List Mgmt. 2022 Senior List - The Final TWO Spots

Remove this Banner Ad

No problem Ballenden nominating what he want's...
But is he worth to us, the extra premium? over the other players on offer? Not sure...
He isn't exactly setting the SANFL alight, being an ex AFL player...
He got selected for the SANFL team to play WA due to good form. If you look at his stats he has done well. He has had one bad game against an elite ruckman (O’Brien) and is kicking goals most times he plays. Last year he won the Lions VFL best and fairest. I think he has shown he is elite at that level

He got selected for the SANFL team to play WA due to good form. If you look at his stats he has done well. He has had one bad game against an elite ruckman (O’Brien) and is kicking goals most times he plays. Last year he won the Lions VFL best and fairest. I think he has shown he is elite at that level
End of the day to make it worthwhile he (or whoever) needs to be a better option for us than Cripps and SOS rucking when TDK and/or Pitto are out.

Doesn’t sit well with me. You have to earn your stripes first, he’s going to get another crack and you’re setting your own terms?
Pass.
Suggest it’s more tactical. A club wants to have better chance to secure him and using it to scare other suitors away.

Had one of the SANFL experts over on another forum explain this.

He's getting 30-35k to play for WWT.

The club also lined him up with a reasonable job on the side that pays him between 60-90k (let's say 75k) in a full time gig that enables him to meet his football commitments.

That means to go to an AFL club he's forfeiting an easy 100k. Without putting a price on his head he could be out of a job in six months with no security net like Josh Deluca was a couple years ago.

I agree with you and think it's a smart move on his part.
Shows he is smart. He will know which clubs are interested in him and he will know that he has a chance to get on a list on his terms. He spent a number of years on the Lions list, won a B&F for the reserves and every time he played seniors he acquitted himself well, but the Lions have depth at key positions and haven't blooded a lot of players over the last few years due to being in the window. He knows he can play at that level, the issue with him will be getting the right opportunity and I see him more as a key forward or defender (He won a B&F for his intercept marking) who can play in the ruck. His ruck skills are being competitive in the tap work, with strong around the ground marking, and a really good kick.

He will have discussed options for his future and will be setting terms so he goes to the right opportunity in which he can position himself for a long term future. He will know what clubs have promised him and want to ensure he doesn't go to a club that has no commitment to him. We used this tactic to get Jack Martin, so it is a well established route.

Right, I didn't realise that he'd nominated extra financial terms, just the extra year.
I guess it depends on how much he wants.
I thought the AFL closed the window on nominating terms after Newcombe manipulated his way to Dorks. Haven’t read about time in the contract, financial terms have certainly been curtailed/removed from any negotiations.

End of the day to make it worthwhile he (or whoever) needs to be a better option for us than Cripps and SOS rucking when TDK and/or Pitto are out.
Jack is good at it and has stated he loves the freedom to roam. His smarts are a super bonus around the ground. Really don’t want Cripps in there though.

Right, I didn't realise that he'd nominated extra financial terms, just the extra year.

I thought the AFL closed the window on nominating terms after Newcombe manipulated his way to Dorks. Haven’t read about time in the contract, financial terms have certainly been curtailed/removed from any negotiations.
Difference is this guy's been on a list.

Players who have not been on an AFL list are not permitted to nominate draft terms in the national draft, but the rules did not previously preclude them doing so in last year’s mid-season rookie draft.

At very least he would stiffen the defence in the 2s like Goddard did. Not sure if he is AFL quality

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone here have the tactical nous to geurilla vaccinate Jonesy with a blow dart?

Where does he live? Still have a bunch of sharp tipped air rifle slugs from the 80s I could juice up and ping at him with the sluggy.

They even have the little pretend feathers on the end of the slug to make it look like a tranq dart.

Jack is good at it and has stated he loves the freedom to roam. His smarts are a super bonus around the ground. Really don’t want Cripps in there though.
Jack is great there in bursts, especially against the other teams 2nd ruckmen, but if he were to play full games in there against ruckmen like Nankervis, Darcy, Big O, Natinui, Draper, Marshall etc there would be a good chance of injury and they would change tactics to punch the ball to wings etc. as they are physically at least 10cm taller than him and much heavier. We don't need a dominant ruckman, but we need someone who gives a good contest and can clog up space when the ball is in our defensive area.

Like what? That if he isn't prepared to come over and play for base rookie money he doesn't want it enough, so we won't take him even if best available?
I agree, a good leader is aware of their value and won't settle for less. It may backfire on him if nobody takes him, but none us is aware of what he is asking and what he has to give up to take an opportunity.

I'd like us to open up a 3rd spot as well, in case someone we like is still on the board at the end.

Like last year, if there is nobody we want at our 3rd pick we can pass, which I'm pretty sure means the player we put on the inactive list can be reactivated?

My preference would be:
1. KPD/Ruck - Connor Ballenden
2. KPF/Ruck - Wade Derksen
3. HBF/Wing - Massimo D'Ambrosio

I'm aware all three may be gone before our first pick, but stranger things have happened.

This will fill out our list nicely for the remainder of 2022 and fit recruiting needs for 2023 and beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back