Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It sounds like pick 5 is on the table and we are front loading Rankine for the same reason: we are making a big money play at a player/s next year and need trade currency and cash to get it done.

It also doesn't matter what the headlines are, it just matters what is said between the 2 clubs. The comments won't be different to what has been discussed. It also could be that they want Pick 5 plus a 2nd rounder and we want to give pick 5 with a future first coming back. Let's let the trade period play out.

Funny that Reid said only an hour ago he expects McAsey to be at the club, same as Scholl.

Hopefully thats him trying to get a better pick
I dont reacon they will let him go unless they, by some miracle, get a good second rounder for him.. which we all know is very unlikely.

Even if it frees up a list spot.

Just not worth it.. might as well hold onto him and hope with one more preseason something might click for the lad.. again, as unlikely that is!

What a disaster.

I bet you we would look at others, had we had the list spots

Unfortunately we’ve done this to ourselves

It is almost the year we had too have. Some many young players , can’t reduce the experienced end and most of the youths deserve/need another year before making a decision on them. While many supporters already have made a call I think these rarely line up with what list management would think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

why would he bother front loading the salary to 1.5m if he wasnt gonna play chicken...
So that they have room for a free agent approach or two next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he has let the AFL world think pick 5 is on the table for Rankine.

How does that serve our interests?
It doesn't. Pick 5 is something you give up for a contracted gun. Pick 15 is fair for Rankine. He hasn't exactly starred for the past 3 years. The club is idiotic if they hand over pick 5.

Where is all the other players we are bringing in? Is our list that good that we don't need to strengthen it? I hear that we are tight for list spots. That means we have too many contracted spuds on our list or they aren't ruthless at all. The talk of wanting crouch to stay and tough it out is comical when Nick's has no intention of playing him ever again. Some serious overrating of our list still going on down there.

Last edited:
Pick 5.. we better be getting next years first back from them.

JHF next year. We’ll have the trade currency. We still need elite mids and I firmly think Rachelle and Soligo will develop into elite midfielders.

to balance out his contract so its less over the remaining years and to not hamstring us next year and onwards if we go for another free agent
We have significant retirements looming next year. I can see a big offer to JHF coming.

After offering 3 firsts to get him last year, I'm sure we'll have another crack. Maybe even this year...

Why hasn't Ben Davis been delisted yet?
He was on a Hungry Jacks ad when he was a kid so probably part of the sponsorship agreement.

It doesn't. Pick 5 is something you give up for a contracted gun. Pick 15 is fair for Rankine. He hasn't exactly starred for the past 3 years. The club is idiotic if they hand over pick 5.

Where is all the other players we are bringing in? Is our list that good that we don't need to strengthen it? I hear that we are tight for list spots. That means we have too many contracted spuds on our list or they aren't ruthless at all. The talk of wanting crouch to stay and tough it out is comical when Nick's has no intention of playing him ever again. Some serious overrating of our list still going on down there.
We have a first and second round pick and then nothing until the 5th round. At least one of our 2 early picks will go on Rankine (who is likely to be better than pick 6 will be, even though I'd prefer to spend less). We also need to upgrade 2 rookies.

We don't have the draft capital to spend on speculative players because we spent it on quality players last year (Dawson and Taylor).

Talking up Crouch, McAsey and Sholl is nothing more than posturing to flag that we aren't running a fire sale. But if we somehow manage to get a half decent pick for any of those, I suspect we would take it.

Even if we don't, each of those "spuds" has a much better chance of making it than anything we get with picks in the 70's or later (also noting that Brown, Frampton and Rowe are already on the way out).

I bet you we would look at others, had we had the list spots

Unfortunately we’ve done this to ourselves

Done what to ourselves?

You think players are lining up to come here and we just don't have the list space for them?

We are likely to land Dawson and Ranking within the space of 12 months whilst losing nothing else and people are still upset?

We have significant retirements looming next year. I can see a big offer to JHF coming.

After offering 3 firsts to get him last year, I'm sure we'll have another crack. Maybe even this year...
i have heard that rumour but it was completely denied by AFC. it was actually two firsts plus a pick swap which was essentially pick 21 for 19. so really it was two firsts and they said no.

He shouldn't have gone on trade radio then.

I think all clubs are obliged to provide some media content to fans and the AFL at large

Having said that - he didn’t confirm or deny anything. Clearly at the moment our only asset to get the deal done is pick 5 (and future first which is likely similar) and that’s all the media have been talking about anyway. So it is “sitting there” and was ALWAYS going to be involved. We have FA draft capital after getting Dawson and Taylor last year

There have been literally hundreds of posts on here about splitting 5 (possibly for 12 and 19) from Richmond and giving GC pick 12 “cause that’s what Rankines worth”

Well that is using 5 and that was always the way the deal would get done. However - it is highly unlikely we actually split 5. Much more likely that GC either bundle up a heap of their picks and give us a late first or we get 25 back. And we give them 5

FWIW I would much prefer to give GC pick 5 than help Richmond land their targets or give the pick to GWS

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back