Autopsy 2022 Round 23 - GWS Giants v Fremantle @ Manuka Oval, 1.45 pm Saturday 20 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Taylor is a backline God.

Coming right up...
Nothing honourable about that one. Yet another where we just see guys easing off on any pressure or urgency. Pretty pathetic, it's just that Fremantle were also pretty average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Autopsy
Benefit of watching the replay this morning.
Scumpires ignored a few frees to us and punished BS frees against.
Kelly got pinged for running the ball “deliberate” right near goal and Dunstall scoffed saying “How do you call that when he’s run through a pack full-tilt?”
Two minutes later, Hopper gets pinged for rough contact, again right near goal, after he’d tackled a player to the ground, same umpire. Dunstall says, “I’m glad he called tgat, he was right there. It’s been creeping into our game and I don’t like it.
I don’t like it either. A tackled player gets an elbow of the player leveraging off his face. BUT, everyone does it but Hopper gets pinged. Honestly, it’s phuqued.
We were 45 to 15 and they got a gift of three goals to get them closer.

Earlier comments about grounds and crowds. If the following move happens (article below - big games move to SCG) I think I might be done. Last games at the scg and we were treated like second class supporters. We couldn’t leave the ground without going all the way back around. GWS chairman responds to calls for SCG switch-up

Earlier comments about grounds and crowds. If the following move happens (article below - big games move to SCG) I think I might be done. Last games at the scg and we were treated like second class supporters. We couldn’t leave the ground without going all the way back around. GWS chairman responds to calls for SCG switch-up
This is the response I got from the club regarding the possibility of SCG games.
It was from a bit of Gerard Healy trolling.

"In regard to Tony’s interview on Melbourne radio - he was responding to an idea proposed by Gerard Healy a few weeks ago, that the club should look at the SCG as an option to grow crowds.

Rest assured - Western Sydney and Canberra are our long-term homes and our clear priority. The GIANTS love playing at GIANTS Stadium and have a long-term and successful partnership with the Royal Agricultural Society, who run the Stadium.

Naturally we are always open to opportunities to innovate and engage broader audiences, but ultimately our home grounds are GIANTS Stadium and Manuka Oval and we are committed to growing our fan base primarily in Western Sydney and Canberra."

If you watch the interview I don't think it was something that is being seriously considered.
GIANTS stadium is great. Just gimme an express train.

Ash butchering what should have been 2 certain goals, and the fine line call on the fingertips to Riccardi's goal didn't help. Add in Briggs kicking his attempt after the 50m penalty from well before the line and there's 20 points.

Ash's speed in the forward line was useful - showing what we missed with Daniels sidelined the entire season - but he's not a forward. Watched his warm up kicking - he literally missed every shot that he took on goal.

Leek Aleer looks better with each game as his confidence improves. Took a stack of intercepts, and despite pre-draft knocks on his kicking, I thought he distributed pretty well (I'd say he understands his limitations and remains within those). Next year's defensive tall line-up will be interesting. We need to stop trying to shoehorn into the team a 22 that is the best players perceived by the coach, but actually take care about positional importance. If that means the 24th best player gets a run because we need a small defender instead of the 17th best player but who is the 4th best tall defender, then that needs to occur. Small defense has been our downfall all season, and hurt again in this game. Cumming is a great intercept marker and rebounder, but does need to work on his closer marking. The other guys we use there, be it Kennedy, Wehr, Ash, Idun, Brown or Hamilton need to work on their defensive games, especially 1 on 1.

Ash butchering what should have been 2 certain goals, and the fine line call on the fingertips to Riccardi's goal didn't help. Add in Briggs kicking his attempt after the 50m penalty from well before the line and there's 20 points.

Ash's speed in the forward line was useful - showing what we missed with Daniels sidelined the entire season - but he's not a forward. Watched his warm up kicking - he literally missed every shot that he took on goal.

Leek Aleer looks better with each game as his confidence improves. Took a stack of intercepts, and despite pre-draft knocks on his kicking, I thought he distributed pretty well (I'd say he understands his limitations and remains within those). Next year's defensive tall line-up will be interesting. We need to stop trying to shoehorn into the team a 22 that is the best players perceived by the coach, but actually take care about positional importance. If that means the 24th best player gets a run because we need a small defender instead of the 17th best player but who is the 4th best tall defender, then that needs to occur. Small defense has been our downfall all season, and hurt again in this game. Cumming is a great intercept marker and rebounder, but does need to work on his closer marking. The other guys we use there, be it Kennedy, Wehr, Ash, Idun, Brown or Hamilton need to work on their defensive games, especially 1 on 1.
Leek's development has been so cool to watch, it's so clear his progress in every week. His kicking is fine for the most part don't think he's ever going to get the stage where he's picking apart defences but that's not his role, if he can get to fine KPD level field kicking that'll be just fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back