfortunately, he'll be remembered for the cold drop of an easy mark in the defensive goal square that was then kicked through for a goal. We've also got Whitfield to return, if he's right to go. Probably more evidence pointing to either XOH or Brown being dropped.

I'd also love to get Cooper Hamilton in, maybe giving him a wing role (think I said that last week), and perhaps give Ash a tagging role with some speed in the forward half on either Heeney or Papley. But that won't happen for sure - as someone said, Hamilton is clearly on the outer with McVeigh!

So, my changes:

OUT: Sproule, Bruhn, Hopper (but more likely to be Brown), O'Halloran, Keeffe
IN: Hogan, Kelly, Green, Whitfield, Aleer

Taylor Himmelberg Aleer
Haynes Cumming Wehr
Whitfield Green Kennedy
Greene Peatling Taranto
Hogan Riccardi Briggs
Preuss Coniglio Kelly
IC: Brown Ash Ward Lloyd

That side would certainly be classier and better balanced than the team against Carlton.

Can we spring an upset against the Swans? The head says 'no', the heart says '* I'd love to do so!'.

Thoughts?

The differences from Round 1 are that Davis, Idun, Hill, De Boer, Perryman, are all out injured. We'd be crazy to include Flynn if he's available because the Swans made him look like a lumbering dinosaur. Bruhn is either not in form or not interested so he can have a rest. Surely Brander won't be selected?

The inclusion of Preuss and Hogan would be big improvements, but the only difference the Swans will care about is Toby. I bet his MOTY effort today would have given them nightmares.

It's not a bad team on paper, GS, and they'll come out hard because it's the Swans, but probably not be able to run the game out, unless there's a major turnaround in attitude or mojo or whatever you want to call it.

Still, I really hope we cause an upset. Somehow.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Now before we get into my "brief" but meaningful preview its time for a little quiz (or fun)

So who are the 5 current most hated players in the AFL? Well everyone I have a count down for you all.

5. TOBY GREENE

Bit of a low hanging fruit this one, yes he has done what each of us have wanted to do before and given an umpire a whack, but you have to remember these players are supposed to be role models for the next generation.

2908_toby_greene_tribunal

4. TOBY GREENE

Starting to get a bit more serious now, as mentioned in number 5 that AFL players set an example for the next generation, well Toby Greene actually wrote a letter to himself as a kid stating that players should be setting better examples for their younger fans.

WHAT A HYPOCRITE -

3. TOBY GREENE

He is a dirty grub on the field, doing whatever he can to get ahead of his opposition. Knees, Feet, Arms, Headbutts anything is not off limits for himself. During his career he has been charged by the AFL Tribunal on 22 different occasions, had 7 suspensions and had $30,000 worth of fines.

4FED1CBC00000578-0-image-a-63_1536472246504.jpg

2. Toby Greene

YET AGAIN the pattern continues, not only is he a dirty grub on the field but he is off the field, guilty of assault in 2014 (and lucky to escape with a fine) he has also had a reputation for his behaviour in school (And I know someone personally who was bullied by him quite heavily when she was younger).

7bbec8bf1a3309ab629ccf45f9125524dff24d2c

1. TOBY GREENE

To no one's surprise the MOST hated player in the AFL is none other than Toby Greene, but what puts him at number 1 ahead of all the above controversies? Well it is simply because he is the major player standing in our way this weekend, if we manage to stop Toby Greene, we stop the giants. The issue is it is a lot easier said than done, so I have come up with a few simple solutions.

- Tonya Harding the guy walking into the ground

- Team Defensive effort

Number one it will have to be a team defensive effort to stop him, I imagine Rampe will be his direct head to head match up in defence but we will need the McCartin's to cut across as much as possible and our smalls to assist in pressuring him.

- Stop the supply

The best method for stopping him and the Giants this weekend will be to simply win the midfield battle, if we can win the midfield battle, limit their supply and forced rushed kicks inside their forward 50, this will allow our zone set up to crush his spirits (Like how he tries to crush players rib cages). If we can do this we will win the game.

Recent Encounters
Round 1 2022 - Sydney by 20 points at ANZ Stadium
Elimination Final 2020 - GWS by 1 point in Tasmania
Round 18 - 2021 - Sydney by 26 at Metricon

Form Guide
View attachment 1456624
Sydney come in with the stronger form out of the two teams, BUT derby matches have always thrown up upsets and we have tended to drink our own bath water at times this season so I am expecting GWS to come out firing in this one, they are better on paper than what their recent results show.

The Left Field Key Match Up

Callum Mills vs Tom Green (The better of the Green'e's in my opinion)

Tom Green is very quickly becoming one of the up and coming stars of the competition, and in and under beast who can also damage on the outside he is a bit of a hybrid between Mills and Oliver. If we can limit his influence this weekend it will go along way to winning. Because of this I like Mills in a direct head to head matchup as he will be able to hurt him going the other way.

