• Richmond Tigers

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 15 1.1%
  • Port Power

Votes: 9 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn, Collingwood, North & Adelaide are the 4 worst lists pretty comfortably imo

Strange to see some of those names down the bottom

However Gold Coast are always likely to self implode and finish last despite their list starting to come together

I'm curious to see how Hawthorn's older players respond in 2022 after the club actively shopped them around during trade week.
They all happily stayed and had no interest in leaving

Most have showed up to the first day of 1-4 years returning when they didn't have to.

Has been no reports of any issues and no reason to expect any.

They all happily stayed and had no interest in leaving

Most have showed up to the first day of 1-4 years returning when they didn't have to.

Has been no reports of any issues and no reason to expect any.

But they were actively shopped. The players had no interest in leaving - the club/new coach did. There is a big difference.

But they were actively shopped. The players had no interest in leaving - the club/new coach did. There is a big difference.
We were open to offers, the players didn't want to leave. We didn't try to force them out.

If they were angry they would have left

If they were angry after it would have come out

If they were angry they would not have shown up early to pre season

Unless something changes i see no reason to expect any issues

It's really tough to predict.

I think North are building something special. I can see them winning a flag in 5 years. But they are also super young with little margin for error. Greenwood helps balance out Cunnington's absence for some time. But lose Goldy or any other important mature body and they will struggle due to youth. Can see them winning 5-10 games, quite a bit of variance.

Gold Coast losing Greenwood is terrible. A few injuries and they are seriously up against it. Another club that has the talent but needs the maturity.

Adelaide - probably a more even spread of mature players but they've bounced between all defensive and no attack in year 1 of Nicks and all attack no defending last year. Tex suspended. Talls very light on. A chance.

Freo - I like what they're building as well but if Mundy lost a step or got injured, Fyfe miles behind due to injury and no Cerra they're suddenly incredibly light on in the engine room. That spells trouble.

Collingwood have to be considered but I think they'll bounce back a bit. Just depends how deep the coach wants to cut things back.

Hawthorn - seems unlikely to me. I think they shopped the veterans because they are confident they've done a lot of the hard work of the rebuild in turning around the health of the list. They still need talent, and still need draft picks. But I reckon Sam Mitchell's thinking this is a list that's actually getting closer to finals if things work out well and whilst he'd never admit it I reckon he'd prefer to start a little lower down the draft order in year 1, grab a star and then be on his way.

We were open to offers, the players didn't want to leave. We didn't try to force them out.

Hawthorn weren't just passive onlookers in trade week, they were certainly active participants in talks. Having a deal with GWS all but done for Breust is getting pretty close to forcing him out. Wingard probably not far behind that too.

You can stay for family and lifestyle reasons and still be upset.

As for training - if you're pretty much stuck in Victoria why wouldn't you train with your team mates rather than run laps by yourself, that means little.

If things go smoothly for the Hawks it's not an issue, but if the season is bumpy and it gets to round 16 or something like that and it's clear finals aren't an option then journos will push the trades story. And it will be in Hawthorn's best interest to shop them again. Say you're Chad Wingard and the team is 5-11 and your manager has taken calls from contending clubs there's not a lot for him to play for. I can see him shutting things down with a bit of hamstring tightness in late July.

Whether that actually bothers Hawthorn is a different question. I think they're fine heading in to the season, these guys are professionals, they aren't throwing the toys out of the cot in summer. But there's a chance things get bumpy along the way.

Would be surprised if we finished last. Actually expect us to be pushing up as opposed to falling.
I really like the way the Suns backline came together last year with Powell, Lemmens combining well with Ballard, Collins etc. Those guys fought hard all year.

Witts is obviously important for the midfield but unless Rowell jumps right up again it's Touk and then a fair gap to serviceable or young players. There's now at least a decent number of them - the healthiest version of the Suns midfield is solid all around, but the best case is solid and the worst case isn't. And Greenwood was part of raising the ceiling and maybe more importantly the floor.

And the forward line looks like a mess. Ainsworth fighting for his spot in the side. Flanders can't get going. Rankine was awful. Poor Ben King has no help, is Mabs Chol really the answer? Or Luko forward?

It's just really hard to trust the Suns to have the right role players and structures in place that see the young talent start to thrive. It really should happen this year and I don't mean to be so negative or mean but the sort of slop that Rankine served up last year and Rowell being a shadow of his former self just leaves an awful awful taste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a world with no injuries Im tipping GC or Pies. A few key injuries and it could even be the bombers.. Carlton wouldn't want to lose any more key backmen, they could fall apart pretty quickly if the wrong guy pulls a hammy early. North pretty safe I reckon.

