Autopsy 2022 Round 7 Adelaide v GWS Giants, Saturday 2.10 pm 30 April @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to get a win and Crows must have been thinking of finals and got ahead of themselves

Whitfield and Perryman higher up the ground

Kennedy in defence

Coniglio Permanent forward

Preuss majority ruck

Mantra seemed to be get the ball to Kelly outside the contest

80 tackles v 60 for the Crows
Better disposal

Good to see Hamilton debut and Callaghan playing closer to the contest

Against a younger team the mids winning the contest gave the team an advantage and Crows didnt expect todays performance by the looks of it and it will be a diiferent game v the Cats next week but some positives to work with

Winning is grinning but the concern is the result had more to do with how Adel played than us. Hogan marked the ball as strongly as he has for us. Taranto's tacking and pressure in the centre was superb. Preuss and Flynn works, must continue. The biggest concern is what do we put into a contract to retain the services of Tom Green, every club would sell the farm to get him.

Just wanted to drop these snippets in here.

WHERE DOES ISAAC CUMMING RATE AMONGST THE LEAGUE’S BEST HALF-BACK FLANKERS

You never bloody hear about him.

Oh look… you might have someone yap on about him during commentary, but when you tune into an AFL show – say On the Couch, how often is the work of Isaac Cumming highlighted? That’s right – never. And it’s a bit of a crime.

He dominated the first quarter of this game, picking up six intercepts as he tore up contests all over the ground before settling back into his traditional role in defence as the game wore on. With Connor Idun re-signing with the club during the week, the Giants now have the services of him, Cumming and Sam Taylor under wraps until 2026, 2025, and 2024 respectively.

That’s how you secure the most important parts of your defence. GWS always seem to get a bad wrap for their list management, but with these three under contract and with nothing to worry about in defence, I have no qualms about the way they’re going about it.

THE BEST HANDS IN THE BUSINESS.

I watch Tom Green with a bit of a sense of awe. I am not sure that there has been a contest this season where I have seen him approach the footy and I haven’t expected him to win the footy. Such is my confidence in his ability to win his own ball, I start looking for those making position around him to receive the release handball – you just know he is going to work his arms free and find them to release the pressure.

How many times have you seen this bloke fumble? His hands are like vices, clamping down on the footy and refusing to have it dislodged until he is damn well good and ready to let it go.

At 21, he may be the best “can’t miss” player in the game right now. His stats of 24 touches don’t do his game justice. When the whips were cracking in the first and second quarters, it was Tom Green continually getting his hands on the pill and distributing whilst one, or two tacklers hung off him, trying in vain t drag him down.

By halftime, Green had amassed 16 touches and five clearances, aiding the Giants in building their huge lead. He was quieter in the second half simply because he could be. I get the feeling that if Tom Green wants the footy, he will find it.

Oh, and before I forget – some nuffie on the radio was asking if Green had a case to answer for Ned McHenry being subbed out of the game. I’ll tell ya what – if he cops a suspension for contesting – and winning – the footy, I reckon it might be time to give it away.

THE PERFECT INSIDE/OUTSIDE MAN

There have been times when I have just wanted to see Josh Kelly given the space he needs to work his magic. When he played on the wing at points in 2020/21, I sat back and marvelled at how perfect he was in the role. He knew when to run and spread, would take the game on, and his delivery inside 50 was magnificent.

However, there is more to his game than just running the footy down the wing, and if ever a bozo like me needed proof of that, this game was it.

Kelly’s presence at stoppages combined perfectly with the work of Tom Green, as his quick hands and exquisite hands in close saw him pick up eight clearances amongst his 41 touches. He had a huge 736 metres gained, laid six tackles, and consistently set up his teammates with deft touches and quick hands in traffic that waited for that split second for the pressure to be almost upon him before releasing.

This is what intelligent players do. They don’t just handball immediately – they wait. They hold, and right at the last moment, they make the right decision and their team reaps the benefits.

Very good display, all the stuff we have wanted them to do (quick movement, two way running, manic pressure, consistent effort) and look what happens….it’s almost frustrating but I’ll stay positive and non toxic!

Very impressed with the two young lads Callaghan and Hamilton. Callaghan is a Rolls Royce, it’s not just his agility and big boot, his 360 vision and movement by hand is elite, we got a real goodun.

I didn’t know much about Hamilton before today in terms of his game style. He was composed and looked the part, his endurance will hold him in good stead and he looks to have a professional attitude.

Great effort by all including the coach, thumbs up 👍👍

Tom's safe from the MRP chook lotto:

Incident Assessed:
The incident involving the GWS GIANTS' Tom Green and the Adelaide Crows’ Ned McHenry from the third quarter of Saturday's match between the GWS GIANTS and the Adelaide Crows was assessed. The ball is loose on the wing. Green and McHenry approach the ball from opposing directions and high contact is made by Green on McHenry. It was the view of the Match Review Officer that Green was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom's safe from the MRP chook lotto:

Incident Assessed:
The incident involving the GWS GIANTS' Tom Green and the Adelaide Crows’ Ned McHenry from the third quarter of Saturday's match between the GWS GIANTS and the Adelaide Crows was assessed. The ball is loose on the wing. Green and McHenry approach the ball from opposing directions and high contact is made by Green on McHenry. It was the view of the Match Review Officer that Green was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.
AFL HQ has just submitted an appeal and requesting the name to change from Tom Green to Toby Greene

Toby Tax for no further action has been upgraded to reckless with a 4 week suspension

😂

AFL HQ has just submitted an appeal and requesting the name to change from Tom Green to Toby Greene

Toby Tax for no further action has been upgraded to reckless with a 4 week suspension

😂
Gill then decides that punishment is manifestly inadequate and "suggests" it be doubled.
The script is typed in triplicate and handed to the tribunal so they get it right.

Edit: A packet of Iced Vo-Vo's are left in the tribunal room so they have something to do while "deliberating".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back