Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

you watch GWS end up losing this kid for nothing (like Hately). All their time and energy will be going into Taranto and Hopper trades. But thats ok, because if it happened it would be a Vic club benefiting

Was he the one that looked devastated on draft night?

Was he the one that looked devastated on draft night?
bruhn-draft-gif.1027049

hes no good anyway
You're very wrong with that call, the lad's a supremely skilled footballer. Get him in the Geelong system and if he stays injury free free he will be a topliner.

Was always going to end up at Geelong whoever drafted him.

You're very wrong with that call, the lad's a supremely skilled footballer. Get him in the Geelong system and if he stays injury free free he will be a topliner.

Was always going to end up at Geelong whoever drafted him.
I dont like his kick. Thats the knock for me.

I’d like to see a rule whereby if a player wants to be traded after their initial 2 year contract, if the teams can’t agree a trade, then:

- the team losing the player gets their pick reinstated in the next draft; and

- the team gaining the player loses the number of points attached to that pick plus a 25% penalty

I’d like to see a rule whereby if a player wants to be traded after their initial 2 year contract, if the teams can’t agree a trade, then:

- the team gaining the player loses the number of points attached to that pick plus a 25% penalty

Nah, you just need longer contracts for first round picks.

Something needs to be done otherwise we are beginning to see a Premier league taking place where Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood etc will always be up the top of the ladder and never drop. If that's the comp the AFL wants people will quickly turn off except for supporters of those clubs. I think the only solution is to have a weighted system for trades based on ladder position. If you finished first, then what you give up to trade a player must have a points penalty which is onerous. As you go down the ladder the points penalty lessens.

Something needs to be done otherwise we are beginning to see a Premier league taking place where Richmond, Geelong, Collingwood etc will always be up the top of the ladder and never drop. If that's the comp the AFL wants people will quickly turn off except for supporters of those clubs. I think the only solution is to have a weighted system for trades based on ladder position. If you finished first, then what you give up to trade a player must have a points penalty which is onerous. As you go down the ladder the points penalty lessens.
theres a simpler solution
lose the draft, and bring back zones and develop academies further

the draft is a yankee concept tied up in the college system and should never have been brought in here

its created a mish mash not a national comp

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent idea. You are right. There must be a huge disincentive in place to stop players gravitating to the big successful clubs.
Mind you, there would still be a problem when the big clubs went down the ladder a bit, and they could use players from other clubs without the huge penalties they would have to pay the higher up the ladder you sit. Those clubs could just bounce back up into contention again.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

theres a simpler solution
lose the draft, and bring back zones and develop academies further

the draft is a yankee concept tied up in the college system and should never have been brought in here

its created a mish mash not a national comp
Agree..

Piss the draft off altogether.

The NRL gets by fine without one.

Also.. the league needs to bite the bullet and get rid of, or move them into Tassie and NT, 4 of the Victorian clubs..

Take 4 Victorian clubs out of the equation and there goes 160+ list spots and thus takes away 160 opportunities for Vicitorian players to play in Victoria at AFL level.

But this gutless pissant VFL fake excuse for a National league wont do that..

What you are saying will be the inevitable result, is exactly what the VFL want. They desperately want their big Vic clubs to fill the MCG as often as possible and that happens when they are in the finals. The fact that they have sat by and watched GWS get raped by big Victorian clubs every year and done absolutely nothing about it, tells you all you need to know. They don't care about GWS being successful, it's just a way to funnel more elite Victorian kids back to the Victorian teams.

The trouble is that some players will gain value in those 2 years and some will lose value. Clubs will work out which side of the ledger they are on and not negotiate in good faith. I do agree that there needs to be some arbitration but don’t think that a hard rule is the solution.

if you do the maths that statement is factually incorrect
if victoria is shared amongst 12 teams including tassie their talent would be no worse than two from SA
Do you really trust the VFL to give an even zone spread?
They won't split just Victoria up to their 12 teams. They would also include Tassie (as you suggested), Northern Territory, part of NSW and QLD and anything else that would help sustain the big clubs.

We would get absolutely destroyed if they went to zones.

They won't split just Victoria up to their 12 teams. They would also include Tassie (as you suggested), Northern Territory, part of NSW and QLD and anything else that would help sustain the big clubs.

Perhaps there needs to be a hybrid. Make it similar to the Women's comp, keep the draft but first two rounds you can only select players from your state, after that it opens up.

Means the best talent lands at a local club and gives an incentive to the clubs to actually get involved in development within their market. Victoria obviously over supplied with clubs (as we already know), however it would create an incentive to one or more clubs to secure their future in the Tasmanian or NT regions.

disagree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back