News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

If you call analyzing past decisions based on what actually happens post the decision, then yes revisionist stuff.

We re-contract him in 2018... with full knowledge of his history of injuries/concussions etc. He had already had 7 concussions when we re-contracted him.

He then plays his best season for us in 2018 with 13 games, most marks and most possessions etc etc.

Paddy then gets one more knock in the pre-season of 2019... then we delist him.

If what you are saying is true.... why did we re-contract him in 2018 then. We knew everything that you detail prior to that new contract being handed out.
The period where Paddy couldn't get out of bed or go to the shops came after that last knock in 2019.

Here's some stuff from May 2019

This is really bad stuff that followed on from that last concussion which occurred in a pre season game at Ballarat in March 2019. What shocked everyone that day was just how innocuous the bump was that lead to him being subbed off and having his football future seriously in doubt.

0TPGwd4.gif

It was his eigth concussion since 2014.

So you say "Paddy then gets one more knock in the pre-season of 2019... then we delist him" but I don't think that really tells the story. Prior to 2019 the only real concern was the number of concussions and the need to perhaps change his style a little.

After March 2019 things turned quite dark indeed.

Tell me again who wanted him to continue after they saw that forlorn figure sitting on a bench with Lethlean as his teammates trained?

788ec7c15f55f92bd682fecd563b9424

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
The period where Paddy couldn't get out of bed or go to the shops came after that last knock in 2019.

Here's some stuff from May 2019

This is really bad stuff that followed on from that last concussion which occurred in a pre season game at Ballarat in March 2019. What shocked everyone that day was just how innocuous the bump was that lead to him being subbed off and having his football future seriously in doubt.

0TPGwd4.gif

It was his eigth concussion since 2014.

So you say "Paddy then gets one more knock in the pre-season of 2019... then we delist him" but I don't think that really tells the story. Prior to 2019 the only real concern was the number of concussions and the need to perhaps change his style a little.

After March 2019 things turned quite dark indeed.

Tell me again who wanted him to continue after they saw that forlorn figure sitting on a bench with Lethlean as his teammates trained?

I don't think you understand where I am coming from.

It gets me to the core when you see these videos of how much of a passionate footballer and a great person Paddy is.

Never a bad word to say about St Kilda, always respectful in what he says. Always concerned for his teammates welfare, his team and the fans.

I am saying this from the fact that I wish he was happy, healthy and still playing for St Kilda.

I don't think you understand where I am coming from.

It gets me to the core when you see these videos of how much of a passionate footballer and a great person Paddy is.

Never a bad word to say about St Kilda, always respectful in what he says. Always concerned for his teammates welfare, his team and the fans.

I am saying this from the fact that I wish he was happy, healthy and still playing for St Kilda.

No one loved Paddy, or cheered for him more than me. Ask my mates. I desperately wanted him to succeed and to find a way to play on after each concussion.

I was trying to answer your query as to why we cut him after the 2019 knock when we’d re-signed him in 2018 after his other knocks

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
And some are suggesting we give Hannebery another year next year lol crazy stuff
It's because four years down the track he's still what we need. If he takes a minimum wage-type deal and the docs think he is over his issues I can understand why you'd give him another year, we've invested this much already so it would only be a small extra investment for potentially a decent reward.

Big picture is that Paddy's concussions are a ticking time bomb and the club had to extricate itself from the ongoing liability. They should have asked for draft compo, but they did the right thing letting him go. Still hurts but.
Yep, I can’t see that the club did the wrong thing letting him go.

It was the drafting of him where they mucked up.
( And that is not about Paddy, or the guy he appears to be, more about the type of player we drafted.)

Anyway, it’s been done to death. Bad decision we’ll regret for years.

It's because four years down the track he's still what we need. If he takes a minimum wage-type deal and the docs think he is over his issues I can understand why you'd give him another year, we've invested this much already so it would only be a small extra investment for potentially a decent reward.
Exactly, not to mention this was being discussed after he came back and was in our bests. Be stupid to not give him a rookie deal if that form continued, and obviously if it didn't or he had another injury that opinion surely changes, as it did for me. You hold out hope that he is over his injuries because he's shown he can still contribute when he plays, but yeah, obviously if he continues to not be able to get on the park then there's no logic in keeping him on the list.

Exactly, not to mention this was being discussed after he came back and was in our bests. Be stupid to not give him a rookie deal if that form continued, and obviously if it didn't or he had another injury that opinion surely changes, as it did for me. You hold out hope that he is over his injuries because he's shown he can still contribute when he plays, but yeah, obviously if he continues to not be able to get on the park then there's no logic in keeping him on the list.

If he's there and we are needing wins the temptation is to play him when bringing in a kid is the better choice. He averages 3 games a year these days. There is nothing to suggest he can string 2 games together without breaking down. I'd rather keep Bytel. At least you know in 5 years we might have a gun.

If he's there and we are needing wins the temptation is to play him when bringing in a kid is the better choice. He averages 3 games a year these days. There is nothing to suggest he can string 2 games together without breaking down. I'd rather keep Bytel. At least you know in 5 years we might have a gun.
Yeah, I explained what I thought if he couldn't get on the park consistently. It would be a 1 year deal on minimum contract if he was able to play out the rest of the year and contribute. Hardly breaking the bank.

Yeah, I explained what I thought if he couldn't get on the park consistently. It would be a 1 year deal on minimum contract if he was able to play out the rest of the year and contribute. Hardly breaking the bank.

I just can't see the point. He had to be subbed out again and didn't get through on the weekend. Time to just close the door on it now.

I just can't see the point. He had to be subbed out again and didn't get through on the weekend. Time to just close the door on it now.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
A lot of our supporters seem to have a tendency to set ourselves up to get outraged by every decision the club makes.

