VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

So you both agree that we have a list CAPABLE of Top 4 and we all agree that we're just not executing it properly.

So now we've established the list is capable enough can we focus on the problem - coaching.

Given we've just signed Ratten again, which assistants shoyld we get rid of and who realistically can we get in.

Yeah I think it's a bit of both. Easier to change the coaches than change the list, and easier still to change the assistants than the senior coach, so I agree that's the first step. Ratts is on borrowed time unless there's serious performance next year, so that's the second step. And in parallel with all that, we need to find ways to get more serious competitors on the list. It doesn't seem to have been a priority in the last ten years of list build so might be time to start.

Yeah I think it's a bit of both. Easier to change the coaches than change the list, and easier still to change the assistants than the senior coach, so I agree that's the first step. Ratts is on borrowed time unless there's serious performance next year, so that's the second step. And in parallel with all that, we need to find ways to get more serious competitors on the list. It doesn't seem to have been a priority in the last ten years of list build so might be time to start.
I think that everyone would agree that our defence has held up remarkably well all season and its the transition phases through the midfield and into the f50 where we have fallen down.

No idea of the contract situation but I think its time to move on both Lade and McGlynn and look at some new ideas.

I think that everyone would agree that our defence has held up remarkably well all season and its the transition phases through the midfield and into the f50 where we have fallen down.

Yes, though I don't think it's quite that simple. The defence is standing up because the midfield are working hard back to help out, which at the same time is making it harder for us to rebound when we do get it. Much as I'd like to hope that a new assistant coach can fix the midfield or the forwards, I reckon it's a whole gameplan problem rather than just one line not performing.

The leaders are softly spoken introverts after a poorly thought out drafting policy. I think that's why alpha dogs like JDG appeal now. They're hoping for some oomph. Hayes and Wilkie have a competitive edge, maybe we need to target more older guys with experience in finals from state leagues.

Yes, though I don't think it's quite that simple. The defence is standing up because the midfield are working hard back to help out, which at the same time is making it harder for us to rebound when we do get it. Much as I'd like to hope that a new assistant coach can fix the midfield or the forwards, I reckon it's a whole gameplan problem rather than just one line not performing.

That's modern footy though where your wings come up to cover your backs and then stream forward when the ball turns over. To me those kind of transition parts are where your senior coach and strategists have responsibility. If there is some kind of confusion between the the mids and backs then they should have them training the defensive transition moves with them which I imagine they do.

Well I stand corrected on Hammill but the proof is in the results. We look terrible in our forward structure. It still suggests that we have the wrong coaching set up. Rath has to be part of the problem. He's a our strategy guy isn't he? I think our game style, game plan and structures look amateurish.
Hamill was our forwards coach a few years ago, he then got moved to backline for I think 1 or 2 seasons

The leaders are softly spoken introverts after a poorly thought out drafting policy. I think that's why alpha dogs like JDG appeal now. They're hoping for some oomph. Hayes and Wilkie have a competitive edge, maybe we need to target more older guys with experience in finals from state leagues.

I wouldn't mistake JDG for an Alpha dog.

True Richmond and Collingwood you would say we're a fair wat below ours at the start of the year

It's quite insane how much we have underperformed in the second half of the year. We played just as well when we had hardly any players left. We had to drag Dunny back in after telling him he was gone even and guys like Coops were bought in off no form in the VFL because the cupboard was bare.

On Max Heath:

"He was outnumbered a lot of the time but still managed to have an impact and brought the ball to ground. Ideally, we are getting to a point where he isn’t outnumbered and our team attack improves but he performed his role well."

Lol even at VFL level the coaches are still struggling to organise the forward line.

On Max Heath:

"He was outnumbered a lot of the time but still managed to have an impact and brought the ball to ground. Ideally, we are getting to a point where he isn’t outnumbered and our team attack improves but he performed his role well."

Lol even at VFL level the coaches are still struggling to organise the forward line.

Acknowledgement of the problem is a good start.

No point me bitching about bumping into things and falling down, if i realize its because of the bourbon i put away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Tom Campbell
28 disposals, 34 hitouts, eight marks, six inside-50s, five clearances, two goals

Colossal. It was Tom’s best game for the year, it was the best game of the year from anyone I’ve seen at the VFL level."

Yeah Batch - but was it good enough to overcome the selection panels entrenched belief that Ryder is the only one who can play alongside Marshall!!!

"Tom Campbell
28 disposals, 34 hitouts, eight marks, six inside-50s, five clearances, two goals

Colossal. It was Tom’s best game for the year, it was the best game of the year from anyone I’ve seen at the VFL level."

Yeah Batch - but was it good enough to overcome the selection panels entrenched belief that Ryder is the only one who can play alongside Marshall!!!

