News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Richmond is a very stable side and the moment they made substantial playing list changes they fell apart. The Dogs changed more pieces but they rebuilt after their last premiership and again built a youth side based around a core of stars then cherry picked missing pieces. How many assistants did we go through? I wouldn't have thought it was any higher than most other clubs. Hawthorn had the best coach going around but a sh*t playing list and he's a bottom of the ladder coach.

We played Acres in different positions at Sandy because we operated like two seperate clubs before we did a take over. That is because of the austerity measures I've mentioned. They seemed to think that you could operate an AFL club with out investing in key areas. That is poor development but not due to staffing issues. I don't remember Wilkie coming in as a ruckman. I thought he played KPB from his first game. I never remembered Paton playing anywhere but back either.

Agree with playing players to strengths, absolutely stupid to do otherwise. Richmond turned themselves around when they realised that that was possible.
We’ll The Wilkie /Pato stories are fact I remember because well I mentioned it at the time. It’s not the VFL assistants it’s the senior coach

Here it goes
Simon Mcfee
Paul Hudson
Aaron Hamill
Lindsey Gilbee
Jake Batchelor

Unfortunately I don’t any lasted more then 2 years under Richo Hudson being the best of the lot.

Former Fremantle player Harley Balic dies at the age of 25
No Saints stuff but this tragic poor kid

Just saw this article. We should all remember this when we make stupid derogatory comments about players with no idea about what's going on with them internally. I feel pretty bad about some of the stuff I've said over the years even in jest.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We’ll The Wilkie /Pato stories are fact I remember because well I mentioned it at the time. It’s not the VFL assistants it’s the senior coach
You've removed the entire context over why Wilkie was playing in the ruck. No one started him in the ruck with the intention of him ever playing there. It was a preseason game, and he was scheduled to only play the last quarter when our ruck got concussed and he was the only 'tall' on the bench who could come on and fill in as a ruck.

Richo had many faults that we don't need to be miss representing things to add more to the list.

Ads734

Premiership Player
Jan 24, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
You've removed the entire context over why Wilkie was playing in the ruck. No one started him in the ruck with the intention of him ever playing there. It was a preseason game, and he was scheduled to only play the last quarter when our ruck got concussed and he was the only 'tall' on the bench who could come on and fill in as a ruck.

Richo had many faults that we don't need to be miss representing things to add more to the list.
Not true he was training there during the pre season as a weird utility type.he was not there to play as a half back and Pato was the same played out of position.

Sorry to barge in everyone, but I was wondering if any of you are interested, could you please check out my latest video? It would mean the world to me.

Great content, presented well. I really enjoyed that.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
I was considering talking about us picking up Jones, Crouch, Butler, Ryder, Howard and Higgins on value but I was worried about the video being too long. I initially thought it would be around 25 minutes.

By the way, thanks for the kind words everyone. I’m glad you all enjoyed it.
I'm happy to watch an extended video is it's Saints related.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why is it every article about the AFL's change in the holding the ball rule has a picture of a Saint getting tackled
First one I saw was Brad Hill
Now Steeley is the man getting tackled...

Haha, I thought the same thing watching the news today. Every "lowlight" of breaking the rules was of a St Kilda player. You wouldn't ever see the Pies like this. No respect I tells ya!

Why is it every article about the AFL's change in the holding the ball rule has a picture of a Saint getting tackled
First one I saw was Brad Hill
Now Steeley is the man getting tackled...

Actially on the news last night it showed vision of “Saints player Bradley Hill” not giving the ball back instantly and how that could now become a 50m penalty!

Be also very interested to see if the big name players actually do get less time than the rank and file to release the ball when tackled. Time will tell.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
Actially on the news last night it showed vision of “Saints player Bradley Hill” not giving the ball back instantly and how that could now become a 50m penalty!

Be also very interested to see if the big name players actually do get less time than the rank and file to release the ball when tackled. Time will tell.

Could've saved themselves a lot of time trawling through footage and just looked through Tom Liberatore footage. Bloke is the worst for it in the AFL

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

Its because there is no other club that has the compelling visual aesthetic that Black White and spilled Blood Red has against the the vivid living green. It is irresistible in terms of its seductive power! Who couldn't use it given the choice! Its glorious, simply the best!