The players definitely wanted to stay.. but the club was very willing for them to go . Wingard was on social media saying he would not go. Can't recall other players for other clubs doing this in trade week , but I could be wrong.
Bruest at 31 - both clubs involved would have accepted the Giants pick 13 proposal. Didn't Hawks get Day at 13 a couple of seasons ago??
Other players 28+ were open for offers but from all reports very little interest.

You use the word angry. Might feel more upset or undervalued. Be interesting how it plays out next season.

The players definitely wanted to stay.. but the club was very willing for them to go . Wingard was on social media saying he would not go. Can't recall other players for other clubs doing this in trade week , but I could be wrong.
Bruest at 31 - both clubs involved would have accepted the Giants pick 13 proposal. Didn't Hawks get Day at 13 a couple of seasons ago??
Other players 28+ were open for offers but from all reports very little interest.

You use the word angry. Might feel more upset or undervalued. Be interesting how it plays out next season.
Wingard was responding to all the media speculation just shutting it down.

It is pretty simple really, until i hear about some unrest from players i am going to believe it isn't there. We didn't try to force anyone out (Treloar situation)

We were clear throughout we were open to anything that would improve our list, we did not try to strongarm anyone out. Everyone seems content with what happened except a few oppo supporters.

Wingard was responding to all the media speculation just shutting it down.

It is pretty simple really, until i hear about some unrest from players i am going to believe it isn't there. We didn't try to force anyone out (Treloar situation)

We were clear throughout we were open to anything that would improve our list, we did not try to strongarm anyone out. Everyone seems content with what happened except a few oppo supporters.

Time will tell.
The Tom Scully and Jon Patton recruiting turned out to be mistakes which impacted the culture of the group in a big way . It will be interesting to see if the shopping around of the senior players is a mistake that will have a cultural impact as well. :think:

Time will tell.
The Tom Scully and Jon Patton recruiting turned out to be mistakes which impacted the culture of the group in a big way . It will be interesting to see if the shopping around of the senior players is a mistake that will have a cultural impact as well. :think:
How did it impact the culture of the group lmfao? What?

What happened with Scully?

Patton was found out to be a flog and was booted out, what did that do to the 'culture of the group'

Patton was found out to be a flog and was booted out, what did that do to the 'culture of the group'

Gary Buckenara's Hawthorn List Analysis from last month. Gather you have read it.
"Two cases Tom Scully and Jon Patton turned out to be big mistakes which impacted the group in a big way - culture in particular. '

Gary Buckenara's Hawthorn List Analysis from last month. Gather you have read it.
"Two cases Tom Scully and Jon Patton turned out to be big mistakes which impacted the group in a big way - culture in particular. '
So an opinion from someone who isn't at the club commenting on the culture of the club?

I am convinced

Time will tell.

Those two and the man at the forefront of those acquisitions (Clarkson) are all gone.

Change is as good as a holiday.

Denver Grainger Barrass went on record saying that under Mitchell, Box Hill would feel like they lost if they didn't kick 20 goals a game. Our game plan next year is going to be a completely different animal. It's part of the reason why Hawthorn fans might seem a bit more optimistic that those suggesting we could be wooden spooners.
If our defence stays solid but the attack lifts a few gears you COULD see a Western Bulldogs style turnaround when Beveridge took over. COULD. I'm not predicting it, but I'm also thinking it's about as likely as an 18th placed position come seasons end in 2022. Happy to fall in the middle and say we'll finish around 12th with 9 wins.

So an opinion from someone who isn't at the club commenting on the culture of the club?

I am convinced

I am convinced

But you've said in reference to the potential cultural or emotional damage of shopping around of senior players, that everyone's seems content except a few opposition supporters.

Gary Buckenara is a Hawthorn Hall Of Famer , premiership player and Hawthorn team of the Century past champion. He obviously loves the club.
You would think he would have a smidge more inside knowledge than you or I .

Those two and the man at the forefront of those acquisitions (Clarkson) are all gone.

Change is as good as a holiday.

Denver Grainger Barrass went on record saying that under Mitchell, Box Hill would feel like they lost if they didn't kick 20 goals a game. Our game plan next year is going to be a completely different animal. It's part of the reason why Hawthorn fans might seem a bit more optimistic that those suggesting we could be wooden spooners.
If our defence stays solid but the attack lifts a few gears you COULD see a Western Bulldogs style turnaround when Beveridge took over. COULD. I'm not predicting it, but I'm also thinking it's about as likely as an 18th placed position come seasons end in 2022. Happy to fall in the middle and say we'll finish around 12th with 9 wins.

Not outrageous prediction 12th. But to Have the Hawks grouped on this poll with half a dozen other sides for the spoon is also not outrageous either.

Back