Preview 2022 Round 9 GWS v Carlton, 3.20 pm Sunday 15 May @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Unfortunately for GWS fans, after the brief spirit-raising win over Adelaide, normal 2022 service returned to Manuka Oval last weekend as the Giants put in a disappointing display against Geelong and sputtered to an 8 goal loss. This week pits the 4th last Giants against the 4th place Carlton. Carlton are finally making some gains after a decade in the AFL wilderness, although they are not invulnerable. However, their midfield has been revitalised with Patty Cripps in possibly career-best form, with plenty of support; while their twin tall forwards in Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay are tearing it up, sitting 2nd and 7th on the Coleman ladder respectively.

Given how we played against Geelong, we will struggle to contain Carlton. Their midfield has proven to be very effective, and getting plenty of ball into their twin towers forward, who have both kicked multiple bags. Both are strong and mobile, and I really fear for our defence. Against the Cats, Sam Taylor was forced to swing from Cameron to Hawkins, with Keeffe largely ineffective against either. Although tall, he is not particularly mobile, and consistently gets caught behind his man. Do we try Stein, as a slightly more mobile player, but still quite limited in his ability to defend against the better players for a whole game. Nick Haynes has been quite off his game this year, and has really not impacted games by disrupting kicks coming into our D50. Do we try Leek Aleer? I really doubt Leon would, plus it would be a real hail mary idea. Who else is there? No-one really.

So, we have to stop the ball getting into our D50 so often, which means the heat will be on our mids to win the contested battle. Tom Green continues to do the hard yards, but we need Taranto and Ward to step it up, and the rest of the midfield. Do we tag Cripps? I'm not sure it will be entirely effective, as Carlton now have other options who can win ball - but conversely, if we can disrupt their play but doing that, it might be worthwhile. We do have the mids to do this, but they need to play at 100%.

The last two elements of what we need is the connection between the mids and our forwards, and goalkicking. Notwithstanding that Geelong were inaccurate, any chance we had of staying in touch was to kick every chance we got, and we failed miserably. Hopefully we're doing a lot of practice this week. But we need to do it in a game - and I suspect it's as much mental as physical. The biggest issue has been our deficiency all year, and several years previously ... actually having a plan to move the ball into our F50.

All in all, I can't see us fixing all of these problems in a week, so I suspect this game is going to be painful.

This thread has our thoughts on changes. I daresay we'll make a couple, but I also doubt that they will miraculously make us a better team. What changes would you make (in the realm of the possible!) to improve?

I dont think any team changes will make much difference to the final score which I see as between a 4-10 goal loss and only because the Blues dont keep the foot on the throat for the kill

Briggs in for Flynn (Managed)
Haynes to be out until after the bye to get himself right for the 2nd half of the season (Perryman to be 7th defender)
Whitfield forward to try and help the tema kick more than 4 goals
Bruhn mid, Coniglio primarily forward, Peatling Forward
Riccardi in for HH
No to MDB and XOH the medi_sub

The bye didnt help those close to selection Fahey, Wehr, Stein and Brander could be in with another good reserves performance

Idun Taylor Hamilton
Cumming Keefe Kennedy
Callaghan Ward Ash
Taranto Riccardi Whitfield
Coniglio Hogan Greene
Preuss Kelly Green
Briggs Perryman Peatling Bruhn XOH

Not much discussion about this week's game ... I guess we're all jaded and frustrated about performances this year, especially last week's.

Here's what the AFL has to say about the game.

Where and When: Sunday, May 15 at 3:20pm, GIANTS Stadium

Last time they met:

The GIANTS locked in an elimination final berth and sealed their top-eight spot with a 14-point win over Carlton in round 23 last year. Wearing their Indigenous jumper as a tribute to the retiring Eddie Betts, the GIANTS overcame a fast start from the Blues to record a 12.17 (89) to 11.9 (75) win at Marvel Stadium. Midfield quartet Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper and Callan Ward were crucial to the game turning in the GIANTS’ favour, while Jesse Hogan was dominant up forward.

What it means for the GIANTS:

Last week’s loss to Geelong in Canberra leaves the GIANTS with just two wins from the opening eight rounds and facing an uphill battle to finish inside the top eight this season. The GIANTS will be eager to bounce back in a big way this weekend, returning to GIANTS Stadium for the first time since their win over the Gold Coast in round three.

