VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Sandringham related but VFL related - Paul Hunter signed on with Port Melbourne - linking up with our old ruck coach Adam Skrobalak who is their new head coach. Think Skrob will take Hunter's game to a new level personally and think Hunter might be in with another shot at the AFL in 1 or 2 years.

Not Sandringham related but VFL related - Paul Hunter signed on with Port Melbourne - linking up with our old ruck coach Adam Skrobalak who is their new head coach. Think Skrob will take Hunter's game to a new level personally and think Hunter might be in with another shot at the AFL in 1 or 2 years.
he's the one who built Marshall right? Found us a gun ruck out of this random rookie pick sitting on the list

He's 28 , he needs to get a move on.

He's 28 , he needs to get a move on.
"Another level" does not mean I think he will be a superstar, you'd have to be stupid to think that. I think he can be a decent contributor at AFL level, much more than we saw at Adelaide & St.Kilda, under the guidance of Skrob who developed Marshall from the rookie list.

"Another level" does not mean I think he will be a superstar, you'd have to be stupid to think that. I think he can be a decent contributor at AFL level, much more than we saw at Adelaide & St.Kilda, under the guidance of Skrob who developed Marshall from the rookie list.
You sure have a chubba for Skrob :openmouth:, wasn't it more the case we had no other rucks and Marshall was thrown in the deep end sink or swim type of thing ?

Yeah he may well have an upside, i think he was underdone this year. Its just at that age he has limited years. And he did spend plenty of time at the Crows, and O'Brian went past him in the pecking order.

I really rate Skrob, but Marshall also had a very good environment at Ballarat.
I read elsewhere that big O was a bit of a mentor, and that when Stephenson was playing, they then put Rowan forward or in defence, which could have developed some of his round the ground skills.

You sure have a chubba for Skrob :openmouth:, wasn't it more the case we had no other rucks and Marshall was thrown in the deep end sink or swim type of thing ?
Why's that? Because the only time I've ever spoken about him positively has always been for the one reason and that was the development of Marshall? No, Skrob was a direct contributor to Marshall's development.

Yeah he may well have an upside, i think he was underdone this year. Its just at that age he has limited years. And he did spend plenty of time at the Crows, and O'Brian went past him in the pecking order.

I really rate Skrob, but Marshall also had a very good environment at Ballarat.
I read elsewhere that big O was a bit of a mentor, and that when Stephenson was playing, they then put Rowan forward or in defence, which could have developed some of his round the ground skills.

Ok

You wouldn't want to be a betting man banking on him to improve , let alone get back onto a AFL list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't want to be a betting man banking on him to improve , let alone get back onto a AFL list
I rate Skrob, I think he'll improve. Should come on as better depth next time around.

I rate Skrob, I think he'll improve. Should come on as better depth next time around.
Im not saying Skrob is no good , just saying he will need to be a miracle worker

Its like trying to win the cup with a Maiden

Im not saying Skrob is no good , just saying he will need to be a miracle worker

Its like trying to win the cup with a Maiden
Hunter doesn't need much to improve enough to get back on a list and be a decent backup ruckman. I think he will do really well at Port Melbourne. Got a smart coach to teach him and can help him find his feet at a level below. Can see him becoming good depth at a contender.

Hunter doesn't need much to improve enough to get back on a list and be a decent backup ruckman. I think he will do really well at Port Melbourne. Got a smart coach to teach him and can help him find his feet at a level below. Can see him becoming good depth at a contender.
Bulldogs maybe when Martin retires. Their other rucks are pretty raw

2022 Pre-Season Update - Sandringham Zebras​

The Sandringham Zebras AFL affiliation with St Kilda will continue into 2022 as the club has started to make changes to their list including re-signings and exits. The Zebras had a mid-tier year in a cancelled 2021 season with a 13th placed finish with four wins but they will be hoping that they can turn that record up a little bit to be one of the most improved sides of 2022.

Click on spoilers for more information.

The Victorian Football League will return for the 2022 season on March the 26th and will continue to align closely with the Australian Football League Men's season for a 22 round season with each team taking four byes each. The Aspley Hornets are the only team to confirm their exit from the eastern coast competition with the remaining 21 clubs beginning to strengthen their sides for another run.

The salary cap has been increased by $20,000 for standalone teams to $220,000 while AFL and AFL-aligned clubs have received just a $10,000 boost to $110,000. The caps also introduce the ability to pay $10,000 of a playing coach's salary outside the cap while indigenous coaches implement a $5,000 concession.

The list size rules also remain pretty much identical to the 2021 rules with AFL affiliate clubs having a maximum of 30 players (15 development players, 15 primary listed players) while stand-alone clubs can have a total of 40 players on their lists (28 primary listed players, 12 development players).

Sandringham’s affiliation with St Kilda will continue into 2022 and so will Jake Batchelor's career as the head coach of the Zebras as he signs a new contract to lead the team into the new season.

Batchelor joined St Kilda in 2019 as a development coach before moving to the head coach role of their reserves team in 2021. He previously held roles at Frankston as a playing assistant coach and played 84 games between 2011 and 2017 for Richmond's AFL team.

Ben Jacobs has also signed a contract with Sandringham to work under Batchelor. Jacobs played 90 AFL games with Port Adelaide and North Melbourne before being delisted as part of a mass delisting at the end of the 2020 season. He will work as an assistant coach for the Sandringham Zebras outfit as he begins his life outside of football developing the next young guns of Australian rules football.

