News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

FORMER ST KILDA CAPTAIN “BULLISH” YOUNGSTER WILL “SCARE A FEW”

BY NIC NEGREPONTIS 5 HOURS AGO

[https://images]

Retiring St Kilda veteran Jarryn Geary is bullish the club can contend in the next few years, thanks to the wave of youngsters coming through.

The 34-year-old played 207 games and captained the club across his career, but never tasted the ultimate success.

While the Saints missed the eight in 2022, Geary is confident in the next generation of players coming through.

“The thing that gives me a bit of hope to contend earlier than what I thought is probably the development of some of the younger guys that we probably didn’t expect to develop so quickly,” he told AFL Trade Radio.

“Marcus Windhager, Mitch Owens and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, those guys have given me faith that if they can improve and put pressure on other guys in the team, they’ll be able to push up and challenge.

1 second of 1 minute, 34 seconds

x close

“I still think they need to add some players and probably why they’re looking at Jordan De Goey and wanting to add a talented top-end player like that to accelerate the journey.

“I think the main issue for us has been that consistency. If they can find that and it’s hard to do that week in week out, but if they can find it they can challenge in the next little period.

“They certainly need to add a couple more and rely on those younger guys to push the club forward.”

Geary is “bullish” about one young Saint in particular.

“The other guy I’m quite bullish on, and it may not be next year, and after losing Paddy Ryder it’s something we need to develop, and it’s Max Heath in the ruck,” he added.

“He’s just a competitive beast and he’s pretty raw still so he may take a little bit longer, but when he does play he’s going to scare a few and Saints fans will enjoy watching him.

“He’s probably got a little bit more development in him, but when he does play he’s going to be a pretty good player for the Saints.”

On SM-F711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Retiring St Kilda veteran Jarryn Geary is bullish the club can contend in the next few years, thanks to the wave of youngsters coming through.

The 34-year-old played 207 games and captained the club across his career, but never tasted the ultimate success.

While the Saints missed the eight in 2022, Geary is confident in the next generation of players coming through.

“The thing that gives me a bit of hope to contend earlier than what I thought is probably the development of some of the younger guys that we probably didn’t expect to develop so quickly,” he told AFL Trade Radio.

“Marcus Windhager, Mitch Owens and Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, those guys have given me faith that if they can improve and put pressure on other guys in the team, they’ll be able to push up and challenge.

x close

“I still think they need to add some players and probably why they’re looking at Jordan De Goey and wanting to add a talented top-end player like that to accelerate the journey.

“I think the main issue for us has been that consistency. If they can find that and it’s hard to do that week in week out, but if they can find it they can challenge in the next little period.

“They certainly need to add a couple more and rely on those younger guys to push the club forward.”

“The other guy I’m quite bullish on, and it may not be next year, and after losing Paddy Ryder it’s something we need to develop, and it’s Max Heath in the ruck,” he added.

“He’s just a competitive beast and he’s pretty raw still so he may take a little bit longer, but when he does play he’s going to scare a few and Saints fans will enjoy watching him.

“He’s probably got a little bit more development in him, but when he does play he’s going to be a pretty good player for the Saints.”

he rates Heath! He rates Windy and Owens and Nas!

Also thinks Bytel has everything he needs to become an AFL midfielder. Best hands in the club

x close

Full interview

Owens!

Him and windy are such bright spots in our recent drafting history. His goal is to play every game next season.

These two will be our Rowell and Anderson. Co captains in 10 years
I'll be happy if Owens follows the trajectory of this young bloke next year.

We lose him if he cracks the shits Carlisle-style and says "this club is *ed" and he doesn't want to play with us any more - contract can't make him love us any more than a marriage contract can
We cant actually lose him as in he cant walk BUT if he really wants out clubs usually get those deals done, id suggest the fact theres nothing official and the rumour that he wants to go to North (which has no appeal outside of Clarko who isnt there anyway) would have to skew any potential disharmony in our favour.

If he really wants out and someone else wants him enough then i suspect hes gone but we can absolutely hold him to his contract and force him to stay for a year and he might end up staying permanently or do a Dunkley and leave later.

Few bits and pieces (not sure if they've been posted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few bits and pieces (not sure if they've been posted)

Really enjoyed that Cordy interview. Very candid, seems like a down to earth guy. Reminds me a lot of Dougs actually.

I have a feeling he may surprise us.

This was absolutely fantastic mate. Thanks for posting.
Geoff Walsh on a podcast with Dan from the block.. probably the best recruit we could have asked for.

Agree. He seems like a non nonsense operator with proven strategies for getting collective buy in from everyone in the organisation. Seems like a key part of what we've been missing for a long while. Accountability, buy in, a willingness for any individual to have the tough conversations rather than walk by and leave it to someone else to address. 'Have the Will to Act'. All well and good to pump out reports, and have meetings but if you don't action the strategies, and get buy in, what use are they etc. Hopefully Geoff prompts significant change that ends up in better onfield results!

Last edited:

WTF is going on with the vowel shift amongst Melbournians?? E's pronounced as A's, A's as E's. Speak properly ffs haha! I've only noticed it creeping in over the last 5 years or so. It's like they're all starting to sound like Jonno Brown.

It's pronounced Melbn, not Malbn. Walsh not Welsh. Help not halp. Cal Wilkie, not Kel Wilkie. Driving me nuts.

