VFLW Game Day 2022 Season - Minor premiers! Undefeated, finals start next week!🎶 Our girls who play this grand old game 🎶

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 14 v Casey Demons
Essendon v Casey at Windy Hill - Live from 11am Saturday on AFL.com.au

ESSENDON
B25. I. Ayre21. A. Morcom
HB13. E. Hosking14. D. Marshall16. T. Crook
C1. C. Ugle5. G. Nanscawen9. M.Anthony
HF26. J. Doonan44. G. Dicker22. N. MacDonald
F4. M. Clifford24. R. Tierney
R30. S.Nalder23. A. Radford42. J. Zanchetta
INT34. E. Everist18. K. Heil45. B. Clarke
28. A. Barba17. F.Frew
EMG7. J. Davies36. R. Sutton10. E. Cornish
43. O. DiDonato15. L.Caruso
INS22. N. MacDonald45. B. Clarke
OUTS19. N. Julian43. O. DiDonato
CASEY DEMONS
B18. E. OConnor39. T. Gillard
HB12. A. Brown14. M. Chaplin4. S. Heath
C17. I. Simmons6. S. Johnson38. A. Kirkwood
HF25. M. Harasimiuk15. C. McCrossan8. S. Fairchild
F24. M. Fitzsimon36. G. Campbell
R22. S. Wales11. E. West26. E. Horne
INT34. C. Blair45. M. Hogg16. B. Woolcock
58. C. Conroy50. K. Angelis
EMG7. C. Selleck27. A. Laing
INS36. G. Campbell39. T. Gillard12. A. Brown
15. C. McCrossan16. B. Woolcock
OUTS29. A. Blair30. R. Grant9. L. Wales
37. B. Borchard23. Z. Mitchell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuse the perhaps silly question.
Its obviously a great start, when we get the AFLW team how many of these women do we keep on our list?
Or is this for all intents and purposes our AFLW team that we will add draft picks to?

Excuse the perhaps silly question.
Its obviously a great start, when we get the AFLW team how many of these women do we keep on our list?
Or is this for all intents and purposes our AFLW team that we will add draft picks to?
We can sign a certain number of players sort of like delisted free agents/SSP in the AFL, where they have to have nominated for the draft previously and not been selected. Our entire VFLW list falls under that category as far as I know.

I think it’s a deliberate strategy for us and for the other 3 clubs to build up a list in advance and then transfer most of it to the AFLW list when we can. We have a lot of ex-AFLW players that fell off the roster due to injuries or whatever, and a couple that haven’t put their hand up since then because they seem to have committed themselves to being at Essendon when we do get a team.

Then we can also sign free agents from other clubs and we’ll also have draft picks, though the exact order and arrangement is yet to be determined.

We actually have an inaugural list build thread somewhere around here, though I doubt it will get much use until June-ish

And there’s also a women’s footy sub-board over on the trade board now as well with another Essendon thread about our list build hahah

We can sign a certain number of players sort of like delisted free agents/SSP in the AFL, where they have to have nominated for the draft previously and not been selected. Our entire VFLW list falls under that category as far as I know.

I think it’s a deliberate strategy for us and for the other 3 clubs to build up a list in advance and then transfer most of it to the AFLW list when we can. We have a lot of ex-AFLW players that fell off the roster due to injuries or whatever, and a couple that haven’t put their hand up since then because they seem to have committed themselves to being at Essendon when we do get a team.

Then we can also sign free agents from other clubs and we’ll also have draft picks, though the exact order and arrangement is yet to be determined.

We actually have an inaugural list build thread somewhere around here, though I doubt it will get much use until June-ish

And there’s also a women’s footy sub-board over on the trade board now as well with another Essendon thread about our list build hahah
I've seen the full list for this year here;

But I can't find a best 22 anywhere and I'd like to get to know the players. I know you were talking up Nanscawen yesterday so I guess she's on-ball. Got time for a 22?

I've seen the full list for this year here;

But I can't find a best 22 anywhere and I'd like to get to know the players. I know you were talking up Nanscawen yesterday so I guess she's on-ball. Got time for a 22?
I don't know all of them either haha, the coverage of VFLW is pretty limited, they don't name teams in position, it's just a list, we didn't have proper stats until recently and they're also limited, and the actual footage of the game can be quite poor quality which makes it difficult to tell one from the other unless they have an obvious defining feature. Also, we're dominating so unsurprisingly the few I can name are mostly playing on-ball, midfield and forward 🤣

