No Oppo Supporters 2022 Season - Season in review

Remove this Banner Ad

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Well, two weeks of heart-breaking finishes has resulted in the end of Carlton's season. It was a promising and frankly unbelievable start of 8-2. But the wheels thereafter fell off to finish the season with 12-10 and losing the last 4 games.

There were demonstrative improvements on field between this year and last year. Finishing 14th last year and ending the 2022 season in 9th with 12 wins. Charlie returns and wins the Coleman. We finally beat Richmond in the opening round and there were a handful of games where we hung onto the win in circumstances where the opposition was coming hard at us.

Yes, we had injuries and they hurt us. But 21 weeks sitting in the top 8, and to end the season with a 1 point loss that knocks us out of the 8.

Despite the inroads made this year, I would regard this season as a failure. We had every chance to make the finals after such a long stint out and, frankly, we blew the bundle.

The way this season has ended will either make them or break them, and I really REALLY hope it will galvanise the group and push them into a strong and strict pre-season of drilling the basics and maintaining composure under pressure.

This will be yet another tough 6 months.

I hope they feel the burn to work harder and realise they cost themselves a shot at both Top 8 and Top 4. They also know they’re capable.

The defence is solid. The midfield needs two players. Carroll might be one to step up plus a decent between the arcs midfielder.

Plus we need someone to ensure Owies and Durdin and Honey are fighting for the same spot cos two of the three has not been productive enough. Motlop is going to be a star. Cunningham might have been it without the time in the injury ward.

Failure.

Wasted a year where we had our best players in their primes.

Got a Coleman medal winning season from Charlie and an awesome year from Docherty and still had one of the longest injury lists in the league.

Fact is the team didn't show up against Gold Coast, Adelaide, St Kilda. They barely fired a shot vs Geelong, Brisbane, Freo in Perth. They turned off the gas vs Hawthorn and Port and led leads get eroded. They blew the last two matches. Two more goals and we make finals.

Last year we won 8 games and thought that was so bad we sacked the coach and launched a review. This year we added Cerra, Curnow, Hewitt, Young and a fit Docherty and managed 12 games and a slight ladder position boost.

It's not good enough and if they are serious they need another review. 11 years since we made the top 8. 22 years since we made the top 4. 7 years since we launched our '66 game rebuild'. The club is the laughing stock of the league, again.

Yep, it's a failure for me.

I still consider the season a success, regardless of today's result. There are plenty of positives to take from the year we had plus the new coaching team has now had a year to look at our players closely and determine who is part of our future success and who won't be.

It'll be good to get another preseason into this group and I'm sure that they will come out breathing fire next year after the experience of this one. We made some very good additions to our list last year in Hewett, Cerra, and Young, looking forward to more of the same this year, we are still not the finished product.

There's a lot to look forward to.

100% a failure. 8-2 to start the season with chances to lock themselves into the top 8 in our last 4 games and they still blew it. However, I believe now more than ever that we have a nucleus there to win a flag. We have good coaching and we have good players. The next step is to add to our coaching with the upcoming soft cap increases and refine the list. Perhaps we need to go out and find someone with premiership experience to add to this playing group because they are missing something that is quite intangible. Can’t go to water in this fashion.

Not a success, nor a failure, just the realistic outcome of wins for where we are as a side. 50% increase in output from last year, with a new coach and the worst injury list of the top 10 sides

Team is no where near their prime and if we had of made finals, we would have had the least experience (players 28+) of any top 8 side

Not a Pass, but not a complete fail
  • Two losses in the last two minutes of the last two games
  • We lost the game against Adelaide that would’ve put us into the final
  • Didn’t turn up for three quarters against lions
  • Gave up huge leads against port and hawks, that percentage loss cost us.
The last two weeks were as good as finals and showed we could hang with the big boys, but not quite there.

We’ve got the frame of a good team. Need to put a tonne of work into learning how to read a game and adjust the way we play, and not wait for end of quarter breaks.

Last edited:
Are we a better team yes … but the season was a failure given where we were … 100% now the challenge is to get better personnel wise injury wise and ffs composure wise the latter being our biggest issue that needs addressing … will never stop supporting this club that’s non negotiable …

Making the 8 would’ve been a success.

But missing out on percentage and trash second half of the year filled with chokes - I still don’t see this year as a failure.

It’s not black and white (vomit).

But now I feel the expectations for next year should increase to top 4 as a success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a failure. There's different levels of failure and this is the first time we've at least been close to not being one for nearly 10 years. But we still are. If you were marking an exam we'd have got 47 out of 100. It's still a fail. Just like the other 8 years when we got in there and all we managed was writing our name at the top of the page. And in some of those years we possibly spelt it wrong too!

I still consider the season a success, regardless of today's result. There are plenty of positives to take from the year we had plus the new coaching team has now had a year to look at our players closely and determine who is part of our future success and who won't be.

