Autopsy 2022 Round 21 - GWS Giants v Essendon Bombers, 2.10 pm Saturday 6 August @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The previews are getting shorter. The game against the Swans was very poor. While it seemed before the game that the resting of Green and Hogan might have been strategic to set up an immense effort for the Swans, it certainly didn't turn out that way; with Swans cutting us up all over the field, and the coach slating his own players for giving up. There was a definite lack of effort - not sticking tackles being one major issue - as well as poor execution - often playing on and passing to a player standing right next to a Swan.

The loss of Cogs before the game didn't help, with no other mid really standing up strongly. Sam Taylor was superb down back, but had to deal with far too much incoming. Leek didn't have the greatest debut, but Haynes was worse, and we had to send HH down back to try to stem the bleeding. That left our forward line undermanned, with Hogan and Toby again the only (and over-used) options. I do maintain that we are not putting the right team out there - continuing with Haynes in poor form, and not giving enough forward options (can we just give Riccardi a solid block of games to see how he goes?). The problem is, it's much easier to identify poor performers, than it is to find viable replacements.

There's also not much point in making major changes, as the majority of this is effort and in their minds. Will we turn up for the last home game in Sydney? To be honest, on the Swans performance, I doubt it.

Couple of simple changes for me:
  • Coniglio back in for O'Halloran.
  • Haynes out as a consistent underperformer, HH down back in his role, and Riccardi back in up front. Keep Aleer for the long term benefit.
  • Briggs back as second ruck/forward (should never have been dropped IMV) - given that Brown only had 2 disposals and that's a couple of poor games in a row, it would most likely be him, but in all honesty, there's a few who could realistically be axed.
  • As I've previously said, I'd also like to see Cooper Hamilton back in to run the wing; not sure who to drop there (and realistically this won't happen), perhaps Kennedy or Wehr, neither of whom I dislike but not necessarily getting the best out of at this point.
I don't think we'll see those changes except for Cogs/XOH; at worst, perhaps Keeffe will come back for Aleer (which I would disagree with!).

Thoughts?

Long time lurker, first time poster.
  • I think Brown will come out for Fleeton to debut, Spike seemed to like what he was doing in the twos.
  • Persist with Aleer for the rest of the year, give him a good run at it.
  • Drop XO and don't play him again for the year, straight swap for Cogs
  • Preuss is gonna be suspended surely so yep bring Briggs in
  • Move Ash back to half-back and give him freedom to run and carry, we drafted him at pick 4 for a reason.

In- Brander, Stein, Riccardi, Coniglio
Out- Preuss, XOH, Aleer, Brown, Keeffe

B- Brander Stein Cumming
HB- Ash Taylor Haynes
C- Whitfield Green Perryman
HF- Greene Riccardi Taranto
F- Peatling Hogan Himmleberg
FOLL- Briggs Coniglio Kelly
I/C- Hopper, Wehr, Ward, Lloyd
Sub- Kennedy

• I think Brown will come out for Fleeton to debut, Spike seemed to like what he was doing in the twos.
  • Persist with Aleer for the rest of the year, give him a good run at it.
  • Drop XO and don't play him again for the year, straight swap for Cogs
  • Move Ash back to half-back and give him freedom to run and carry, we drafted him at pick 4 for a reason.
Good first post, everything you said makes a tonne of sense.

Preuss not suspended - just a fine. Match Review: Pies star fined for striking, Hawk banned

Braydon Preuss, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Rough Conduct against James Rowbottom, Sydney Swans, during the first quarter of the Round 20 match between the Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS played at the SCG on Saturday, 30 July 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

P.S. Welcome to the board!

Preuss not suspended - just a fine. Match Review: Pies star fined for striking, Hawk banned

Braydon Preuss, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Rough Conduct against James Rowbottom, Sydney Swans, during the first quarter of the Round 20 match between the Sydney Swans and GWS GIANTS played at the SCG on Saturday, 30 July 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

P.S. Welcome to the board!
I’m not sure why Preuss was suspended. Was it within 5m of the play?

The previews are getting shorter. The game against the Swans was very poor. While it seemed before the game that the resting of Green and Hogan might have been strategic to set up an immense effort for the Swans, it certainly didn't turn out that way; with Swans cutting us up all over the field, and the coach slating his own players for giving up. There was a definite lack of effort - not sticking tackles being one major issue - as well as poor execution - often playing on and passing to a player standing right next to a Swan.

The loss of Cogs before the game didn't help, with no other mid really standing up strongly. Sam Taylor was superb down back, but had to deal with far too much incoming. Leek didn't have the greatest debut, but Haynes was worse, and we had to send HH down back to try to stem the bleeding. That left our forward line undermanned, with Hogan and Toby again the only (and over-used) options. I do maintain that we are not putting the right team out there - continuing with Haynes in poor form, and not giving enough forward options (can we just give Riccardi a solid block of games to see how he goes?). The problem is, it's much easier to identify poor performers, than it is to find viable replacements.

There's also not much point in making major changes, as the majority of this is effort and in their minds. Will we turn up for the last home game in Sydney? To be honest, on the Swans performance, I doubt it.

Couple of simple changes for me:
  • Coniglio back in for O'Halloran.
  • Haynes out as a consistent underperformer, HH down back in his role, and Riccardi back in up front. Keep Aleer for the long term benefit.
  • Briggs back as second ruck/forward (should never have been dropped IMV) - given that Brown only had 2 disposals and that's a couple of poor games in a row, it would most likely be him, but in all honesty, there's a few who could realistically be axed.
  • As I've previously said, I'd also like to see Cooper Hamilton back in to run the wing; not sure who to drop there (and realistically this won't happen), perhaps Kennedy or Wehr, neither of whom I dislike but not necessarily getting the best out of at this point.
I don't think we'll see those changes except for Cogs/XOH; at worst, perhaps Keeffe will come back for Aleer (which I would disagree with!).

Thoughts?
They don't want it. That's the problem.

I used to hear that from some of the kids when watching the juniors.

Stone and Flynn just need to pass fitness tests, Bobby medically cleared and Finn only a week away, Wehr out for a few weeks might mean Hamilton comes in

Last edited:

Stone and Flynn just need to pass fitness tests, Bobby medically cleared and Finn only a week away, Wehr out for a few weeks might mean Hamilton comes in
2 more serious soft tissue injuries.

And no one is surprised.

Is anyone going to the members event at Giants HQ after the game?
Considering it, but it depends on if the kids are coming with me and if they're interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what is going on with the team but it is 4 talls at each end and a ruck
Taylor Keefe Haynes Aleer
Hogan Riccardi HH Briggs
Preuss
In todays article on McVeigh he did say Bruhn would be back in so wait to see who is medi-sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back