VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
So strange we drafted him as a forward yet we tried him as a defender and wing first.

And no surprise, plays his best game for the season and as Bachelor put it, showed some arrogance and a real presence for the first time. We need to leave him there, even if he has a poor game, because it is so hard for a young player to improve with no consistency week to week.
He started forward last year.

He was well off the pace of VFL footy though so it made sense to throw him back as a third tall for a while.

I think we kept the wing experiment going a bit long though. No issues with us trying him in different roles though.

Doubt he would have been selected for Sandringham last year if he wasn't on an AFL list, that's how far off he was.

He's starting to show signs of improvement now, so obviously we've don't something right.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably cause they knew they were getting Owens and windy in the next year
Doubt we ever predicted what would happen with Owens. He went from being dropped from the Sandringam dragons squad and looking like not getting drafted to growing 15cm and being one of the biggest surprises out of last year
How was Bytel's run and spread? How's his tank going?
This is his biggest issue. When you get 17 contested touches you should be having a field day, ending up with 35 plus possessions. If he can ever find another yard of pace and improve his tank he'll be a player. Has rarely been able to find enough footy though.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
I agree with this 100%.
I think they rolled the dice on what they thought might be a high upside athletic tall with little exposed form.
They'd landed Snags and Crouch and pick 26 in the covid draft was a free hit.
Admittedly I wasn't happy about the selection and more so as the negative reports rolled in from VFL watchers. Then I saw Matty on the tele and instantly formed the opinion that you've stated here. It's obvious what they saw in him.
And didn’t he grow very quickly?

May 24, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
CFB6808A-23DF-4BAC-8AFE-E6618D446D7F.jpeg

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Very weird we have left those players out along with Kent given we have a bye coming up next week in VFL and AFL.
Not convinced they need 2 weeks off in a row unless they are injured?
Oscar Adams was named in the team against Carlton but didn't take the field.

No explanation, not listed as injured - no rumours from any of the supposed ITK's of this forum.

Very weird we have left those players out along with Kent given we have a bye coming up next week in VFL and AFL.
Not convinced they need 2 weeks off in a row unless they are injured?

The backline is stacked so can see why Adams can't get a game. Kyle seems t be left out a lot. Perhaps trying together him to work on intensity or something.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
The backline is stacked so can see why Adams can't get a game. Kyle seems t be left out a lot. Perhaps trying together him to work on intensity or something.
Surely it is not a case of cant get a game. You find a way to get them a run.
Throw him fwd or in the ruck or something?

Would be lovely to see some clarity on why players dont play though

Norf well on top for a long while there, and getting the rub of the green from the umps, before we got one back to go in front.

Pretty poor showing from Sandy in the second and third quarters and early in the last.

Last edited:
Sandy bloody good since Norf hit the front.

Fair play.

We went from being behind to winning with a game-high lead within that quarter. Have to be happy with that

EDIT: My mistake, apparently our biggest lead was 36 points at one stage. Either way ✅

Back