It'll be good to get another preseason into this group and I'm sure that they will come out breathing fire next year after the experience of this one. We made some very good additions to our list last year in Hewett, Cerra, and Young, looking forward to more of the same this year, we are still not the finished product.

There's a lot to look forward to.
We always reset expectations & goals but the season would be deemed a failure winning only 2 games after being 10-4 is not acceptable.

The last two games were a indicator that the group is lacking some mental toughness so alot of work to do in this area and greater consistency of performance.
Our list has most areas covered but highly disappointing finish to the season.

Everyone seems to be writing the season off because we missed finals by a point. Given the way we’ve played in the second half of this year, we were not going to go deep into finals even if we did manage to get over the line today. FWIW, this is about where I saw us finishing, so while being incredibly disappointed that we’ve missed finals again, I’m not surprised given where we were coming from last year.

You can chose to look at this year as a failure if you want, but I’m going to look at the positives.

We won 50% more games than we did last year. We did that while having one of the longest injury lists in the competition. There were period this year when we had a single KPD playing. We lost players at bad times within games. We lost half of our settled KPD duo before the season started due to an incredibly rare set of circumstances. Did we have a single game all year where the best 22 where available?

You can read that as excuses if you like, but this was a tough year for us with injuries and circumstances.

Are we the finished product? No, and that is itself another positive. How many players do we have on the list that are past their prime? Maybe Ed, who didn’t play a game in the seniors all year. The group is still very young and growing together.

The group is gelling together with the game plan. We’ve got more cohesion in the group and depth emerging in multiple positions.

Oh, and the guy who we thought may never make it back from injury won the Coleman.

Sure, we missed finals. If that was your pass mark, then I guess it was a wasted season. But I feel like we are a hell of a lot closer to the finished product than we were 12 months ago. If we add another best 22 player via trade over the off season, pick up some talent in the draft and get back a few players from long term injuries*, then next year we could not only make finals, but actually have a shot at the flag.

*I’m tipping Marchbank to be our best recruit next year similar to Charlie this year.

By the standards I started the season with A win.

By the standards that we were promising by mid year. Failure

We fell off, whatever the reason, this needs to be addressed

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

first half of season we looked very good and it looked like we made signficcant in roads...

then second half came and we started looking more and more like previous years. our poor ball movement into f50 and general decision making around the ground doesnt look like its changed much at all.

overall we are bit better structurally and more experience and talent (gained cerra, hewett and charlie but lost jones).

Injuries have cruelled us again so its made things difficult for us again.

Overall I give us ~65% passmark for the year.

Failure.

Wasted a year where we had our best players in their primes.

Got a Coleman medal winning season from Charlie and an awesome year from Docherty and still had one of the longest injury lists in the league.

Fact is the team didn't show up against Gold Coast, Adelaide, St Kilda. They barely fired a shot vs Geelong, Brisbane, Freo in Perth. They turned off the gas vs Hawthorn and Port and led leads get eroded. They blew the last two matches. Two more goals and we make finals.

Last year we won 8 games and thought that was so bad we sacked the coach and launched a review. This year we added Cerra, Curnow, Hewitt, Young and a fit Docherty and managed 12 games and a slight ladder position boost.

It's not good enough and if they are serious they need another review. 11 years since we made the top 8. 22 years since we made the top 4. 7 years since we launched our '66 game rebuild'. The club is the laughing stock of the league, again.

Yep, it's a failure for me.
Genuine question - who of our best players is really in their prime? Cripps, Saad and Doc? MAYBE Weitering but I’d argue against that. Williams but he barely played. I think people under estimate the lack of experience in this side.

I’d grade us a C+. A pass but not much more. The + for finding Lewis Young, George Hewett and the Kennedy renaissance.

Failure - we didn’t meet our objectives of playing finals.

Success- player development, good system, finding out about players’ capabilities etc. We are on the path to where we want to be, and I’d imagine we will be letting go of some and picking up others. Some of our starting 22 are not premiership players- hopefully we move them on.

If 9th is a success to people stop watching the sport
Exactly.
Same if you 2nd , 3rd, 4th or 9th.
Premiership is the success.
Everything else is failure in this sport.
The overall season was vast improvement on the team from last seasons s**t show.
We showed we capable of anything really and no side in the league looks like we cannot overtake them in short space of time.

A premiership team is built over 3-5 years and I think this year provided us a massive amount of lessons and learnings. Getting to play 1 or 2 extra weeks, while good, wouldn't be the biggest step forward this year that we took.

I think from last year sacking a coach and having no idea where we were heading, to now be on a very clear and direct path up the ladder and to the top 4/top 2 with a list and talent the league is envious of is a great thing.

Failure - we didn’t meet our objectives of playing finals.

Success- player development, good system, finding out about players’ capabilities etc. We are on the path to where we want to be, and I’d imagine we will be letting go of some and picking up others. Some of our starting 22 are not premiership players- hopefully we move them on.
So if the bulldogs kicked 2 less goals today, the season would be a pass?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back