Sunday’s clash with Carlton will be the first of back-to-back games at GIANTS Stadium for the first time this season, with the next fortnight shaping to be a crucial one for Leon Cameron’s side as they look to ignite their 2022 season.

Where’s the opposition at?

It's been a promising start to Michael Voss' Carlton coaching career, with the Blues currently sitting inside the top four after recording six wins from eight games to start the season. The powerful forward combination of Charlie Curnow (six goals) and Harry McKay (three goals) guided the Blues to a highly impressive 17.14 (116) to 10.8 (68) win over Adelaide at Marvel Stadium last weekend. Jack Martin sustained a minor calf strain in the Blues’ win and will likely miss this week with George Hewett an outside chance to return from his own calf knock. Former GIANT Caleb Marchbank had 20 disposals and five marks in the VFL on his return from an ACL injury but is unlikely to make his AFL return this weekend.

Player watch:

After a 330-day absence, Toby Greene will make his return to GIANTS Stadium this weekend. Greene hasn’t featured at venue since the GIANTS’ round 14 win over Carlton last season, where he registered 20 disposals, eight marks and four goals, including his famous 60 metre torpedo kick.

Would love to see some fight from our boys on home turf ... alas, I have no faith at this moment in time.

2 down with Martin out so another 6 should make it a even contest.
COVID make it happen
Sorry to everyone and Blues supporters but can it at least be a fair fight

Although they do owe us for a few lopsided games a few years ago

2 down with Martin out so another 6 should make it a even contest.
COVID make it happen
Sorry to everyone and Blues supporters but can it at least be a fair fight

Although they do owe us for a few lopsided games a few years ago
Tests: George Hewett Liam Stocker
Short Term: Jack Martin
Long Term/Indefinite: David Cuningham Ed Curnow Harry McKay Josh Honey Luke Parks Marc Pittonet Mitch McGovern Oscar McDonald

i mean blues have one of the worst injury lists in the league.

Harry McKay out is huge ... but we've been unable to take advantage of other outs this year, so expect it won't alter the result. Anyone have a view of who who his replacement is likely to be? TDK most likely, perhaps?

Harry McKay out is huge ... but we've been unable to take advantage of other outs this year, so expect it won't alter the result. Anyone have a view of who who his replacement is likely to be? TDK most likely, perhaps?
Kemp. We dont have another Ruck so TDK will be playing there all game. Forward line likely to be Curnow Kemp and Silvagni as tall targets. We dont have any other players to fill that role, only smalls.

Kemp. We dont have another Ruck so TDK will be playing there all game. Forward line likely to be Curnow Kemp and Silvagni as tall targets. We dont have any other players to fill that role, only smalls.
Thanks.

In which case, I'd definitely want to swap out Keeffe as too immobile, and get a more dynamic player in there. Stein the obvious choice, but perhaps it could be an opportunity to give Leek Aleer a run? I doubt the club would do that, though.

After a 330-day absence, Toby Greene will make his return to GIANTS Stadium this weekend. Greene hasn’t featured at venue since the GIANTS’ round 14 win over Carlton last season, where he registered 20 disposals, eight marks and four goals, including his famous 60 metre torpedo kick.

This 330 day stat completely blows my mind.

Anyone remember the ‘good ole days’ when we could beat the Blues at Docklands with only 17 of our players on the field?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No injury report, no footy Phil.

We used to have the best social media in Sport.

Seems that’s fading away along with our competitiveness

It’s a telling sign the end is nigh for the LC era.

Personally, I think it’s become an unreasonable ask of Phil to have to defend LC every week on the pod.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point making changes, because the players we really need back in the team aren't available.

Hopper, Lloyd, Davis, Buckley, they're all months away. Daniels might be back in a couple of weeks.

Until then, maybe someone can stand up and show some good old-fashioned leadership.
Well the way I see it Carlton are going to be much smaller than us. I would love to see Us drop Keefe for another med / small back. Fahey? Probably don't really need 2 rucks either against Carlton

I think this is the first time Hill hasn't been named on field. Reckon he's been dropped for Stone?
As soon as I saw Stone was added, I looked for where Bobby was ... and being on the extended bench I think there's a good chance that he loses his spot to Stone. Stone is highly regarded, and it was a damn shame his injury came when it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back