Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What ever happened to equalization? Every year players from the bottom clubs move straight to the top clubs and it's just making geelong, collingwood, richmond etc get stronger and stronger while the bottom clubs get weaker and weaker.

The salary cap has become a joke, it was meant to be a tool to equal the competition but it does nothing. I still think it's very odd how geelong keep all these players in the salary cap and now three young players are going to geelong as well plus they are favourite to land bowes as part of a salary dump from the gc. What a joke. The VFL love their victorian team dominating the competition.

What ever happened to equalization? Every year players from the bottom clubs move straight to the top clubs and it's just making geelong, collingwood, richmond etc get stronger and stronger while the bottom clubs get weaker and weaker.

The salary cap has become a joke, it was meant to be a tool to equal the competition but it does nothing. I still think it's very odd how geelong keep all these players in the salary cap and now three young players are going to geelong as well plus they are favourite to land bowes as part of a salary dump from the gc. What a joke. The VFL love their victorian team dominating the competition.
Don't worry. If they start moving to non-vic sides in the same volumes, the AFL will take action to correct this imbalance.

The clue is in “business owners”
Point is, this is not unique to the afl.

But a club in theory could pay a family member a portion of a players wage.

How do you prove the player has taken a pay cut just to facilitate this? The club can manage its cap how it likes. Maybe the player is a great bloke and is willing to take less for a shot at a flag.

How do you then prove that the family member is not actually entitled to the income they are earning from the club?

Once that person has received the income, payed the tax, they can do what they wish with it. Including giving it back to the player.

Yeah it’s dodgy, and the dots are easy to join. But how do you prove any wrong doing when everyone’s on board?

How do you prove the player has taken a pay cut just to facilitate this? The club can manage its cap how it likes. Maybe the player is a great bloke and is willing to take less for a shot at a flag.

How do you then prove that the family member is not actually entitled to the income they are earning from the club?

Once that person has received the income, payed the tax, they can do what they wish with it. Including giving it back to the player.

Yeah it’s dodgy, and the dots are easy to join. But how do you prove any wrong doing when everyone’s on board?

Players have to disclose all payments and relationships to connected parties

So yes, Danger does have to disclose if his aunty is working for a sponsor

Players have to disclose all payments and relationships to connected parties

So yes, Danger does have to disclose if his aunty is working for a sponsor
What about a major sponspr developer that says to say dangerfield, i have just built a 20 storey apartment building with 100 apartments. I have 5 of them set aside for you for $50k each...when the average punter is paying $500k each...and maybe this deal does not kick in until after you retire.

So many ways to circumvent to AFL if they really wanted

What about a major sponspr developer that says to say dangerfield, i have just built a 20 storey apartment building with 100 apartments. I have 5 of them set aside for you for $50k each...when the average punter is paying $500k each...and maybe this deal does not kick in until after you retire.

So many ways to circumvent to AFL if they really wanted

You’re familiar with the Ben Holland case then? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's getting ridiculous. It has to get a complete overhaul - Geelong have a massive advantage by being the one regional club, in that they can attract back all those Vic Country boys who are interested in the regional lifestyle.
It's their strategic competitive advantage.
What's ours?

When you nail that answer, you now have a long term plan for a successful list.

IMO, the club is already onto this with their "preference" for SA talent.

This is my favourite sort of analysis.

How about old Ralphy boy get a contract at the Herald Sun promising him $1.6m over 2 years.

And then he takes a gig at the Age being paid the same amount, but instead doing it over 3 years. Effectively working that third year for free.

So long as he "gave permission". Who in their right mind will "give permission" to let themselves be ripped off?

How about old Ralphy boy get a contract at the Herald Sun promising him $1.6m over 2 years.

And then he takes a gig at the Age being paid the same amount, but instead doing it over 3 years. Effectively working that third year for free.

So long as he "gave permission". Who in their right mind will "give permission" to let themselves be ripped off?

so st kilda only wanted to pay him 320k average per year and he said no - well no s**t

something doesn't smell right in all this

Surely clubs would dodge the cap more with assets like houses, but even then the AFL should have a team of investigators digging into stuff like that

It all came to a head when Tom Scully’s old man was hired on big money to be a scout for GWS.
So it did.

We also hired Mr Dangerfield as a scout after that when Patrick still played for us, and disclosed to the AFL, who didnt give a s**t as he wasn't earning much at all. Seems they care when it hits six figures though.

This is exactly right: it involves him “agreeing” to work a 3rd year for free.

Or

He could not agree, take his 1.65m over 2 years, and see where the cards fall then

If he’s delisted he’s no worse off. If he discovers some form he’s in a great position to earn more than
$0.00 in year 3

THE GWS Giants will ask the AFL to wipe Phil Scully's $680,000 pay packet from its salary cap after son Tom signed a new five-year deal. Tom Scully of the Greater Western Sydney Giants in action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back