So the names I do know:
  • Courtney Ugle wears the number 1 guernsey, and was our inaugural captain for the first two years of our VFLW team. She's an Aboriginal woman and does a fair bit in that space in terms of advocacy, and has been the face of the women's team and doing the promo photos for the bomber shop for a while now. She plays on the wing, blonde pony tail, always tackling. Also often see her getting around the other girls before, during and after games encouraging them.
  • Mia-Rae Clifford wears number 4, is our co-captain and used to play for Fremantle AFLW. I don't know a great deal about her but she was taking marks and kicking goals yesterday and seems to be a popular member of the group.
  • Georgia Nanscawen wears number 5 (used to have 43), was our captain last year, co-captain with Clifford this year, won the equivalent of the Brownlow in the VFLW last year, and used to play for North Melbourne-Tasmania in the AFLW. She is also a former Hockeyroo and played for Australia some years ago, including a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games. She's got the curly red hair and you really can't miss her, she's EVERYWHERE. Plays on ball, clean hands in the contest, laying tackles all over the place.
  • Eloise Ashley-Cooper wears number 8, she won the club B&F last year. Netball convert.
  • Federica Frew in number 17, plays as a forward, kicks goals. US college soccer background.
  • Kendra Heil (18), plays around half-forward or wing I think, extremely long brown hair usually in a bun. Former AFLW player for Collingwood iirc but did her ACL once or twice and lost her spot on the list. She's an artist and does a lot of sport portraits, including that one of Andy McGrath that was posted a while ago. She's also a Canadian, like Pidge, and played Aussie rules in Canada before moving here.
  • Cecilia McIntosh (20, used to have 5), short hair, covered in tats, over 40, used to play for Collingwood AFLW. Seems like a ripping person.
  • Renee Tierney, wears 24. New, young, like 19 I think. Small forward, kicked a few goals yesterday.
  • Simone Nalder (30). Leadership group this year, which is a group of two co-captains and Nalder, so effectively she's the vice-captain. She plays ruck.
  • Olivia Manfre (38). Development listed player who kicked a couple of pretty nice goals yesterday - small forward.
  • Jordan Zanchetta (42). Lots of blonde hair, teams up with Nanscawen in the middle. New to Essendon this year, comes from Brisbane's AFLW side.

The other names on the list are familiar but I don't know what position they play or what they look like or anything else about them, so it's not particularly useful. And then there's a couple more names I learned last year but then they got drafted! So not much help anymore. Hopefully we can get them back.

I don't know all of them either haha, the coverage of VFLW is pretty limited, they don't name teams in position, it's just a list, we didn't have proper stats until recently and they're also limited, and the actual footage of the game can be quite poor quality which makes it difficult to tell one from the other unless they have an obvious defining feature. Also, we're dominating so unsurprisingly the few I can name are mostly playing on-ball, midfield and forward 🤣

So the names I do know:
  • Courtney Ugle wears the number 1 guernsey, and was our inaugural captain for the first two years of our VFLW team. She's an Aboriginal woman and does a fair bit in that space in terms of advocacy, and has been the face of the women's team and doing the promo photos for the bomber shop for a while now. She plays on the wing, blonde pony tail, always tackling. Also often see her getting around the other girls before, during and after games encouraging them.
  • Mia-Rae Clifford wears number 4, is our co-captain and used to play for Fremantle AFLW. I don't know a great deal about her but she was taking marks and kicking goals yesterday and seems to be a popular member of the group.
  • Georgia Nanscawen wears number 5 (used to have 43), was our captain last year, co-captain with Clifford this year, won the equivalent of the Brownlow in the VFLW last year, and used to play for North Melbourne-Tasmania in the AFLW. She is also a former Hockeyroo and played for Australia some years ago, including a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games. She's got the curly red hair and you really can't miss her, she's EVERYWHERE. Plays on ball, clean hands in the contest, laying tackles all over the place.
  • Eloise Ashley-Cooper wears number 8, she won the club B&F last year. Netball convert.
  • Federica Frew in number 17, plays as a forward, kicks goals. US college soccer background.
  • Kendra Heil (18), plays around half-forward or wing I think, extremely long brown hair usually in a bun. Former AFLW player for Collingwood iirc but did her ACL once or twice and lost her spot on the list. She's an artist and does a lot of sport portraits, including that one of Andy McGrath that was posted a while ago. She's also a Canadian, like Pidge, and played Aussie rules in Canada before moving here.
  • Cecilia McIntosh (20, used to have 5), short hair, covered in tats, over 40, used to play for Collingwood AFLW. Seems like a ripping person.
  • Renee Tierney, wears 24. New, young, like 19 I think. Small forward, kicked a few goals yesterday.
  • Simone Nalder (30). Leadership group this year, which is a group of two co-captains and Nalder, so effectively she's the vice-captain. She plays ruck.
  • Olivia Manfre (38). Development listed player who kicked a couple of pretty nice goals yesterday - small forward.
  • Jordan Zanchetta (42). Lots of blonde hair, teams up with Nanscawen in the middle. New to Essendon this year, comes from Brisbane's AFLW side.

The other names on the list are familiar but I don't know what position they play or what they look like or anything else about them, so it's not particularly useful. And then there's a couple more names I learned last year but then they got drafted! So not much help anymore. Hopefully we can get them back.
Awesome post, Lore, thanks! Now I'll feel obligated to follow the team! I only really knew of Nanscawen and Ugle so your summary will help me fill in the gaps.

Round 3 @ Carlton – Teams
Teams for this week's match at IKON Park, Carlton.

FREE ENTRY. Game live on WARFRadio.com from 1pm (and 89.1FM at the ground) and via VFLW YouTube from 1:55pm

ESSENDON VFLW
B16. T. Crook21. A. Morcom
BH8. E. Ashley-Cooper13. E. Hosking19. N. Julian
C42. J. Zanchetta1. C. Ugle18. K. Heil
HF7. J.Davies20. C. McIntosh24. R. Tierney
F17. F.Frew4. M. Clifford
R30. S. Nalder3. S. Ford5. G. Nanscawen
INT14. D. Marshall9. M. Anthony23. A. Radford
44. G. Dicker10. E.Cornish
EMG12. I. Currenti2. M. Trethowan15. L. Caruso
46. G. Elarmaly45. B. Clarke22. N. MacDonald

CARLTON VFLW