News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Brett Ratten was on SEN this morning. can someone please share the audio.

Thanks in adance.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Off topic, but thank fu** we did not get Dylan Sheil. What a lazy useless devoid of leadership campaigner he is. His efforts defensively are horrendous for someone who cost as much as he did.

We often talk about our sh1tty luck and horrible management but how big a bullet did we dodge by missing out on that muscle bound fraud.

Not only would we have him taking up a sizable chunk of cap space but we'd be watching Winx run around in dirty cheating red and black.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
We often talk about our sh1tty luck and horrible management but how big a bullet did we dodge by missing out on that muscle bound fraud.

Not only would we have him taking up a sizable chunk of cap space but we'd be watching Winx run around in dirty cheating red and black.
Our new found hero David King (saying nice things about the Saints so he is now objective and an absolute expert) on the First Crack last night had absolutely damning footage of Shiel pointing out a free Swan player, running away into a part of the field where he had no impact on the game, and then screaming and pointing at another Bomber player who was already on a bloke.

And absolute fraud whose lazy one way running shiteness was shielded by the awesome GWS mids of late last decade. Two first and a chunck of SC as you said.

I continually give a Dodoro fist pump that they got him and he 'won' another trading period. That bloke is really undefeated champion of winning trade periods.
May he recruit Marshall and get Amon. One will cost dp's and a big slice of SC, the orther more SC. Both players totally unsuited for Essendon needs. Hope Dodoro stays there forever.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
Off topic, but thank fu** we did not get Dylan Sheil. What a lazy useless devoid of leadership campaigner he is. His efforts defensively are horrendous for someone who cost as much as he did.
I was thinking the same thing but maybe at seasons end a cheap pick up ...disenchanted as he may be and as the BUMMERS are with him...under the tutelage of the man of STEELE, Big Daddy RATTS and what is fast becoming the St Kilda way, he may yet be what once he might have been! Probably not!

Last edited:

hangdog

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Wrexham FC,

"When I watch him do his work, I see a bloke that has to continually restrain himself from putting people on a stretcher, and the great thing is – I reckon his opponents all know that he is capable of doing that at any given moment."

I love this write up about Ben Long. Mongrel Punt is a great read.

Our new found hero David King (saying nice things about the Saints so he is now objective and an absolute expert) on the First Crack last night had absolutely damning footage of Shiel pointing out a free Swan player, running away into a part of the field where he had no impact on the game, and then screaming and pointing at another Bomber player who was already on a bloke.

And absolute fraud whose lazy one way running shiteness was shielded by the awesome GWS mids of late last decade. Two first and a chunck of SC as you said.

I continually give a Dodoro fist pump that they got him and he 'won' another trading period. That bloke is really undefeated champion of winning trade periods.
May he recruit Marshall and get Amon. One will cost dp's and a big slice of SC, the orther more SC. Both players totally unsuited for Essendon needs. Hope Dodoro stays there forever.
Don't remember if it was the same show, because there were so many shows highlighting the lack of fight from the Dankless Bombers, but they also pointed out Nicholas Hind as a one way runner.

The very same Nicholas Hind who many criticised the club for trading to the Bombers for a bag of chips (even though the same Nicholas Hind refused to re-sign with the Saints).

That criticism may be justified I suppose because we could've always played him ahead of guys like Sinclair and Hill 🤪

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
"When I watch him do his work, I see a bloke that has to continually restrain himself from putting people on a stretcher, and the great thing is – I reckon his opponents all know that he is capable of doing that at any given moment."

HB loves Dougal Howard and Ben Long more than even our supporters lol

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Great point of Coops the GOAT. What a p[layer, can do anything ;)

WAS COOPER SHARMAN PLAYING ON TOM STEWART EFFECTIVE?

One could look at the stats and make your mind up that way.

Of course, people who do that are mostly idiots. You can use numbers and percentages to prove anything you like – 67% of people know that. However, despite the fact that Tom Stewart racked up a heap of the footy, notching 27 touches, his intercept work was down considerably.

