Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Why the possbile last season?
We're hearing that AFL.com.au will end up streaming/calling all VFLW games next year. Means they'll poach our callers, and there's no point in trying to double up all season long.

In any event, if you're coming to the game today, bring your FM Radio so you can listen along on 89.1 FM

Attachments

• Today is Grand Final Day.jpg
    Today is Grand Final Day.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 39

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
This umpiring is pathetic. Never seen so many pushes in the back no paid, holding the ball not paid, diving on it not paid, leading with the head paid. Bombers doing whatever they want, umpires in their pockets. That Nanscawen is #1 ducker.

Didn't make it count that quarter. Bombers too quick and big up forward. Our entries always going too wide. We picking up, going to be tough from here.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wonder what Dale thinks of this pathetic umpiring, she is a former ump!

Ploughing through our back, no free. 5 metre kick, that's a mark. These umps, this is paper bags of cash bad.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Game over unfortunately. But what a great season for the Saints.

Capsalis and Buchan would've been handy draftees. They have some good attributes to step up. Shame we couldn't pick up more.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
The umps started umpiring correctly in the last once the game was over, funny that 💰

We got it in there plenty, inside 50s 33-22, nearly all of ours were wide. But the Bombers are very quick and agile to make it count. I wonder how they would've gone without their AFLW players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed but still proud of the girls. Essendon fielded their AFLW side all year, not against the rules but against the spirit of the competition for sure. It's a win but I'm not sure how sweet it'll feel for them.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Disappointed but still proud of the girls. Essendon fielded their AFLW side all year, not against the rules but against the spirit of the competition for sure. It's a win but I'm not sure how sweet it'll feel for them.

The Bombers don't care, their morals are so off base it's not funny.

In pre-match Dale said we develop players in the VFLW, that's what we do. We've fielded one or two AFLW players throughout the season to fill in, but we don't recruit them to play VFLW.

A team has 16 players on the field, and of those the Bombers fielded nine AFLW players today. It's a joke. Fact is these days every premiership team has to cheat in some way to get there. Salary cap, drugs, draft picks, or fielding a team from the grade above.

Feb 21, 2004
AFL Club
St Kilda
Amazing effort from the girls to make it, had to win 3 finals and we were only one of two sides to draw with Essendon during the year

Agree with everything above, fielding half their AFLW side doesnt make for an even playing field.

I have to wonder though....sigh..when was the last time a senior side went goalless in a Grand Final?

SaintJunior

All Australian
Mar 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I hate Essendon with a passion but to say they have fielded an AFLW team all year and to say it is not in the spirit of things is not right.

All of their players started the season as VFLW players , they were not signed AFLW players they did a full pre season as VFLW players and were entitled to play.

No different that Stuart and Jolfiee playing .

The issue is the VFLW was a dogs breakfast , with the expansion sides coming in VFlW players were signed during the season as AFLW players .

We were the beneficiaries last week as the Hawks lost a heap of players to both their AFLW team and other expansion sides .

The Hawks decided not to risk their players, Essendon decided to keep them in and paid the penalty with what looks like a knee injury to one iof the players they signed .

I would understand the sentiments if Essendon has played last AFLW season and roles out that team all year but that is not the case.

I coach in this space and the VFLW landscape has been crazy this year . I have players at five different VFLW clubs and speak with the coaches regularly and there is no consistency across the board from week to week in the way AFLW aligned sides select their players .

Shattered for the girls and Dale who I have had a bit to do with and a better person you could not wish to meet .

Was ir when we weee with Casey in the mens that we refused to release any AFL players for a final series ?

I hate Essendon with a passion but to say they have fielded an AFLW team all year and to say it is not in the spirit of things is not right.

All of their players started the season as VFLW players , they were not signed AFLW players they did a full pre season as VFLW players and were entitled to play.

No different that Stuart and Jolfiee playing .

The issue is the VFLW was a dogs breakfast , with the expansion sides coming in VFlW players were signed during the season as AFLW players .

We were the beneficiaries last week as the Hawks lost a heap of players to both their AFLW team and other expansion sides .

The Hawks decided not to risk their players, Essendon decided to keep them in and paid the penalty with what looks like a knee injury to one iof the players they signed .

I would understand the sentiments if Essendon has played last AFLW season and roles out that team all year but that is not the case.

I coach in this space and the VFLW landscape has been crazy this year . I have players at five different VFLW clubs and speak with the coaches regularly and there is no consistency across the board from week to week in the way AFLW aligned sides select their players .

Shattered for the girls and Dale who I have had a bit to do with and a better person you could not wish to meet .

Was ir when we weee with Casey in the mens that we refused to release any AFL players for a final series ?
I think you're missing the point. Just because they aren't officially AFLW players doesn't mean they aren't of AFLW standard. And it's easy to say they had none when Essendon isn't in the competition yet.

Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
They knew all the other teams were pulling their players out of the comp to prepare for the next AFLW season and decided they'd keep all theirs in. That's questionable to start with, but we're also talking about a team that was already stacked with borderline AFLW talent since they had the carrot of AFLW list spots to dangle when they were building their list.

'Technically legal' is the most charitable way I'd describe their decision to play their listed players.

Back