Autopsy 2022 Round 20 - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, 2.10 pm Saturday 30 July @ SCG

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
There is a very fine line in footy between success and failure, if a team drops 10% in work ethic it generally gets smashed particularly when you play a team which is well drilled and works both ways.

We need to get used to this for the rest of the year. The coach should use the time to get some games into kids like Hamilton, Aleer and co.

We can also stamp the papers of a few blokes that aren’t going to get there like O’Halloran.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Essendon, GWS & Giants Womens
Bit too stagnant. Swans keep playing on. It’s rare that we play on. They have lost their run and confidence.
It is a lovely day, but methinks we are in for a spanking.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Sam Taylor better get All Australian, he’s one of the few guys that can hold his head high.

Scrapporet

Cancelled
Apr 17, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
Real good feeling about this game the boys want this game bad not only can I see us winning but it will be at least a 5 goal margin.

Nope never again we have some good names on paper but it is time to face facts we have players stealing a paycheck at the moment. The guys on long term deals are just taking the piss.

Time for a clean out just not sure who would buy any of them.

Clarko wouldn't touch us I'm afraid. The only guy on a long term deal I would keep is Toby. Toby and Taylor always have a dig the others I wouldn't feed.

To see Whitfield snarling at a debutant was embarrassing and shows poor leadership from a senior player.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
What an embarrassment, Cogs set the scene with not being enough of a leader of the club to play through some soreness and that set the tone for the game no pride in the club and realistically the club needs to start again and clear the overpaid players who are only interested in checking the pay packet they are getting
This will be hard to watch the next 4 games as they will likely be 10+ goal losses

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting how Davis spoke and said when it was someones debut it was a reason to lift to make it a more memorable game for the debutant, not sure what speech the coaches gave and also the senior players but it did the opposite of lifting the effort of the players

Joke of a club all of the players, coaches and management

Autopsy
Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Some interesting comments by McVeigh:
"There's just the unfortunate part of dealing with whether players have checked out or not. "That's as honest as you possibly can be. "There were probably eight players that really went to the wall today – Kelly, Whitfield, Perryman, Taylor, Ward, Hogan, Greene and Kennedy. "I thought those eight players fought right through to the end and gave absolutely everything. Eight players doing that is not enough."
McVeigh was pleased with Sam Taylor, who despite having three second half goals kicked on him by Lance Franklin, was clearly his team's best player, and Harry Perryman, who made a successful return after seven weeks out with broken ribs. "They are ready to take this club to a different standard because they're honest, their feedback is strong, they're not afraid to upset anyone and they want to win. "The quicker those type of players can sit among our leaders, the better off we'll be. That's the reality of it. "We've got a tremendous amount of leadership from a lot of players for a long period of time, but there needs to be a changeover in my mind."

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Good press conference by MM so hopefully some players understand what is required to be an AFL player because several belong in the country league

Swans with 92% tackle effectiveness says something about effort

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
we got our first free kick with 19 seconds left on the clock

I’m calling bull s#*t
So frustrating that some of their goals resulted from dubious frees and non- calls.
I saw some swan land on Aleer’s back, no call, ball spilled to Reid who threw the ball from the ground into a swan’s hands and they kicked another goal.
Hate when a team plays badly but the scumpires still manage to help the winning team pile on more goals.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Most of the players need a complete attitude adjustment as they have no idea on how to play the game
Not sure what the coaches are being paid for as nothing they do has changed the lack of tackling, lack of forward pressure, poor ball movement pretty much almost as bad as North
Felt that too. Got the impression that some are just playing the game like a dead rubber and not seeing the potential of game time. There are some exclusions. Slammer. Toby plays like every game is his last.

KevDawg

EFC & GWS
Jun 6, 2015
Now Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Heeney marked a hanger over Whitfield so turns around arms out blaming it on Aleer. I couldn't see what he did wrong, he was out of position to spoil and it was Lachie's opponent taking the mark.
Third man up expectation, perhaps?

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Some interesting comments by McVeigh:

"There were probably eight players that really went to the wall today – Kelly, Whitfield, Perryman, Taylor, Ward, Hogan, Greene and Kennedy.

That means the following players "checked out":

Cumming
Haynes
Himmelberg
Taranto
XOH
Peatling
Lloyd
Preuss
Hopper
Green
Brown
Aleer
Ash
Wehr

Today felt like a re-run of the worst of 2020. I thought we'd moved on from that.

Something needs to happen urgently, otherwise it won't just be the players checking out.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
So frustrating that some of their goals resulted from dubious frees and non- calls.
I saw some swan land on Aleer’s back, no call, ball spilled to Reid who threw the ball from the ground into a swan’s hands and they kicked another goal.
Hate when a team plays badly but the scumpires still manage to help the winning team pile on more goals.
Everyone in the GWS section noticed that on Aleer.
Toby got his head taken off and jumped in the back and nothing, of course.
He took a nice mark in the last qtr and the Swans player on grabbed him and wouldn't let him go for the longest time, nothing.

Back