Now, there’ll be some who attempt to convince you that it was because Stewart played so much time on the wing. Usually, I would give them that, but just because he started on the wing, does not mean he stayed there. If you watch back, Stewart barely ventured past the centre, folding back inside defensive fifty almost immediately after the centre bounces.

He did manage to get his hand – singular – on the footy quite a bit, but the defensive attention inside fifty from Sharman limited his ability to control the contest the way he has become accustomed to. He just wouldn’t let him take the intercept grabs he usually does.

Need further proof?

I’ve got ya.

Stewart eats up distance when he plays in defence. He has notched a game this season where he has run and kicked the footy over 900 metres in a game. His season average is 21.13 metres gained per possession. Take it from me – anything over 20 is excellent, considering the number of handballs and sideways kicks we see in the game.

Today, that number was down to 11.48 metres per possession.

So, what does that mean?

It means he was under pressure and forced to kick backwards and sideways way more than he usually would. We can sit here and look at the basic stats of 27 touches, 93% efficiency, and so on, but he did not hurt the Saints with his touches, and damn it, put some respect on Sharman’s name for his role in making that happen.

The 21-year-old finished with just nine touches and a goal, but his efforts in this one were something that simply does not translate into stats. 67% of people know that, remember.

Sep 8, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't remember if it was the same show, because there were so many shows highlighting the lack of fight from the Dankless Bombers, but they also pointed out Nicholas Hind as a one way runner.

The very same Nicholas Hind who many criticised the club for trading to the Bombers for a bag of chips (even though the same Nicholas Hind refused to re-sign with the Saints).

That criticism may be justified I suppose because we could've always played him ahead of guys like Sinclair and Hill 🤪
Was the same show. Highlights were of him tracking back to defend at about a quarter the pace he has when he has the ball in his hands. I don't know what bombers look at in their reviews but they seriously suck at calling out lazy play.

King in first crack also highlighted Jones unselfish running, was in full sprint for about 60meters just to get to King to lay a light block just on the chance the ball managed to get that far up the ground to King in the pocket (was the play where King marked in the pocket)

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

"He does what no one else is capable of doing – he hits people hard!
There were a few occasions in this game where he just went harder at the contest than everyone else and either won the footy, or caused the play to be disrupted with pure, physical pressure.
Long would have been a monster in the late 1980s or early 1990s, back when you could run through someone like it was an everyday occurrence and not bat an eyelid. When I watch him do his work, I see a bloke that has to continually restrain himself from putting people on a stretcher, and the great thing is – I reckon his opponents all know that he is capable of doing that at any given moment."......Excerpt from above article on Ben LONG

This is just the absolute truth on LONGY, imo but I've seen so much more to his game at times...there is definitely the flash of virtuoso in LONG as well.
I've seen glorious marks and beautifully deft touches from the raging bull. He actually thinks ahead of his immediate action...peripherally aware both in space and time, perhaps to his detriment sometimes. I just can't help but feel the greatest glory days are ahead of Ben....not a LONG way off we all exclaim!

Last edited:

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great point of Coops the GOAT. What a p[layer, can do anything ;)

WAS COOPER SHARMAN PLAYING ON TOM STEWART EFFECTIVE?

One could look at the stats and make your mind up that way.

Of course, people who do that are mostly idiots. You can use numbers and percentages to prove anything you like – 67% of people know that. However, despite the fact that Tom Stewart racked up a heap of the footy, notching 27 touches, his intercept work was down considerably.

Now, there’ll be some who attempt to convince you that it was because Stewart played so much time on the wing. Usually, I would give them that, but just because he started on the wing, does not mean he stayed there. If you watch back, Stewart barely ventured past the centre, folding back inside defensive fifty almost immediately after the centre bounces.

He did manage to get his hand – singular – on the footy quite a bit, but the defensive attention inside fifty from Sharman limited his ability to control the contest the way he has become accustomed to. He just wouldn’t let him take the intercept grabs he usually does.

Need further proof?

I’ve got ya.