The Sandringham Zebras have begun to put together their 2022 list with the re-signings of 10 players that have decided to stay committed to the AFL-Affiliated side.

Cody Henness and Tyson Milne played seven matches each in 2021 and will be back for more in 2022 alongside the dependable Goy Lok. Lok won the Zebras best and fairest medal after averaging 17.2 disposals over all nine available games in 2021 and you should expect more of the same from him.

Anthony Seaton finished in fourth place in the count and has also signed a new contract while sixth-placed, Darby Hipwell, and tenth-placed, Finlay Bayne, will hope to climb that tally even higher with their new contracts.

Mitch Riordan (5 matches), Chris Carey (7), Jack McHale (7), and Oscar Lewis (7) also spent time at reserves level in the previous season and will continue to expand on that count in 2022 but it will be Daniel Coffield, who led the re-signings as captain of the 2021 season, that the club will be without.

Daniel Coffield will join the Old Melbournians on a full-time basis as he seeks to have fewer football commitments and will leave after just one season at the Zebras while Ex-Hawthorn Hawk Jackson Ross didn’t even make it the full season and is not expected to return in 2022.

Coffield kicked two goals over his seven matches in 2021 while averaging 14 disposals. He was a dependable unit in the side and brought his leadership to St Kilda's young list, something that will be dearly missed.

Macgregor Cameron heads to Coburg after two seasons on Sandringham’s list and Jackson Hille heads north to join the Brisbane Lions VFL list after both struggling for game time in the previous season with just Hille managing one game.

Sam Alabakis, Oscar Clavarino, Luke Dunstan, James Frawley, Paul Hunter, Jack Lonie, and Shaun McKernan spent a lot of time with the VFL squad in 2021. Their time will come to an end with the Saints and the Zebras and will no longer be available for selection.

Oscar Clavarino will join the South Australian state league for South Adelaide while Paul Hunter will stay in Victoria and at one stage will play against Sandringham as he joins Port Melbourne's VFL squad. Jack Lonie was training with Essendon VFL whereas Shaun McKernan has joined the Essendon District Football League and will play for Tullamarine in 2022.

Luke Dunstan joined the Melbourne Demons over the off-season after averaging 36.5 disposals over four matches at VFL level which included a 46 disposal game in round two and will be another big hole to fill for the upcoming season.

Returning Coach, Jake Batchelor has confirmed just 10 of 30 list spots that the Sandringham Zebras will have available going into 2022. There is just one practice match confirmed for the Sandringham Zebras which is to be held on March 5th against Port Melbourne.

IN: None.

OUT:
Daniel Coffield (Old Melbournians), Jackson Ross, Macgregor Cameron (Coburg), Jackson Hille (Brisbane VFL)

RE-SIGNED:
Cody Henness, Anthony Seaton, Tyson Milne, Mitch Riordan, Darby Hipwell, Chris Carey, Jack McHale, Goy Lok, Finlay Bayne, Oscar Lewis

TO BE CONFIRMED:
Hedley Smith, Luke Dalmau, Sam Dunell, Beau Bailey, Trent Thomas, Jesse Castan, Daniel Frampton, Josh Gasparini, Kya Austin, Maxwell Sinclair, Nicholas Bufalo, Riley Thompson, Riley Virtue, Tyson Milne, Vincent Zagari

If circumstances required us to take advantage of the AFL's rules for topping up a list this season would we take a Sandringham player?
Which ones are most likely? Lok? Dunell? Milne?
Not sure any of them particularly suit our list. lok missing the disposal skill, Milne still finding his way to impact the game and don’t know too much about Dunell

Not sure any of them particularly suit our list. lok missing the disposal skill, Milne still finding his way to impact the game and don’t know too much about Dunell

Unless any teams are really unfortunate , most top ups would only get a single game.
If we were desperate enough to top up from the state leagues , beggers probably can't be choosers.

Unless any teams are really unfortunate , most top ups would only get a single game.
If we were desperate enough to top up from the state leagues , beggers probably can't be choosers.

Oh top up players. I thought this was about using our last couple spots. Say elevating a Sandy player in the MSD

I think we'd be looking more at younger players from the whole talent pool for the MSD.
Yeah definitely agree. For covid top ups though I reckon it wouldn’t be a specific player in mind. Just wherever we need a role filled. But midfielders is probably one we wouldn’t touch the top up pool for. If we were really ravaged we’d just give our draftees a game or Bytel

Yeah definitely agree. For covid top ups though I reckon it wouldn’t be a specific player in mind. Just wherever we need a role filled. But midfielders is probably one we wouldn’t touch the top up pool for. If we were really ravaged we’d just give our draftees a game or Bytel
Think you have to have less than the required 23 players from your list left so we may end up with King, Ryder, Heath, Campbell, Marshall, Membrey and Sharman all in the same team if it really hits hard.

FB: Webster, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Allison, Adams, Highmore
C: Hayes, Steele, NWM
HF: Membrey, Marshall, Wood
FF: Campbell, King, Sharman
R: Ryder, Bytel, Windhager
I: Heath, Battle, Owens, Joyce
S: Ross

Shortest player at 187cm.

That being said I think clubs would probably fake a few injuries/exposures to get hold of a few mids and try and find some balance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back