News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

As Ratten said though, his second half of last season‘s kicking was very good. 28.6 or something similar.

True. With how King finished last season you'd probably tick off on his goalkicking.

Ratten's words tonight have been honest, finally. Saying that post bye they all haven't got it right. And that they're open for other help for King. It's a shame that we all get p*ssed off during the season and listening to the BS, but once it's over the truth comes out. Same thing with the rubbish fitness levels last season. Supporters can handle the truth during the season too.

Geelong are an extremely well managed and professional club.
When last have they actually stuffed up?

They recruit well and develop well and have brought in young players all the while.

Yes, they only may have a year or two left of their champion players, they might fall off the cliff ( debatable because they bring in good young players all the time - hell they got three first rounders for Kelly) but they’ve given their supporters close to two decades worth of joy.
But thats the point - you were quoting Joeys review of our demographic. Which is essentially saying our list has no up side as they are too old or our youth isn’t good enough.
He’s looking at Ryder, Hanners, Geary (who are potentially all retiring) and on the other end Byrnes, Bytel, Connelly and Allison.
Every club has players coming in that won’t make it and players that are too old. Geelong are no exception. I think it’s a nothing assessment of the list. He’s just trying to be controversial.
Whether Geelong are well run or not is not what I was talking about.

True. With how King finished last season you'd probably tick off on his goalkicking.

Ratten's words tonight have been honest, finally. Saying that post bye they all haven't got it right. And that they're open for other help for King. It's a shame that we all get p*ssed off during the season and listening to the BS, but once it's over the truth comes out. Same thing with the rubbish fitness levels last season. Supporters can handle the truth during the season too.
Not only can they handle the truth, they are entitled to it.

But thats the point - you were quoting Joeys review of our demographic. Which is essentially saying our list has no up side as they are too old or our youth isn’t good enough.
He’s looking at Ryder, Hanners, Geary (who are potentially all retiring) and on the other end Byrnes, Bytel, Connelly and Allison.
Every club has players coming in that won’t make it and players that are too old. Geelong are no exception. I think it’s a nothing assessment of the list. He’s just trying to be controversial.
Whether Geelong are well run or not is not what I was talking about.
No, he was pointing at our middle ground - Ross, Billings, Crouch, Steele, Wilkie, Hill, Membrey etc all 27/28 plus years and saying they are not the ones who are going to get us to a flag necessarily, while pointing out who we’ve got coming up….not terribly much -
King

Windy, Owens, NAS all babies still with a lot to prove

Bytel, Byrnes - not sure they’re even going to make it.

Maybe I’m not explaining it well. Maybe you can find it, or someone can post it here. Joey may be in the media, but he is not a sensationalist just trying to knock the club. I don’t think he’s wrong either.

No, he was pointing at our middle ground - Ross, Billings, Crouch, Steele, Wilkie, Hill, Membrey etc all 27/28 plus years and saying they are not the ones who are going to get us to a flag necessarily, while pointing out who we’ve got coming up….not terribly much -
King

Windy, Owens, NAS all babies still with a lot to prove

Bytel, Byrnes - not sure they’re even going to make it.

Maybe I’m not explaining it well. Maybe you can find it, or someone can post it here. Joey may be in the media, but he is not a sensationalist just trying to knock the club. I don’t think he’s wrong either.
Fair enough but imo it’s a media story, not much in it. Yep we look middle of road with the form we are in but like I said you can bend a story which ever way you want. There’s plenty of upside or plenty of downside depending on your bend.

Fair enough but imo it’s a media story, not much in it. Yep we look middle of road with the form we are in but like I said you can bend a story which ever way you want. There’s plenty of upside or plenty of downside depending on your bend.

I have a bit more confidence in the list than Joey but we are a very bare bones set up. Doesn't mean we can't go anywhere. Plenty this year aren't incredible lists but systems and playing a team game make them competitive.

I don’t miss nick hind

Fair enough…at the moment I’m trending “downside”.
( I’m sure I’ll recover during the off-season 🤣)

I don’t miss nick hind

I saw that during the game.
That is seriously unacceptable, no matter what.