Its because there is no other club that has the compelling visual aesthetic that Black White and spilled Blood Red has against the the vivid living green. It is irresistible in terms of its seductive power! Who couldn't use it given the choice! Its glorious, simply the best!

well that argument COULD work except for the fact that we were wearing an away strip with a fair amount of white in it 🤣🤣🤣

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
Hi Sainters, Not sure if this was known or posted here previously. I had been told about this a while ago but didn't post it for privacy reasons. Looks like the family are ok with it being released now.

Good luck for the upcoming season.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

"Only one player missed the session due to health and safety protocols with more than 15 players contracting COVID-19 since late December. Fortunately for the Saints, most of the cases were during the Christmas break, minimising the level of training disruptions other clubs have been forced to deal with in the first few weeks of 2022."

Good to see the boys timing their infections, hope none of them were making babies at the wrong time this year - got Jakey Carlisle delisted

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda

AFL 2022: Dual A-League-winning coach Ernie Merrick in mentor role for St Kilda coach Brett Ratten

Anyone got the article?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

AFL 2022: Dual A-League-winning coach Ernie Merrick in mentor role for St Kilda coach Brett Ratten​

Anyone got the article?

Dual A-League-winning coach Ernie Merrick in mentor role for St Kilda coach Brett Ratten​

St Kilda now has the longest premiership drought and didn’t play finals last year. But, in order to fast-track change, the Saints are tapping the brain of a successful coach from another sport.

St Kilda has turned to renowned soccer coach Ernie Merrick to act as a mentor for Brett Ratten during the coming AFL season.

Merrick, who masterminded two A-League premierships at Melbourne Victory, has been a keen observer at Saints training since players returned to the club this month.

St Kilda head of footy David Rath approached Merrick for the role after the pair had previously crossed paths at the Victorian Institute of Sport.

Ratten said he was excited about leveraging Merrick’s experience — the Scotsman was twice named A-League coach of the year, had a stint in charge of Hong Kong’s national team and also coached Wellington Phoenix and Newcastle Jets.

“It’s just somebody I can talk to that knows what we are trying to do and then someone who I can talk to about certain things,” Ratten told the Herald Sun.

“He has a lot of experience and he knows what a good culture looks like, he knows what a good program looks like and to educate and things like that.

“(It’s) just someone with some fresh eyes to have a look at what we are trying to achieve and my role in that as well.”

Merrick, who moved to Australia in 1975, said his role at Moorabbin would not have a strict definition.

“I’m just a good listener and I just want to be someone who can listen and make good suggestions and discuss some of the issues that maybe Brett is dealing with that I might have dealt with at some stage,” he said.

“And I can give him an opinion on as a fairly upfront and honest person who is a little bit separate from the club and has an unbiased view on things.”

Merrick said he had been extremely impressed with Ratten, who is out of contract at the end of the year and desperate to help the Saints break the game’s longest premiership drought.

“To me coaching is two things — you coach a team but you manage individuals,” Merrick said.

“Sometimes there are big personalities involved and you are trying to manage individuals so I think it’s more a management side than a tactical side I will be involved in.

“And what I can gather after being involved for three weeks or so is that Brett Ratten is a very good coach, he knows what he is doing and he is surrounded by good coaches and has a very good up and coming young team.”

Merrick’s first taste of Aussie rules was a St Kilda home game soon after he moved to Australia and said he later became acquainted with Saints stars such as Trevor Barker, Jeff Sarau and Robbie Muir after they crashed a party at his house.

Merrick said he had also shared ideas in the past with footy coaches such as Alastair Clarkson, Damien Hardwick, Brendon Lade and Mark Williams.

Top notch!
I'll second that......it was a great/informative clip.......well done.

I watched the movie "money ball" several years ago and was fascinated by it.......I could totally relate to the video clip.

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,
Found it interesting to see where all the former players were headed in 2022. Good article on Fox Footy about it. Here's an update on former Saints.

Hope Lonie gets a crack at the AFL again.

ST KILDA

Sam Alabakis (delisted) – TBC

Jake Carlisle (retired) – A mentor – and possible playing – role at Craigieburn (Essendon District FL)

Oscar Clavarino – South Adelaide (SANFL)

Paul Hunter – Port Melbourne (VFL)

James Frawley (retired) – Will continue following his property and business endeavours, but is also keen to explore the player development and coaching spaces, both at senior and junior levels.

Jack Lonie (delisted) – TBC, but is weighing up his VFL options. He has been training with Essendon (VFL)

Shaun McKernan (retired) – Tullamarine (Essendon District FL)

Dylan Roberton (retired) – Assistant coach at Western Bulldogs (AFLW) and player at Frankston YCW (Mornington Peninsula NFL)

Back