VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highmore not getting a run is just mean. He 24 disposals off 16 marks, highest AF score for either side.We had the 4 most effective players on the ground according to AF scores. Dow didn't lay a tackle so obviously why he isn't playing. Bytel with 8 tackles might be enough to get him a run for Steele.

Bytel's problem (aside from looking a bit scrappy overall), is still that he is limited in his versatility. Crouch, Jones, Ross and Gresham are going to be the four main midfielders next week, whether or not Bytel plays. I don't see a role for him. He needs to play purely mid if he plays, but there's only a small amount of midfield time available really. Owens a much more tempting inclusion I reckon, given he can go forward and be a threat.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Highmore not getting a run is just mean. He 24 disposals off 16 marks, highest AF score for either side.We had the 4 most effective players on the ground according to AF scores. Dow didn't lay a tackle so obviously why he isn't playing. Bytel with 8 tackles might be enough to get him a run for Steele.

I think he is just unlucky. Everything you read about successful sides is having a stable backline. Still thin he behind any back player.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013

Bytel with 8 tackles is good

He'd make up for Steele being out. That looked like a lot of what we were missing. It's almost now or never for him. He got better as the game went on IMO.

Yeah probably. I just think he's capable of more and don't like it when I don't see it. Not exactly going 100% and knocking the door down.

Probably trying not to go too hard.

Yeah probably. I just think he's capable of more and don't like it when I don't see it. Not exactly going 100% and knocking the door down.
For the wraps some put on him he should be getting an easy 35 touches , i know he had 28 but they didn't seem to be damaging , a lot of chip sideways kicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Jack

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Umpiring shocking.

Whole club needs to work on tackling technique.

Clark worked hard at perfecting the underground handball. Very classy.

Backline solid.

Heath and Allison promising.

Butler rusty.

Connolly has some tricks.

Bytel a fraction disappointing for me,

Owens will be a beast. Showing plenty.

Highmore and Ronnie Burnes our best imo.

Good hit out for the boys on the fringe.

GeTrain

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
How was Heath's work up forward? I know he kicked 3, but goal tally doesn't always tell the full story.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heath and Allison promising.
Heath’s development I’ve been quite impressed with. The club has managed him well. Giving him a run of matches as the full time ruck letting him work on his tap work and endurance but also having matches where he primarily is a forward ruck, letting him work on his forward craft and ability to impact in the role he’ll likely spend most of his early career in.

Alison I’m glad seems to be improving more and more but I honestly have no clue what the club’s vision for him is. Hard to see whether he’s trending the right direction since it’s not exactly clear what we want him to become. Winger? Backman? Forward?

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
How was Heath's work up forward? I know he kicked 3, but goal tally doesn't always tell the full story.
Good hands. Obviously he’s no max king but he’s taller and knows how to use his height and long arms to get the ball. I don’t think his leading and such is particularly special or anything but in packs he’s able to impact the contest or take a mark. Multiple times this season he’s taken a good contested mark inside 50.

Heath’s development I’ve been quite impressed with. The club has managed him well. Giving him a run of matches as the full time ruck letting him work on his tap work and endurance but also having matches where he primarily is a forward ruck, letting him work on his forward craft and ability to impact in the role he’ll likely spend most of his early career in.

Alison I’m glad seems to be improving more and more but I honestly have no clue what the club’s vision for him is. Hard to see whether he’s trending the right direction since it’s not exactly clear what we want him to become. Winger? Backman? Forward?
Good write up , I think Max is the most promising young ruck we have drafted or trade for since Spider , maybe i have missed someone (Big Ben ) ?

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Good write up , I think Max is the most promising young ruck we have drafted or trade for since Spider , maybe i have missed someone (Big Ben ) ?
Yep Ben was very good but cost a lot more. Longer is clearly the best we traded for. Longer hickey debate. Laughable many said longer.

Last edited:

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some beautiful stat lines.

• Highmore: 26 Disposals and 17 Mark's
  • Byrnes and Clark with 30+ possies
  • Bytel with 26 Disposals and 8 tackles
  • Owens with 24 possies and 2 goals
  • Lienert, Joyce, Geary, Campbell putting their hands up should they be required.

This will be a tough week for the selectors.

You'd think Highmores form has to be rewarded eventually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back