Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So are we really only linked to 1 player

Yup, don't have the list spots to do anything else (I assume we have a payout/trade request coming, but even then, it's still dicey). It's a big in though, seeing Rankine has the talent (and took some serious strides to realising it in '22) to be genuinely transformative to our side.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if we go the recycling route with some of our rookie picks, to try to plug a hole with a cheaper experienced option. After all, it's not like we're in need of speculative kids.

We have picks 5 and 25

Doesn't seem the draft hand capable of a transformation?

I assume we are thinking 5 turns into a couple more picks ?

Probably not as it sounds like 5 is the cornerstone of our Rankine deal, and we don't have the spots to take on a lot of speculative picks.

We're really not in the need of a list transformation at the moment. We've turned over half of our list in the last three years and primarily need a breather year to sort through our kids at the moment.

Last edited:
Look I hope the club is going to take Verrall or Barnett.
If we don't have pick 5 which in all likelihood we don't, I don't think we'll pick a midfielder. We've got mids on the list we need to develop and if we can't add an elite one I think we're probably better off looking for KPP and or Ruck.

Yup, don't have the list spots to do anything else (I assume we have a payout/trade request coming, but even then, it's still dicey). It's a big in though, seeing Rankine has the talent (and took some serious strides to realising it in '22) to be genuinely transformative to our side.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if we go the recycling route with some of our rookie picks, to try to plug a hole with a cheaper experienced option. After all, it's not like we're in need of speculative kids.

Probably not as it sounds like 5 is the cornerstone of our Rankine deal, and we don't have the spots to take on a lot of speculative picks.

We're really not in the need of a list transformation at the moment. We've turned over half of our list in the last three years and primarily need a breather year to sort through our kids at the moment.
List transformation was a bit of over the top, but that's what I was wondering really, cheers for the response.

We are linked to 1 player, we have two picks.

I assume pick 5 goes (I'm not arguing if that's good or bad ) so pick 25 doesn't appear to lend itself to hitting the draft as was mentioned before.

That's why I thought we'd be expecting something back from Pick 5 and Rankine

Hopefully that explains what I meant.

List transformation was a bit of over the top, but that's what I was wondering really, cheers for the response.

I assume pick 5 goes (I'm not arguing if that's good or bad ) so pick 25 doesn't appear to lend itself to hitting the draft as was mentioned before.

Nah, we're not hitting the draft this year in any meaningful way, seeing how we've positioned our list. I kind of expect Rankine + pick 25 + Michaelaney (I'd be disappointed if we didn't take him, seeing he's a F/S) being it for our senior list changes this year with how it's shaping up.

I reckon if we get something back, it might be in the 2023 draft.

We have so many young guys now that consistently adding young guys over and above will only slow down development. No point just hitting the draft hard every year. I'm happy to focus on trading for awhile to boost experience in the squad. We do need a top of the tree style classy young mid though.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah, we're not hitting the draft this year in any meaningful way, seeing how we've positioned our list. I kind of expect Rankine + pick 25 + Michaelaney (I'd be disappointed if we didn't take him, seeing he's a F/S) being it for our senior list changes this year with how it's shaping up.

I reckon if we get something back, it might be in the 2023 draft.
Yeah agree re Michaelaney

I'd have hoped we would target 1 more midfielder. Not that I'm not backing what we have, more it feels like a real need to keep developing depth

We have so many young guys now that consistently adding young guys over and above will only slow down development. No point just hitting the draft hard every year. I'm happy to focus on trading for awhile to boost experience in the squad. We do need a top of the tree style classy young mid though.

Yep, couldn't agree more

I think a bit comes from my lack of awareness on Rankine.

I'm sure when the highlights video drops I'll be excited

100%

A lot of posters here just love talking about the bright new shiny things that show up each draft, but we're in an absolute hole when it comes to experience within our squad.

Just listen to the likes of North Melb, Hawks, Essendon etc, and all they're talking about is getting experience into their squads to accelerate their team development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%

A lot of posters here just love talking about the bright new shiny things that show up each draft, but we're in an absolute hole when it comes to experience within our squad.

Just listen to the likes of North Melb, Hawks, Essendon etc, and all they're talking about is getting experience into their squads to accelerate their team development.

By design. It didn’t just happen that way

Ehhhh nope. Since the 2017 off-season we've had experienced players depart the club both by design, and some out of our control with injuries and people seeking other opportunities.

IMO we have cut far too deep, and are actually younger/less experienced as a squad going into next year.

Ehhhh nope. Since the 2017 off-season we've had experienced players depart the club both by design, and some out of our control with injuries and people seeking other opportunities.

IMO we have cut far too deep, and are actually younger/less experienced as a squad going into next year.

And that is the "by design" part.

Sure we've lost a couple of would be experienced players, but our desire to nuke the joint is really what put us in this hole, experience wise.

Do try to at least agree with yourself: that should be one vote you can rely upon

We've kept enough experiences around the group after 2019 big list turnover but Seedsman and Brown injuries are big loss and Milera not finding form after his ACL leave a big hole in a very young side as with the inconsistent form of Smith who is actually only 30 and now Doedee's inconsistent form. Sloane and M.Crouch dropped off even more than expected after 2019 also doesn't help.

Last edited:
We have picks 5 and 25

Doesn't seem the draft hand capable of a transformation?

I assume we are thinking 5 turns into a couple more picks ?
Hoping #25 back from GC ....and trying to use both #23 and #25 to get back into the teens of the Draft

We've kept enough experiences around the group after 2019 big list turnover but Seedsman and Brown injuries are big loss and Milera not finding form after his ACL leave a big hole in a very young side as with the inconsistent form of Smith who is actually only 30 and now Doedee's inconsistent form. Sloane and M.Crouch dropped off even more than expected after 2019 also doesn't help.

Tell that to the rest of the brains trust here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back