Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure why people are expecting charity from Sloane when it was his last chance for a big contract. If Adelaide got lured into a s**t deal because they were desperate for a good news story, that's their fault and they can eat s**t afaic.

Sloane got his, which he’s entitled to do. But suggesting he’s about anything but himself is fantasy land stuff.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
He had a bung foot from memory, and at that point the rumours swung from likely to leave to staying.

He also went on 5AA and said almost verbatim that his last contract was about “looking after Rory Sloane”.

It’s one of the worst signings we’ve ever made on paper, though I understand it would have looked terrible to lose him.

It’s a good lesson. We wilted for fear of the optics and a deranged belief in the cultural value of a player to a group. And yet culture ended up in the toilet anyway and he was one of the instruments. As a club we plave far too much emphasis on intangible rubbish ahead of simple football performance.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Saying anyone who thinks we will improve next year is delusional is a bad call. We could easilly win 2 or 3 more games and end up 10-12th on the ladder. We lost 3 games this year by under a goal, including 2 to teams still in the finals. Another preseason into our young kids and then add in Rankine and I can definitely see us improving on this year.

And it's got nothing to do with adding a 'shiny toy' in Phillipou, I just want us to add a high quality elite midfielder. If that's Phillipou or Tsatas or someone else I don't care, we just desperately need more class in our midfield.

It is just smart to keep pick 5 and use next years first if we can, our pick this year is a known quantity, our best chance to grab that elite midfielder is with a top 5 pick which we have this year. Next year may be another top 5 Pick, but it could also push out to 8-10 if we win a couple more games next year. Just makes it that bit more difficult, we need to take advantage of our position this year as this could be our last chance with a top 5 pick before we start pushing up the ladder.

I think the context was about improved ladder position and trading out next year’s first. We will likely improve but that doesn’t necessarily mean we move up the ladder. There’s every chance we remain exactly where we are in terms of finishing position.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn’t he re-sign in 17 at a lower figure to try and keep the team together but we lost players anyway?

I recall an article where it was reported he took a pay cut to help the club retain players. Which at the time I took as the literal meaning. But then it turned out during the Treloar debacle that he was being treated terribly because he’d taken a pay cut to keep that ‘contending’ group together. Turns out that ‘pay cut’ in AFL reporting also means restructure full $ to the back end of contracts.

So we don’t really know if he did or didn’t because AFL media are morons. So I post that he restructured full $ to offset the posts from those that say he took less $ when reality is that we don’t know.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
What if, what if…

What if the world ends with the zombie apocalypse

You can’t live worrying about what if too much
Bang on. A bird in the hand and all. Get rankine now with a future pick. Get one of the highly rated mids now with pick 5. Then back yourselves in to improve anyway. Worry about what to do for JHF next year if it looks like he wants out

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I think the context was about improved ladder position and trading out next year’s first. We will likely improve but that doesn’t necessarily mean we move up the ladder. There’s every chance we remain exactly where we are in terms of finishing position.
And I'm fine with that, we have 2 first round picks to use over the next two years. We need to use one of them to get Rankine and then we need to use the other on a high end mid. We are better off getting them both into our system this year rather than one each year. That way by this time next year year our young mid would have done a full preseason and hopefully played 10-15 games.

Of course there is a chance we have a terrible year and we give away pick 1, but it is a high risk high reward type decision and I'm happy for the club to go that way with where our squad is at. We have built a good core of young kids that we have drafted over the last few years, but we are just missing that classy high end midfielder who can compliment what we already have in there.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
And I'm fine with that, we have 2 first round picks to use over the next two years. We need to use one of them to get Rankine and then we need to use the other on a high end mid. We are better off getting them both into our system this year rather than one each year. That way by this time next year year our young mid would have done a full preseason and hopefully played 10-15 games.

Of course there is a chance we have a terrible year and we give away pick 1, but it is a high risk high reward type decision and I'm happy for the club to go that way with where our squad is at. We have built a good core of young kids that we have drafted over the last few years, but we are just missing that classy high end midfielder who can compliment what we already have in there.
Imagine if we do get rankine with our future 1st, he has an absolutely massive year which with his talent and how he started to look this year he may, who knows but we still drop and finish bottom 2 (imo not happening). We would have paid pick 2 for him. I'd still live with that outcome from a draft capital perspective - just not great from a supporters end losing week in week out under that scenario.