I think it's common knowledge on this board that David King is a card carrying member of the KSHC (Known St Kilda Hater's Club) but he out did himself on last night's Fox Footy Trading wrap up show. They waited until the the dying minutes of the show to "dissect" St Kilda's trade period performance, which most were already in agreement, was totally underwhelming, but King couldn't resist sticking the boots in.
He used the phrase "List clogger capital of Australia" and went on the name a number of these so called "List Cloggers":
  • Zaine Cordy - has been on the list for less than 7 days so can't do a lot of clogging in that short a time frame.
  • Tom Campbell - was recruited as ruck back up so was fully expected to play majority of time in the McGoos.
  • James Frawley - was delisted at the end of 2021 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option.
  • Shaun McKernan - was delisted at the end of 2021 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option.
  • Ryan Abbot - was delisted at the end of 2020 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option.
  • Zak Jones - has been a regular first 22 player (apart from some time off for personal reason) - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Dan Butler - has been a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Dean Kent - was delisted at the end of 2022 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on but I'll concede on Kent while he was on the list.
  • Logan Austin - was delisted at the end of 2020 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option..
  • Brad Crouch - has been a regular first 22 player and has figured high up in 2 B & Fs - so the very opposite of a list clogger.
  • Jack Higgins - has been a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Paddy Ryder - was delisted at the end of 2022 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and when he was on the list was a solid contributor.
  • Dylan(?) Howard - I presume King meant Dougal Howard who has been a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Brad Hill - has been somewhat disappointing but still a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Dan Hannabery - was delisted at the end of 2022 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was a calculated risk due to injury history.
He then briefly stated that he liked some of our younger players and among them, referred to an Owies? I presume he meant Owens.
Owies, Dylan Howard, so called List Cloggers who aren't actually on the list? If you are going to criticise, at least be informed. He is supposed to be a professional pundit.

He also said "St Kilda fans think I am bashing them". Think?, we know he bashes the club every chance he gets. What happened to poor Kingy? Did someone from the Saints sleep with his girlfriend back in the day. Was it the 97 Prelim? Why the open hostility?

And finally, listening to John Ralph offer his opinions is excruciating. He's like that friend whose one game a year he watches is the Grand Final and then starts offering his opinion on all things football related while you are all watching it. He is a reporter and should stick to reporting the facts and leave the punditry to the experts like David King.

I think it's common knowledge on this board that David King is a card carrying member of the KSHC (Known St Kilda Hater's Club) but he out did himself on last night's Fox Footy Trading wrap up show. They waited until the the dying minutes of the show to "dissect" St Kilda's trade period performance, which most were already in agreement, was totally underwhelming, but King couldn't resist sticking the boots in.
He used the phrase "List clogger capital of Australia" and went on the name a number of these so called "List Cloggers":
  • Zaine Cordy - has been on the list for less than 7 days so can't do a lot of clogging in that short a time frame.
  • Tom Campbell - was recruited as ruck back up so was fully expected to play majority of time in the McGoos.
  • James Frawley - was delisted at the end of 2021 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option.
  • Shaun McKernan - was delisted at the end of 2021 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option.
  • Ryan Abbot - was delisted at the end of 2020 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option.
  • Zak Jones - has been a regular first 22 player (apart from some time off for personal reason) - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Dan Butler - has been a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Dean Kent - was delisted at the end of 2022 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on but I'll concede on Kent while he was on the list.
  • Logan Austin - was delisted at the end of 2020 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was only ever a backup/depth option..
  • Brad Crouch - has been a regular first 22 player and has figured high up in 2 B & Fs - so the very opposite of a list clogger.
  • Jack Higgins - has been a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Paddy Ryder - was delisted at the end of 2022 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and when he was on the list was a solid contributor.
  • Dylan(?) Howard - I presume King meant Dougal Howard who has been a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Brad Hill - has been somewhat disappointing but still a regular first 22 player - so the opposite of a list clogger.
  • Dan Hannabery - was delisted at the end of 2022 - bit hard to clog a list that you are not on and was a calculated risk due to injury history.
He then briefly stated that he liked some of our younger players and among them, referred to an Owies? I presume he meant Owens.
Owies, Dylan Howard, so called List Cloggers who aren't actually on the list? If you are going to criticise, at least be informed. He is supposed to be a professional pundit.

He also said "St Kilda fans think I am bashing them". Think?, we know he bashes the club every chance he gets. What happened to poor Kingy? Did someone from the Saints sleep with his girlfriend back in the day. Was it the 97 Prelim? Why the open hostility?

And finally, listening to John Ralph offer his opinions is excruciating. He's like that friend whose one game a year he watches is the Grand Final and then starts offering his opinion on all things football related while you are all watching it. He is a reporter and should stick to reporting the facts and leave the punditry to the experts like David King.
he was full of praise earlier in the year so was Kane Kornes

For you sake I would stop caring what King says. It is an opinion, * him

Agree. He seems like a non nonsense operator with proven strategies for getting collective buy in from everyone in the organisation. Seems like a key part of what we've been missing for a long while. Accountability, buy in, a willingness for any individual to have the tough conversations rather than walk by and leave it to someone else to address. 'Have the Will to Act'. All well and good to pump out reports, and have meetings but if you don't action the strategies, and get buy in, what use are they etc. Hopefully Geoff prompts significant change that ends up in better onfield results!

Carlton immediately straightened up with the Brian Cook appointment. Looking at Essendon they are very similar to how Carlton was going before he arrived. He looks like the right type to really straighten us up off field. Lethlean is a bit one man show so hopefully he keeps him accountable too.

So he actually listed 7 “list cloggers” who are not presently on our list - some for two years already?

What a bloody idiot. No wonder no one takes him seriously.

He said earlier in the year we could win the flag, off the back of max king.

Let's face it... 99% of the afl media are just grubs.

Him and Volkano talk s**t that fires people up and get clicks, listeners and viewers. They will be earning bonuses for doing exactly what people accuse them of idiocy about. The real idiocy is getting emotional about a trolling exercise that he would give zero actual shits about other than when it gets lots of traffic and earns him another bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back