Stewart eats up distance when he plays in defence. He has notched a game this season where he has run and kicked the footy over 900 metres in a game. His season average is 21.13 metres gained per possession. Take it from me – anything over 20 is excellent, considering the number of handballs and sideways kicks we see in the game.

Today, that number was down to 11.48 metres per possession.

So, what does that mean?

It means he was under pressure and forced to kick backwards and sideways way more than he usually would. We can sit here and look at the basic stats of 27 touches, 93% efficiency, and so on, but he did not hurt the Saints with his touches, and damn it, put some respect on Sharman’s name for his role in making that happen.

The 21-year-old finished with just nine touches and a goal, but his efforts in this one were something that simply does not translate into stats. 67% of people know that, remember.
I love the stats based analysis that the Mongrel punt dishes outs. Really highlights what some of the more overlooked performances are doing each week

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Coaches Votes totals after round 9

27 - Higgins (3 games)
26 - Steele (5)
23 - Sinclair (5)
14 - Crouch (2)
13 - King (2)
11 - Battle (2)
10 - Gresham (4), Ryder (1)
8 - Hill (1)
6 - Ross (1)
5 - Hayes (1)
4 - Marshall (1)
3 - Butler (1)
2 - Jones (1), Membrey (1)
0 - Billings, Byrnes, Campbell, Howard, Joyce, Kent, Lienert, Long, McKenzie, Owens, Paton, Sharman, Wanganeen-Milera, Webster, Wilkie, Windhager, Wood

Coaches Votes totals after round 9

27 - Higgins (3 games)
26 - Steele (5)
23 - Sinclair (5)
14 - Crouch (2)
13 - King (2)
11 - Battle (2)
10 - Gresham (4), Ryder (1)
8 - Hill (1)
6 - Ross (1)
5 - Hayes (1)
4 - Marshall (1)
3 - Butler (1)
2 - Jones (1), Membrey (1)
0 - Billings, Byrnes, Campbell, Howard, Joyce, Kent, Lienert, Long, McKenzie, Owens, Paton, Sharman, Wanganeen-Milera, Webster, Wilkie, Windhager, Wood

Not good to have the two top vote getters out at once.

Robo gave Cal Wilkie a nice right up in his likes for the round.

Can you copy and paste?

6. Callum Wilkie​

He’s the glue in the backline of a team sitting in fifth position and he took yet another big name in Round 9. This time it was Geelong’s Jeremy Cameron. Wilkie’s opponents this season have included Cameron (one goal), Bayley Fritsch (one goal), Robbie Gray (two goals in the wet at Cairns), Jack Gunston (goalless) and Toby Greene (one goal). Wilkie plays in the same manner as Richmond’s Dylan Grimes. Grimes is 194cm and Wilkie is 191cm, and although he’s not in Grimes status, he’s building a damn fine career. He can play tall and small, and he’s disciplined and mature. And he’s resilient. He’s played every game since 2019, which was his first year at the club. That’s 72 games in succession. Little wonder coach Brett Ratten rates him so high.

6. Callum Wilkie​

He’s the glue in the backline of a team sitting in fifth position and he took yet another big name in Round 9. This time it was Geelong’s Jeremy Cameron. Wilkie’s opponents this season have included Cameron (one goal), Bayley Fritsch (one goal), Robbie Gray (two goals in the wet at Cairns), Jack Gunston (goalless) and Toby Greene (one goal). Wilkie plays in the same manner as Richmond’s Dylan Grimes. Grimes is 194cm and Wilkie is 191cm, and although he’s not in Grimes status, he’s building a damn fine career. He can play tall and small, and he’s disciplined and mature. And he’s resilient. He’s played every game since 2019, which was his first year at the club. That’s 72 games in succession. Little wonder coach Brett Ratten rates him so high.
Thank you.
High praise indeed. Nice to see the “lesser names” getting recognition.
What an inspired recruit he was.

Sep 26, 2021
Saturn
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers

6. Callum Wilkie​

Wilkie is one of the first magnets on the board no doubt. An impressive dude.

Back