First it was "don't re-sign Ratts" when he was clearly getting re-signed. Now over on the trade board it's "we missed De Goey what a fail" but he was never coming to our club.

This Hannebery situation is the same, it's easy to say "cut him loose it's done" but for a small extra investment we could finally get some reward. If he's keeping a kid out of the team it's because he is better than them. He's still better than nearly everyone on our list.

I reckon for all the decisions that get belittled on here quite a few actually turn out to be right.

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
A lot of our supporters seem to have a tendency to set ourselves up to get outraged by every decision the club makes.

First it was "don't re-sign Ratts" when he was clearly getting re-signed. Now over on the trade board it's "we missed De Goey what a fail" but he was never coming to our club.

This Hannebery situation is the same, it's easy to say "cut him loose it's done" but for a small extra investment we could finally get some reward. If he's keeping a kid out of the team it's because he is better than them. He's still better than nearly everyone on our list.

I reckon for all the decisions that get belittled on here quite a few actually turn out to be right.

So its the blame the supporters for the current situation of the club thread.

We didn't choose to pack up our bags and move down to a surburban street in Seaford.

We didn't choose to let our best performed coach in the last 50 years go to a club in Perth.

We didn't choose to trade all our decent leaders away for draft picks.

Mark my words, the only good thing about this club is the supporters themselves. We stand by the club through thick and thin, the wins and loses, the highs and the lows. You can't say that about the coaching staff, employees etc... once they go what is left behind ... US.

We are all this club has at the end of the day and we expect better.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
So its the blame the supporters for the current situation of the club thread.

We didn't choose to pack up our bags and move down to a surburban street in Seaford.

We didn't choose to let our best performed coach in the last 50 years go to a club in Perth.

We didn't choose to trade all our decent leaders away for draft picks.

Mark my words, the only good thing about this club is the supporters themselves. We stand by the club through thick and thin, the wins and loses, the highs and the lows. You can't say that about the coaching staff, employees etc... once they go what is left behind ... US.

We are all this club has at the end of the day and we expect better.

I absolutely agree, I'm not saying anything is the fault of the supporters. I just think we over-dramatise some decisions, like if Hannebery signs a one year deal it will be made into this huge failure of the club when it's really not a big deal.

He's had 5 years of playing 3 games a year or what ever it is. He's over 30 and all of a sudden you think he's going to become resilient? Honestly he takes medical costs, experience away from a kid etc. Even the fact that he's always broken down is kind of a downer.

He might come good and you have to take a calculated risk. To me there is more negatives than positives in holding on to him. He's not doing a Paddy McCartin. What belittled ideas?

I absolutely agree, I'm not saying anything is the fault of the supporters. I just think we over-dramatise some decisions, like if Hannebery signs a one year deal it will be made into this huge failure of the club when it's really not a big deal.

It would just be a dumb decision it won't be catastrophic. I'd rather persist with Leo Connolly, Bytel or another fringe player.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

Reminds me of last year when there were a lot of calls to get rid of Seb because he would keep Byrnes and Bytel out of the side. Thankfully the list managers didn't subscribe to that theory.

If we think we are on top of his body, there is no harm giving him a 1 year rookie deal. We have seen he still has the skills and ability at AFL level. As you said, if he plays instead of a kid next year then it is because he is a better player. And if they can't get a game in front of a washed up, one legged Hanners then maybe the kids aren't as good as we think they are .

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Reminds me of last year when there were a lot of calls to get rid of Seb because he would keep Byrnes and Bytel out of the side. Thankfully the list managers didn't subscribe to that theory.

If we think we are on top of his body, there is no harm giving him a 1 year rookie deal. We have seen he still has the skills and ability at AFL level. As you said, if he plays instead of a kid next year then it is because he is a better player. And if they can't get a game in front of a washed up, one legged Hanners then maybe the kids aren't as good as we think they are .

Also reminds me of the 1 year deal handed to Dean Kent after an awful season based on one game in round 21.

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
No matter how many times you repeat it, contracts don't get handed out based off 1 game.

Dean Kents 2021 - ENTIRE SEASON

GameOpponentRound ResultNumberKicksMarksHandballsDisposalsGoalsPoints
92Brisbane Lions17W25763101
93Port Adelaide18L25949181
94West Coast19L25974132
95Carlton20L25647131
96Sydney21W251273153
97Geelong22L25535101
98Fremantle23W25849172

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes those are Kent's stats from last year.

I'm glad we agree on something.

I also understand it takes time for the list managers to discuss the terms to be included in the contract and then present the players manager with the contract for feedback from both parties. The contract must then be signed by both parties.

Yes, you are correct the contract period takes time. Sometimes up to a year before both parties agree to sign.

But to say that the contracts can't be influenced by a players performance in one game (especially when the season is done and dusted) is the point which I am getting at.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm glad we agree on something.

I also understand it takes time for the list managers to discuss the terms to be included in the contract and then present the players manager with the contract for feedback from both parties. The contract must then be signed by both parties.

Yes, you are correct the contract period takes time. Sometimes up to a year before both parties agree to sign.

But to say that the contracts can't be influenced by a players performance in one game (especially when the season is done and dusted) is the point which I am getting at.
You keep stating he got awarded a contract based off 1 game. That wouldn't be correct.

We ended up choosing to keep Kent over Lonie as a depth small forward. Would his performance been factoring in when making this decision - of course it would have. All their performances - good and bad - would have been considered. But he didn't walk off the field in rd23 last year and get handed a contract because he played well in that particular game.

I was keen to hold on to Seb because he'd been a good player and young. Holding on to a 33 year old guy who hasn't had a run of good footy since 2016 is just silliness. It's not the same equation. The same medical group thought he'd be right to play every other year and they were wrong. I don't understand why anyone could think he is worth persisting with.

Back