The comments about him taking marks in defence were interesting.

What if....instead of Membrey......

Nahhh too radical.

Im sure we had 10-11 listed. Apart from Jones who else dropped out?
Nah just bugger all listed
Peris, Adams and Highmore are rested or have phantom injuries.
DMac didnt get up and I would assume will be ruled out for the rest of year after the loss last night unless something crazy happens with other results.

Completely agree.. we’re constantly robbing Peter to play Paul, but causing another big issue in the process..

1. We push mids back to defence when defending.. but when we do get the ball, defensive 50 is fully congested with no space to move the ball quickly except a rushed dump kick often resulting a turnover..

2. When we have the ball in defence, we push all of our forwards to one side of the wing for a long bomb down the line.. it’s low risk play but also kills the chance to score easily.. when we do win the ball, we have no one in the forward line.

3. If we don’t long bomb down the line, we chip 20 metre kicks and move the ball at snail pace, by then the opposition are already flooded their defence, any forward entry will be to a pack of players, giving our forwards little or no chance..

What is our brand? I’ve heard saints footy is contested footy.. then how come we hardly kick to a contest favouring our players e.g. on the lead or 1 out.. we seem to often kick to a big pack of players, expect miracles to happen.. that’s kick and hope stuff, that’s why we’re inconsistent.. because like Riewoldt and offer commentator has highlighted, our game style cannot be effective repeated, it needs pressure to be at 120% all the time… we rely on opposition mistakes to kick goals because we’re so inefficient with the ball when attacking.. for example, Sinclair seems to be only one trying to create run out of the back line, what about Webster, Wilkie, Battle who are all ok to good kicks, they should be instructed to create the run from backline as much as possible to reduce the work load on mids/forwards to work up the grounds to help.

Good teams use the entirety of the ground to create space so it’s easier to transition the ball, we tend to clog the space to make it a scrap like rugby and in the process create another problem for ourselves.. after playing like this for nearly 10 years and most fans can see this, i don’t know why a supposedly experienced coach in Ratten can’t see it and ratify this.. instead he often blames it on players’ execution, inaccuracy, pressure..all missing the mark completely.. That’s why I think Ratts has no idea..

Last edited:
Completely agree.. we’re constantly robbing Peter to play Paul, but causing another big issue in the process..

1. We push mids back to defence when defending.. but when we do get the ball, defensive 50 is fully congested with no space to move the ball quickly except a rushed dump kick often resulting a turnover..

2. When we have the ball in defence, we push all of our forwards to one side of the wing for a long bomb down the line.. it’s low risk play but also kills the chance to score easily.. when we do win the ball, we have no one in the forward line.

3. If we don’t long bomb down the line, we chip 20 metre kicks and move the ball at snail pace, by then the opposition are already flooded their defence, any forward entry will be to a pack of players, giving our forwards little or no chance..

What is our brand? I’ve heard saints footy is contested footy.. then how come we hardly kick to a contest favouring our players e.g. on the lead or 1 out.. we seem to often kick to a big pack of players, expect miracles to happen.. that’s kick and hope stuff, that’s why we’re inconsistent.. because like Riewoldt and offer commentator has highlighted, our game style cannot be effective repeated, it needs pressure to be at 120% all the time… we reply on opposition mistakes to kick goals because we’re so inefficient with the ball when attacking.. for example, Sinclair seems to be only way trying to create run out of the back line, what about Webster, Wilkie, Battle who are all ok to good kicks, they should be instructed to create the run from backline as much as possible to reduce the work load on mids/forwards to work up the grounds to help.
We also don’t seem to have any kind of handball game, in tight, finding space and time or to be challenge the oppo. We tend to go backwards or just kick it out of a pack and then it’s back to a 50:50.

That performance last night was embarrassing, time to see who we can pick out of the 2’s.

The 2’s :

Ll Cool J Smh GIF by ION

We also don’t seem to have any kind of handball game, in tight, finding space and time or to be challenge the oppo. We tend to go backwards or just kick it out of a pack and then it’s back to a 50:50.
Basically we take the easy way out/safe approach. It’s almost like efficiency and kicking goals are not important.. it’s ok if you are doing this in a soccer game where 1 goal will win you the game.. but when you need to kick 12+ goals in a game, inefficiencies kills you.

Well it looks like the continuing stanout in Sandy is Tom Campbell and given that the last senior game is a dead rubber IMHO then it would be good for him to play in the seniors to see if he can be the second ruck/forward. Byrnes and Bytel still worth developing. Biggest dissapointment is Allison who is showing nothing. I can't understand why he got a 2 year extension. Does he have a relative on the board of the club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back