VFLW 2023 Southern Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We kicked the last five goals against the reigning premiers.
Turns out the Bombers are a much worse team when they don't stack their team with AFLW-listed players. Who would have thought?

I just watched the replay. It was pretty comprehensive in the end. Hard to tell if the Saints are this good or the Bombers are just bad now. Darebin got absolutely destroyed by Casey, which makes last week a little less impressive.

Wrigley has looked really good the first two weeks. Ryan has been a huge improver on the opposite wing to Laing. For me, the real revelation has been Tessa Boyd in the backline, though. Looks like an AFLW player back there, the way she reads the play. A standout kicking and marking as well. Doesn't appear to have nominated for this draft, but if she keeps playing like she has the first two rounds, she'll end up back on a list (unless she doesn't want to, for whatever reason).

Hawthorn was listening to me complain about the Bombers using their AFLW-listed players. The Hawks rocked up to Moorabbin with 7 AFLW-listed players and at least another 7 who have previously been on AFLW lists. At least, in this case, almost all of the AFLWers were developing players. Fair question as to why none of St Kilda's developing players were out there. I get not wanting to risk anybody important, but getting some games into players that might struggle to get one at AFLW level seems like it might be good for development.

The Hawks handled the conditions much better. I believe the Saints only scored with the breeze in the first and third quarters. Really struggled to move the ball forward in the second and fourth quarters. The better team on the day clearly won. Hopefully things go better next week against the Cats.

Hawthorn was listening to me complain about the Bombers using their AFLW-listed players. The Hawks rocked up to Moorabbin with 7 AFLW-listed players and at least another 7 who have previously been on AFLW lists. At least, in this case, almost all of the AFLWers were developing players. Fair question as to why none of St Kilda's developing players were out there. I get not wanting to risk anybody important, but getting some games into players that might struggle to get one at AFLW level seems like it might be good for development.

The Hawks handled the conditions much better. I believe the Saints only scored with the breeze in the first and third quarters. Really struggled to move the ball forward in the second and fourth quarters. The better team on the day clearly won. Hopefully things go better next week against the Cats.

As soon as I saw the score I thought "ah yeah, how many AFLW players did the Hawks field?". Good experience for our Southern Saints though. I would've thought Ty Smith would be good to get some time there coming back from a long break. And I want to know where Matin will end up.

We might be doing the honourable things, but the record books will show that the premierships are being won by the clubs fielding AFLW players. Pricks win cups.

As soon as I saw the score I thought "ah yeah, how many AFLW players did the Hawks field?". Good experience for our Southern Saints though. I would've thought Ty Smith would be good to get some time there coming back from a long break. And I want to know where Matin will end up.

We might be doing the honourable things, but the record books will show that the premierships are being won by the clubs fielding AFLW players. Pricks win cups.
It's a development league, so I don't see any problem with the Hawks playing somebody like Baskaran. Perkins is the one that isn't like the others, but she's a fringe AFLW player. The Bombers situation last year had the added layer of everybody else pulling their listed players out of the comp and them leaving theirs in. This isn't that.

Different clubs seem to be taking different approaches to the way their VFLW teams are being played. I could be wrong, but I think the Saints are the only aligned club that are using zero AFLW-listed players. I don't believe that even Pinchin has played.

That said, there aren't as many players they should be getting games into as I thought. Caitlin Matthews is one that might not get much of a look-in at AFLW level. Developing players like Anderson or Richards might benefit, same with players returning from injury (Kelly, Smith). If the club has other plans, I'm not that concerned. It is a little weird tuning in to watch an entire list of VFLW Saints. Boyd is a lot of fun to watch, though.

Big year from Winnie, taking out the B&F

361923114_305792625150590_3553444696866136140_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back