• Richmond Tigers

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Essendon

Votes: 15 1.1%
  • Port Power

Votes: 9 0.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But you've said in reference to the potential cultural or emotional damage of shopping around of senior players, that everyone's seems content except a few opposition supporters.

Gary Buckenara is a Hawthorn Hall Of Famer , premiership player and Hawthorn team of the Century past champion. He obviously loves the club.
You would think he would have a smidge more inside knowledge than you or I .
Right so those two came in and caused massive cultural issues at the club, were big mistakes….

Yet only Gary Buckenara knows about it.

Despite these cultural issues no players wanted to leave

Despite these cultural issues no one in the media is reporting it

Gary Buckenara just knows more than anyone else because of a passing comment in an off season list analysis’s that he probably cranked out in 20 minutes like he would have with every other clubs.

Right so those two came in and caused massive cultural issues at the club, were big mistakes….

Yet only Gary Buckenara knows about it.

Despite these cultural issues no players wanted to leave

Despite these cultural issues no one in the media is reporting it

Gary Buckenara just knows more than anyone else because of a passing comment in an off season list analysis’s that he probably cranked out in 20 minutes like he would have with every other clubs.
Would have thought his opinion in regards to comments about Hawthorn surely carry more weight than other journalists . Jordan Lewis who played and bled and loves the club likewise.

Two teams that could either challenge for a top 8 spot or completely bomb out and win the spoon are Hawthorn and West Coast. West Coast in particular were very ordinary in the second half of the year. Their lows are up there with the worst teams.

Hawthorn could be a sneaky chance because I believe they damaged their culture somewhat over the last year. Not too dissimilar to Collingwood last off-season (though obviously on a minor scale compared to Collingwood). The handling of Clarkson's exit, shopping senior players around etc. Though their youth aren't as good as the other teams around them, they have a good enough list to beat the top teams because of their senior players. Let's see if they have the motivation to play for the club when things get tough.

Two teams that could either challenge for a top 8 spot or completely bomb out and win the spoon are Hawthorn and West Coast. West Coast in particular were very ordinary in the second half of the year. Their lows are up there with the worst teams.

Hawthorn could be a sneaky chance because I believe they damaged their culture somewhat over the last year. Not too dissimilar to Collingwood last off-season (though obviously on a minor scale compared to Collingwood). The handling of Clarkson's exit, shopping senior players around etc. Though their youth aren't as good as the other teams around them, they have a good enough list to beat the top teams because of their senior players. Let's see if they have the motivation to play for the club when things get tough.
Personally have both these clubs bottom 6. But if both are to do surprisingly better, it will be their senior core that does it. For the Hawks, damaged their culture. I would tend to agree, but let's see how it pans out!

Personally have both these clubs bottom 6. But if both are to do surprisingly better, it will be their senior core that does it. For the Hawks, damaged their culture. I would tend to agree, but let's see how it pans out!
If the players are off song due to how things played out during trade week, that says more about the players than it does about the club. Mitchell has stated he had been candid to the players about his intentions. The concept of shopping around players is not a foreign one. I very much doubt there will be any residual resentment given these guys are well remunerated and have achieved the ultimate success at the club. They would understand the club owes them nothing.

I am not sure about the Suns as a lot of their younger players are entering their third and fourth years and those are the years where we can begin to expect real improvement from them. Losing Greenwood hurts but there is a lot to like about the Suns list.

They could win the spoon but it also would not surprise me one bit if they were fighting for a position in the 8 in 2022 as well.
Add in a potential mid table finish and you can’t be wrong 😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were open to offers, the players didn't want to leave. We didn't try to force them out.

If they were angry they would have left

If they were angry after it would have come out

If they were angry they would not have shown up early to pre season

Unless something changes i see no reason to expect any issues
Time will tell but you could at least concede it wouldn’t have made them overly happy and excited about a new coach. Hawks supporters are hoping it fires them up but I suspect if the losses come early, senior players will focus more on themselves. Bottom three with crows and pies.

You guys pretty much chose to be sh*t for a shortish period as part of a full rebuild ... can’t see you getting a PP in such circumstances
Nah, we didn't. We were s**t the season before last. We decided that we'd rather be s**t with young players than older players so shipped a fair few of the deadwood out. Not saying that we deserve a PP, but we were going to be s**t last season regardless of whether we chose to rebuild or not.

If the players are off song due to how things played out during trade week, that says more about the players than it does about the club. Mitchell has stated he had been candid to the players about his intentions. The concept of shopping around players is not a foreign one. I very much doubt there will be any residual resentment given these guys are well remunerated and have achieved the ultimate success at the club. They would understand the club owes them nothing.
Time will tell but you could at least concede it wouldn’t have made them overly happy and excited about a new coach. Hawks supporters are hoping it fires them up but I suspect if the losses come early, senior players will focus more on themselves. Bottom three with crows and pies.

At least concede ? At a minimum you would think that would be a reasonable assumption.

Agreed that Hawk young talent is slightly under-rated, and looks more promising than that at Collingwood. Pies supporters obviously may disagree.

