Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
1640809518572.png

The biggest difference for Grundy last season was an increased presence of Darcy Cameron, albeit only slightly. DC played every game from round five on (Mason Cox was the man who fell out of favour there as the forward), and his percentage of ruck contests were up compared to what he did in 2020

View attachment 1303317

The biggest difference for Grundy last season was an increased presence of Darcy Cameron, albeit only slightly. DC played every game from round five on (Mason Cox was the man who fell out of favour there as the forward), and his percentage of ruck contests were up compared to what he did in 2020
TOG in general was down.
Only 81%.
Lowest since 2015, he had a higher TOG in his debut year of 2013.
Was tracking along at 89% and 88% in the 130ppg seasons.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
TOG in general was down.
Only 81%.
Lowest since 2015, he had a higher TOG in his debut year of 2013.
Was tracking along at 89% and 88% in the 130ppg seasons.
Got a split before and after his injury? Wonder if that was the cause.

Just imo but Grundy in his big years seemed to get more involved in scoring chains, he gets more involved than most rucks around the ground. Possibly Collingwood being s**t last year caused a drop off in that area?

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood

Just imo but Grundy in his big years seemed to get more involved in scoring chains, he gets more involved than most rucks around the ground. Possibly Collingwood being sh*t last year caused a drop off in that area?

Was documented he didn’t enjoy 2020 covid bubbles so I imagine he wasn’t a fan of that in 2021 either.

With our slow ball movement game plan it certainly doesn’t help when you’re sitting under high balls all day. Has to take a toll on your body. Limits scoring chains etc as well as you stated.

Last edited:

Just imo but Grundy in his big years seemed to get more involved in scoring chains, he gets more involved than most rucks around the ground. Possibly Collingwood being sh*t last year caused a drop off in that area?

Also adding to this I think CD fell out of love with him as well.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

His drop-off coincided with a change of Coach & gameplan IMO ....wasn't being used as much in scoring chains

84.2% (126.5ppg) down to 81% (107ppg).
Excluded the injury game, where he was on track for a strong score.

But looks like it might have been other factors, don't think a 3.2% TOG dip would cause him to drop 19.5ppg.

He also came back from injury in solid form.
Might of just thrown in the towel at the end of the year.

What I find interesting is that he dropped his poor scores at the end of the year against pretty ordinary opponents.

88 against DeKoning
85 against Lycett & Ladhams
89 against OMac
83 against Draper

Would back him in for 120+ against all of them.
Especially as he still managed to outdo NicNat in the middle of those down games.

Last edited:

Total_90's

Rookie
Apr 22, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
View attachment 1303317

Care to divulge where to get our hands on this and other graphics? Please don't say the AFL website, because I cant work it out haha

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Care to divulge where to get our hands on this and other graphics? Please don't say the AFL website, because I cant work it out haha
Just depends on what you're looking for ......but the Ruck Stats were from

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

But looks like it might have been other factors, don't think a 3.2% TOG dip would cause him to drop 19.5ppg.

What I find interesting is that he dropped his poor scores at the end of the year against pretty ordinary opponents.

88 against DeKoning
89 against OMac
83 against Draper

Especially as he still managed to outdo NicNat in the middle of those down games.

Grundy had a few games where his TOG has been significantly less than his usual
2021 Season
1640836577952.png

2019 Season (2020 was an anomaly)

1640836778572.png

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood

88 against DeKoning
89 against OMac
83 against Draper

I would say most of those opponents listed would of been prioritising limiting his influence on the game. Most of them are young ruckman still learning their craft.

I would say most of those opponents listed would of been prioritising limiting his influence on the game. Most of them are young ruckman still learning their craft.

If DeKoning and Silvagni were able to limit him to his 3rd worst score for the season why wouldn't everyone bar WC and Dees be looking to do to the same?

Draper only scored 42 points in that R23 game, 7 touches, 5 of them in the 3rd q, when the game was already dead, so he hardly quelled him.

I think it's more likely he had just checked out after a disastrous season for his club, can't blame him.

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I can't see a correlation between Gawn's Ruck Contest numbers and his scoring ? .....thinking the Jackson influence is a fallacy & maybe nagging injury was more likely

View attachment 1303497
Gawn's big scoring is based on intercept marking imo. CD jizz hard over contested marking. He was dropping more than previous years, which seemed to hurt his scores.

I'm not convinced Jackson will be that big a draw back to his scoring, more his and Melbournes form.

Sherman41

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2006
Ballarat
AFL Club
Collingwood
If DeKoning and Silvagni were able to limit him to his 3rd worst score for the season why wouldn't everyone bar WC and Dees be looking to do to the same?

Draper only scored 42 points in that R23 game, 7 touches, 5 of them in the 3rd q, when the game was already dead, so he hardly quelled him.

I think it's more likely he had just checked out after a disastrous season for his club, can't blame him.

So…… it looks like Draper wasn’t trying to hard to find the ball then 🥸😀

Grundy’s one wood is his ability to cover the ground and work over his opponents.Factors such as slow ball movement, not being able to control the field (which was one of our major issues) and tiredness/checking out as you mentioned is probably the other.

For all the chat about Grundy last year he still ended up the 13th best scorer for average for the year and 20th on overall points all that with 20 games instead of 22, personally I think he will be fine and a top 3 ruck for points.

I hope I'm not coming across as a Grundy doubter from my posts.
I have that man locked in.
Just trying to figure out what exactly caused the dip.

I hope I'm not coming across as a Grundy doubter from my posts.
I have that man locked in.
Just trying to figure out what exactly caused the dip.
Thinks he's dropped half a Newnes too.

Moving well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back