Our only lose lose scenario would be if we go backwards next year and rankine regresses or is blighted by injury

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Sloane got his, which he’s entitled to do. But suggesting he’s about anything but himself is fantasy land stuff.
I don't think it's selfish to want to earn, especially given you have a short shelf life in professional sport. It's not Sloane's job to manage the salary cap so the negative ramifications of paying him too much is not his problem.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
I don't think it's selfish to want to earn, especially given you have a short shelf life in professional sport. It's not Sloane's job to manage the salary cap so the negative ramifications of paying him too much is not his problem.
I dont think anyone is arguing that. Most are opposing weeds muppet's declaration that Sloane is the most loyal player in AFL history and you're not a supporter if you don't agree.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I think the issue with giving big contracts to aging players isn't to do with loyalty or players holding us to ransom or whatever, but just a fundamental mismanagement of how we do/did manage our salary cap long term. Rather than paying players big in their prime years and trailing them off in their later ones we go on an escalating scale and you get your bag when you're 27/28 which then takes you into retirement (or near it). A gold watch farewell present if you will. It worked with Tex in that he made it and now we can continue on with 1 year deals, we've seen it bite us with guys like Sloane, Talia, Jenkins and Betts.

My hope would be with things like us offering big deals to guys like Dawson and Rankine who are in the 22-24 age bracket we're moving away from that, but it's probably been a big reason why we've had trouble attracting young talent previously (and why we lost so much) because we've always operated on the "you gotta play 150-200 games to get your big deal" principal whereas so many teams will pay way more for having done way less.

TAFKATMS

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s very short-sighted and borderline delusional to assume we’ll improve our ladder position next year. Every chance our draw won’t be so forgiving. Cop a couple of injuries to key players and this list will not cope. And, given next year’s draft crop is stacked with talent, we really should keep next year’s first. Too many see phillipou as a shiny toy in the window and, like a kid who just got their allowance and must spend it at once, don’t stop to think about the long game. Let’s save our pennies.
Lol, next year's draft is always the super draft. Until it happens that is.

I think the issue with giving big contracts to aging players isn't to do with loyalty or players holding us to ransom or whatever, but just a fundamental mismanagement of how we do/did manage our salary cap long term. Rather than paying players big in their prime years and trailing them off in their later ones we go on an escalating scale and you get your bag when you're 27/28 which then takes you into retirement (or near it). A gold watch farewell present if you will. It worked with Tex in that he made it and now we can continue on with 1 year deals, we've seen it bite us with guys like Sloane, Talia, Jenkins and Betts.

My hope would be with things like us offering big deals to guys like Dawson and Rankine who are in the 22-24 age bracket we're moving away from that, but it's probably been a big reason why we've had trouble attracting young talent previously (and why we lost so much) because we've always operated on the "you gotta play 150-200 games to get your big deal" principal whereas so many teams will pay way more for having done way less.

And we end up paying more for less anyway because we have cooked or underperforming senior players getting underserved retirement funds while our young kids leave and no one joins

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Lol, next year's draft is always the super draft. Until it happens that is.
Yeah young ones.gif

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
You don't move up the ladder in a vacuum. Easy to talk about moving up the ladder but to do that you have to out grow the teams who are already above you in current season performance.

We had a magic run with few injuries this year and yet could only rise to 14th. Still too many spuds getting games.

Looking at who occupies the spots above us, 10th-14th would be an expected result so we're trading out (if GC will take it) a likely pick 5-9 in a strong draft to accelerate our rebuild by using pick 6 on a good mid (Philipou) this draft. I'm all for the acceleration

"why doesn't this club ever do anything bold with list decisions?!"
Club makes a bold list decision
"we're going to SUCK next year, giving up our future first would be a DISASTER"

The imaginary posters you created quotes for sure just got owned.

Back