Initially I thought he didn’t want to look at him because he was dragged because he’d stuffed up and given away a 50 ( if I recall correctly) but it looks really bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw that during the game.
That is seriously unacceptable, no matter what.

Initially I thought he didn’t want to look at him because he was dragged because he’d stuffed up and given away a 50 ( if I recall correctly) but it looks really bad.

It's unbelievable. He wilfully ignores him like he's the unpopular kid at school who's going to drain his social capital. Pretending he can't see or hear a guy who tapping him and speaking to him. He hasn't got any authority over them.

He was probably a great 2IC where the players saw him as a good cop but given the role he hasn't got the gravitas to put his ideas to them and have them perform.

The players are going to get a shock when they get Clarko. Hind would never play again if he tried that.

It's unbelievable. He wilfully ignores him like he's the unpopular kid at school who's going to drain his social capital. Pretending he can't see or hear a guy who tapping him and speaking to him. He hasn't got any authority over them.

He was probably a great 2IC where the players saw him as a good cop but given the role he hasn't got the gravitas to put his ideas to them and have them perform.

The players are going to get a shock when they get Clarko. Hind would never play again if he tried that.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Hind. That was absolutely toxic behaviour, wouldn't be surprised if Clarko comes in and just says "get rid of him".

Don't you read what people post on here. I'd say more people want him gone than to keep him.

He's out of contract.
When i first suggested that we don't take him up, that was included with the theory we could get Brayshaw. That one is shot down.

I hope he's expecting a pay cut in his next contract if we keep him.

I'm not sold on M Crouch in/Jones out. M Crouch very similar to his brother, which is good , but i don't think we want to stack our midfield with this type.

I see us wanting a squad of at least 5 or 6 midfielders not counting wings.

I'd like to have
B Crouch, J Steele, Clark, Ross , Jones. Windhager ( Run with ).

If we can land a better player Jones is one who could become a fringe player, but i could say the same thing about Clark.

I also agree, we need a complete reset. If Hill wants to play under Clarko I would drive him to his new location.

Billings needs a fresh start some where else and contrary I would also look at moving on Gresham if the right deal was offered. Both are injury prone and offer no foreseen improvement going forward.

Go to the draft with a hand full of high draft picks and be prepared to take a step back before going forward.
I wouldn't trade Gresham in a pink fit. He's something different in a midfield full of inside plodders (Ross, Crouch, Steele, Bytel). Also, he played very well this season and it's no surprise our best footy was when he was in the guts and playing strongly.

I would definitely trade Hill. Big money to play on a wing and he's behind NWM, Wood and D-Mac now. We've shuffled every other line just to fit him into the best 22 and it's stuffed up the team balance. Get rid of him.

Billings, Jones and Ross (although this would hurt as he turned his career around brilliantly this year) and fair game and I would take what we can get for them.

I just don't trust these guys that have stuffed up and got us where we are, to get us out of it again. Using the same lot to do the recruiting and trading is asking for more of the same.

Remember how we were going to sell off players and the new ones were always going to be better. People told me I was stupid for suggesting that we shouldn't have traded Bruce for peanuts and that Jones was an upgrade. Now we want to delist Jones and want to chase a forward to help out King.

Watch them sell required players for down grades before they realise that Ratts and the footy department are the issue.
If you had the option would you trade Jones for Bruce this offseason?

To me it's really much of a muchness - they both are pretty average and I'm certainly not crying out for bruce back at the club. He has only 2 good seasons - 1 when he first broke out for us playing forward and the other when he got to the dogs and had a bit of a the kick up the bum. Otherwise a very average player.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hind. That was absolutely toxic behaviour, wouldn't be surprised if Clarko comes in and just says "get rid of him".
His papers should be stamped. I don’t care what you think of the coach that sort of display is unacceptable outside of the under 10s.

If you had the option would you trade Jones for Bruce this offseason?

To me it's really much of a muchness - they both are pretty average and I'm certainly not crying out for bruce back at the club. He has only 2 good seasons - 1 when he first broke out for us playing forward and the other when he got to the dogs and had a bit of a the kick up the bum. Otherwise a very average player.
Nah, we need mids with pace and at least Jones has that. He’d also be getting at least 200k less than Bruce. Better to focus on younger guys with upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back