VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

I was never a Longer fan. Always in the Hickey camp. Did you know though that Longer holds the record for the most hit outs ever in a season by a Saints player. Yep, that's EVER. Had 80 more than the second best. And that was off only 17 games

So much for stats.
He frustrated the crap out of me , he'd get 50+ hitiouts and more than 10 contested possessions, the the next 10 games....nothing.

Alison seems like he is just a bit timid ATM the kid can run , jump and take a mark, they need to work out where they want to play him instead of a different position every week.
So much potential, just need to unlock it
Better than no potential. Which we were all wondering why he was picked up

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
So 17 marks to Highmore.

From those that saw the game were they mainly intercepts, or were they stacked from team mates chipping to each other?

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heath is having a really impressive season. Importantly, he looks good in the ruck and up forward. He's got a good set of hands, seems to read it well as a forward and takes it at a very high point. With his size, he'll be very hard for defenders to outreach. He also shows a real intent to chase which is a great sign. A couple of three goal efforts already in his first half dozen games.

In the ruck, he seems to have some genuine tapping craft. Doesn't just bunt it anywhere as lots of rucks do. In games where he's been the main ruck, he's shown that he can find the ball around the ground.

He's skinny and clearly still needs development, but I'm already excited to see what he'll be able to do at the top level. Ideally, Ryder can hang on for another year and Heath can spend 22 & 23 developing at Sandy. Would hopefully be ready to then strike up a partnership with Marshall in 24 onwards.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Alison seems like he is just a bit timid ATM the kid can run , jump and take a mark, they need to work out where they want to play him instead of a different position every week.
You'd reckon that's why they have him contracted till end of 2024.
It hasn't taken much for the naysayers to change their tunes.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
He'd make up for Steele being out. That looked like a lot of what we were missing. It's almost now or never for him. He got better as the game went on IMO.

We were out tackled by Adelaide. They had Berry, Laird, Hately and Strachan with 9, 8, 8 and 5 tackles. Saints best 3 were Crouch, Gresh and Dougs with 4. A tackling pig and clearance machine like Bytel would be a welcome addition imo.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Heath is having a really impressive season. Importantly, he looks good in the ruck and up forward. He's got a good set of hands, seems to read it well as a forward and takes it at a very high point. With his size, he'll be very hard for defenders to outreach. He also shows a real intent to chase which is a great sign. A couple of three goal efforts already in his first half dozen games.

In the ruck, he seems to have some genuine tapping craft. Doesn't just bunt it anywhere as lots of rucks do. In games where he's been the main ruck, he's shown that he can find the ball around the ground.

He's skinny and clearly still needs development, but I'm already excited to see what he'll be able to do at the top level. Ideally, Ryder can hang on for another year and Heath can spend 22 & 23 developing at Sandy. Would hopefully be ready to then strike up a partnership with Marshall in 24 onwards.
On his tap work I’d love for someone to find one he did a couple games ago. I think to Byrnes? Was a beautiful setpiece tap reminiscent of paddy

DT58_HO34

Draftee
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Any way to watch the full match replay? Sorry if this is common knowledge. Keen to see how some of the potential Steele replacements went.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Channel 7 or 7+. Ads are frequent and a bit annoying but a good broadcast. Owens is a bull and looks like he'll be a handful in a couple of years. Still only 18 which is crazy.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
It’s not timid ness. It’s being able to get easier ball. His attributes are quite good imo. Moves well good skills good attack. Once he sorts out his ball winijng we’ll see it more.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Channel 7 or 7+. Ads are frequent and a bit annoying but a good broadcast. Owens is a bull and looks like he'll be a handful in a couple of years. Still only 18 which is crazy.
Yeah - a very interesting comment was made during the call.

Basically said that they are playing Mitch forward more because they are concerned that his attack on the ball and the player is too intense compared to his physical development especially at a senior level.

He does love a contest - I think I read in one of Batch's reviews they were a bit concerned he might seriously hurt someone at training because he is so hard at it.

Field kicking looks a bit rushed but he seems a pretty solid set shot.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
Yeah - a very interesting comment was made during the call.

Basically said that they are playing Mitch forward more because they are concerned that his attack on the ball and the player is too intense compared to his physical development especially at a senior level.

He does love a contest - I think I read in one of Batch's reviews they were a bit concerned he might seriously hurt someone at training because he is so hard at it.

Field kicking looks a bit rushed but he seens a pretty solid set shot.

Must be the Bushidō coursing through him

Yes but now I have to wait to read the praise about Byrnes, Highmore, Heath, Bytel, Clark, Owens, lienart.

He's actually balanced and says what they were meant to do as well as what was good.

stfan

The Fan in Waiting
Mar 12, 2008
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
We were out tackled by Adelaide. They had Berry, Laird, Hately and Strachan with 9, 8, 8 and 5 tackles. Saints best 3 were Crouch, Gresh and Dougs with 4. A tackling pig and clearance machine like Bytel would be a welcome addition imo.

I said last week that I believed that Bytel is our closest match to fill in for Steele. Bytel is a big and genuine inside mid who also tackles. We have ample outside players now to choose from. But we need a Steele ROLE replacement not outside players.

Clark really does look like a rolls royce. Love how he looks to hit a target with every kick instead of the old just bang it on the boot. He must come back in. Let him grow with Steele out and then when he comes back look out.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I was never a Longer fan. Always in the Hickey camp. Did you know though that Longer holds the record for the most hit outs ever in a season by a Saints player. Yep, that's EVER. Had 80 more than the second best. And that was off only 17 games

So much for stats.
The mids preferred Billy as he threw his big body around at stoppages & cleared some space for them.

There's no statistical category for that.

Feb 8, 2012
Publican Baghdad Ritz
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Hopefully a preview of our match in a few weeks ;)

season 2 episode 3 GIF by IFC

I've got lots of Blues in the family so I'm just happy that we are both up at the same time. I couldn't handle you guys jumping us, St Kilda haven't given us anything for years but at least I could always wind up the Carlton supporters.

If you're going to come good at least we can run along side you. Hopefully we'll see you in the GF and have a proper grudge match.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
I've got lots of Blues in the family so I'm just happy that we are both up at the same time. I couldn't handle you guys jumping us, St Kilda haven't given us anything for years but at least I could always wind up the Carlton supporters.

If you're going to come good at least we can run along side you. Hopefully we'll see you in the GF and have a proper grudge match.
Good Friday Game

Should be Saints V Blues

Would be a sellout

Back