The Ryan Clarke Blanket

Congratulations Lachie Whitfield, I expect you will blanketed on Saturday and kept warm by the delightful Ryan Clarke.

Final Say and Prediction

I expect GWS to come out firing this weekend (Similar to their match with Carlton last week), the key question will be if they can keep it up for 4 quarters. If Sydney can weather the storm at first and go into quarter time either level or with a lead I will personally be feeling pretty confident.

Not expecting a big match from Franklin this weekend, but put down Papley for a 4 goal haul as Sydney roll out 30 point winners.

I know I said the only change the Swans would care about is Toby, but this is ridiculous...

They even called the preview "Sydney vs GWS - Who are the 5 most hated players in the AFL?

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Perryman, Kelly, Whitfield and Hogan back is a very nice group of ins, wonder how Perryman's role is going to look with a full slate of healthy mids. Idun out for the year is a loss and might mean we see a Hamilton recall at some point to play a similar role, can't play as tall as Idun can but could match up with smalls pretty well. Finn only listed 1-2 weeks away while Stone only 1 so there's a decent chance we'll see both again this year. As great as it would be to see Stone again really think he should be shut down and and be extra careful, but hey not a doctor so maybe it's alright. Super excited to see Finn back in the mix soon.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Here's what afl.com.au reckon our changes should be ... (not that I agree exactly) ...

gws-giants.jpg

The Giants have been battling to settle on a combination for the past month and will make a few more changes this week for the Sydney Derby. Jesse Hogan and Tom Green were both managed last week and should return, while Lachie Whitfield (hip) was close to playing Carlton. Josh Kelly also missed last week with concussion and will be available if he continues to pass his tests.

R19 medical substitute: Jake Stein (unused)

Verdict: Hogan for Zach Sproule, Green for Kieren Briggs, Kelly (if fit) for Callum Brown and Whitfield (if fit) for Tanner Bruhn. – Michael Whiting

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Some Mark McVeigh comments ...

GIANTS interim coach Mark McVeigh is hopeful his side will regain a plethora of important players for the Battle of the Bridge against Sydney. The Giants were without Lachie Whitfield (hip), Josh Kelly (concussion) and Harry Perryman (ribs) in their 36-point loss to Carlton, while Jesse Hogan and Tom Green were both managed.

McVeigh believes all five should be available for the clash with their cross-town rivals, but said they’ll take a look at the balance of their team and how they could all fit in. “I think we do,” McVeigh said regarding whether he will bring them in. “I mean, you think about Whitfield, Kelly, Perryman, Tom Green, Jesse Hogan, all available next week. You have to argue that they‘re in our best team, clearly. Again, you‘ve got to weigh up the balance and how it looks and you think about Whitfield and Kelly, having them on those loose ball gets probably would have helped us. Whitfield has to pass a few things. Kelly will come out of concussion protocols. Perryman will have to tick off again this week how he’s going. He trained really well last week so he’s still got a main session to get through. We will have a good week in the match committee for sure this week.”

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
H.Perryman, J.Kelly, L.Whitfield, J.Hogan, T.Green, L.Aleer
Out:
X.O'Halloran (omitted), K.Briggs (omitted), J.Riccardi (omitted), Z.Sproule (omitted), T.Bruhn (omitted), L.Keeffe (omitted), J.Stein (Medi-Sub)

Last week's sub: J.Stein (unused)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Only 1 ruckman and no Keeffe as backup. A nice test for Preuss if he wants to be the man.
A little surprised that Brown retained his spot, but good they are giving him a reasonable opportunity.
A strong and, dare I say, balanced team.
Probably just unbalanced with a single tall forward and no spare ruckman, unless Spike throws HH (or Haynes, hopefully not!) forward and leave a standard backline setup.

Wonder if Brown plays forward or back this week? If it's just Hogan up front, Brown could be that taller medium marking forward with some pace as well.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I've watched Aleer in the VFL the last two weeks and he has clean hands, a smooth mover, good tank and never panics.
I'm really pleased to see him in the team and he seems like a nice bloke.

Beautiful moment. Hope he plays really well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Scrapporet

Cancelled
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
Real good feeling about this game the boys want this game bad not only can I see us winning but it will be at least a 5 goal margin.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Tip if you are driving. Past few times at the SCG I have parked in the Entertainment Quarter carpark.
Eaten lunch before the game somewhere.
After the siren gone to the 7 Eleven for a couple of ice creams and drinks. The guy has a ticket validator unit on the counter. Have them out in the seats to let the major traffics out of the carpark.
I then go to the parking machine, not the human teller.
It has been $10 or $11.
Go Giants!!!

Back