At least concede ? At a minimum you would think that would be a reasonable assumption.

Agreed that Hawk young talent is slightly under-rated, and looks more promising than that at Collingwood. Pies supporters obviously may disagree.
I am a pies supporter, a tough year or two looms. I don’t think there is any early GC suns/Fitzroy type teams this year. I also thought it was clearly implied that I think it is a reasonable assumption, it is delusional hawks supporters who don’t.

I am a pies supporter, a tough year or two looms. I don’t think there is any early GC suns/Fitzroy type teams this year. I also thought it was clearly implied that I think it is a reasonable assumption, it is delusional hawks supporters who don’t.
Agree with everything said .
Pies in for a couple of lean years .
Like this year and 76 [ going back a while] when Pies won the spoon under Weideman - don't see any really un-competitive sides .Spooner could win 5 or 6 games :thumbsu:
Your reasonable assumption was clear to me . The supporters whom you refer ............far less so.

Hawks young talent is slightly under-rated.

DGB, Scrimshaw, Jiath, Kosi and Day are all talented

Who have Collingwood got under 25?
Nobody.

Add Moore and Reeves and it covers every line on the ground (aside from the midfield that we should address in this years draft). That's partly why we expect to perform better than a spoon contender.

I really like the way the Suns backline came together last year with Powell, Lemmens combining well with Ballard, Collins etc. Those guys fought hard all year.

Witts is obviously important for the midfield but unless Rowell jumps right up again it's Touk and then a fair gap to serviceable or young players. There's now at least a decent number of them - the healthiest version of the Suns midfield is solid all around, but the best case is solid and the worst case isn't. And Greenwood was part of raising the ceiling and maybe more importantly the floor.

And the forward line looks like a mess. Ainsworth fighting for his spot in the side. Flanders can't get going. Rankine was awful. Poor Ben King has no help, is Mabs Chol really the answer? Or Luko forward?

It's just really hard to trust the Suns to have the right role players and structures in place that see the young talent start to thrive. It really should happen this year and I don't mean to be so negative or mean but the sort of slop that Rankine served up last year and Rowell being a shadow of his former self just leaves an awful awful taste.
Interesting summation and I definitely agree with some points and not with others.

Firstly, I agree with the backline being really solid and is probably our best feature of this team. Ballard, Collins, Lemmens, Powell are a great nucleus in defence, then you have the likes of Markov, Farrar, Budarick, who can come in and play those rebounding roles off HB. Our defence held up quite well while facing a lot of inside 50's. Also add in Day there to take another big key forward which should allow Ballard to play a more intercepting role.

Our midfield is fine. It isn't outstanding by any stretch, but it is not a wasteland either. Miller is a great player and hopefully come again with another outstanding year. I think Rowell will be fine, give him a full injury-free pre-season and he should be good to go for 2022. Our best run of games (wins against GWS, Richmond & Carlton) came when Greenwood wasn't in the side (got injured early in the GWS game from memory). He will be a loss, but I don't think him going is the end of the Suns midfield group, however, he should have never been let go.

Fiorini came in his place and had a good 2nd half of 2021, Swallow is a constant, never will be a star but has that physicality that Greenwood has around the contest, he will just play more midfield instead of on a flank, and Anderson who was voted joint best young player by the AFLCA will have another year of development under him and should add consistency, early in the year he would have been leading our BnF. Then you have the likes of Bowes and Weller who are capable of going through the middle to round out the midfield.

A fit Witts also makes all the difference, instead of having Burgess just getting belted non-stop, we may actually win a few hit outs to advantage, I honestly think we win a few more games (Adel, St Kilda) if Witts is fit and doesn't let Ryder and O'Brian run their own race late in games.

Forward line makeup will be interesting, King needs help no doubt. Corbett provided a good foil and can kick goals (4 against the Pies), but spent big portions of the season injured/underdone. Chol will play bits up there as a 2nd ruck as well. The wildcard is Lukosius who will play forward this year, can he have an impact on games and kick 35+ goals as a foil to King? If he can that will lead to us winning a few more games.

Statistically for a decent stretch of the year Ainsworth was putting up some good numbers as an undersized lead-up forward, his season wasn't a disaster, but needs to be more consistent. No defending Rankine, he had a stinker of a year, and hopefully kicks up a gear this year. Sexton is really hot and cold, but if he isn't kicking goals, he isn't doing much else. Holman was probably our best performed small forward from the amount of pressure he put out, but his season ended early from a ruptured bowel. Eli Hollands will play a fair bit forward this year and will be exciting to watch, as well as Jeffery who kicked 9 in a game in the VFL last year, knows where the sticks are as well. But forward is probably the place we need the most work.

Haha, this turned into a bit of a rant, hopefully, you stuck with me and enjoyed a Suns supporters POV on our list.

Not sure how the Kangas aren't getting chosen more? Do they improve that much next season?

They improved a lot from the start to the end of the season, look to have a decent coach and gameplan.

But I suspect the high votes for Hawthorn and Pies are because many posters want to see them suffer. I voted for the Hawks ;)

Back