News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

David King just said we could win the flag on First Crack. Because of Max King. Bloody hell. What's happened to him? Even Joey was floored.
I doubt this year. If we make top 4 this year. That will be impressive.

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
David King just said we could win the flag on First Crack. Because of Max King. Bloody hell. What's happened to him? Even Joey was floored.
He's pumping us up to boost fan expectation and make the inevitable fall harder. Oldest trick in the book.

11men1cup

All Australian
Jun 15, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
Damian Barrett giving James Gallagher some praise on AFL daily, about 40 seconds in

On Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Interview with Paddy at around the 32 minute mark

Maybe not the exact thread for this, but I think what Paddy says about the care, the respect, and the love around the club, and how this is driving the team at the moment, is why we shouldn't go for a player like Degoey. Could you imagine someone like Paddy having to deal with someone like Degoey on a day to day basis? I'd see it as the ultimate disrespect to him and everything he stands for

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Lyon, Brown and Riewoldt couldn’t stop smiling chatting to paddy. Has to be one of the most loveable blokes in footy right now. He just has a passion for the game that you can feel.
Tim Watson on SEN this morning said he has known Paddy since his first game at Essendon as an 18 y.o and he has never seen him play better footy.

For a bloke that was a bit of an afterthought in the recruiting of 5 in 2019, he certainly has been the best value, only challenged by Brad Hill this year.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

Listening to that after all the garbage that has come out of BARRETT's mouth by inference and directly....its a massive turnaround....he's getting rather illuminated about us now! HE and GABELICH waxing lyrical almost about the SAINTS.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC

Listening to that after all the garbage that has come out of BARRETT's mouth by inference and directly....its a massive turnaround....he's getting rather illuminated about us now! HE and GABELICH waxing lyrical almost about the SAINTS.

Yeah, I see it differently. We are invested in the club and feel critisism of the club personally. People like Barrett and King have been labelled as 'hating' the Saints.
Well it seems they may call it as they see it. This year effusive and with good reason. The recruits are firing, the rookies like Wilkie in AA form, winnig games over Freo at home, a 10 goal blitz v Richmond, playing the whole second half v GWS with no rucks and winning, overrunning Geelong, winning ugly v Adelaide.

All gutsy, all different. As I said we are invested, but we can see the growth and the bond of this team. The Kings and Barrett's of this world need to look and judge 18 teams on what they see.

Some of the footage King has shown of Brad Hill and then Zones putting on selfless blocks for Ming shows the unselfish manner this team is playing. It is obvious to anyone watching.
There were questions of Ratten (by me as well). Wins cures all ill's and I think what Barrett said about Ratten is true. His gameday coaching has improved and you can see the respect the team has for him. After the game he was getting around to all the players, established or not. He made an effort to get across to Sharman and they had a very smiley chat.
The footage of Ratts addressing the group at 3/4 time was significant. He had his hand on Brad Hills head, not in a patronising way, but to highlight Brad and his 200th. Do it for Brad? Well Hill was awesome in the 4th as was the rest of the team. 8.2 in the last to swamp the Crows on their dungheap after being ordinary all night.
A coach can only do so much, but Ratten is going as well as the team ATM.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, I see it differently. We are invested in the club and feel critisism of the club personally. People like Barrett and King have been labelled as 'hating' the Saints.
Well it seems they may call it as they see it. This year effusive and with good reason. The recruits are firing, the rookies like Wilkie in AA form, winnig games over Freo at home, a 10 goal blitz v Richmond, playing the whole second half v GWS with no rucks and winning, overrunning Geelong, winning ugly v Adelaide.

All gutsy, all different. As I said we are invested, but we can see the growth and the bond of this team. The Kings and Barrett's of this world need to look and judge 18 teams on what they see.

Some of the footage King has shown of Brad Hill and then Zones putting on selfless blocks for Ming shows the unselfish manner this team is playing. It is obvious to anyone watching.
There were questions of Ratten (by me as well). Wins cures all ill's and I think what Barrett said about Ratten is true. His gameday coaching has improved and you can see the respect the team has for him. After the game he was getting around to all the players, established or not. He made an effort to get across to Sharman and they had a very smiley chat.
The footage of Ratts addressing the group at 3/4 time was significant. He had his hand on Brad Hills head, not in a patronising way, but to highlight Brad and his 200th. Do it for Brad? Well Hill was awesome in the 4th as was the rest of the team. 8.2 in the last to swamp the Crows on their dungheap after being ordinary all night.
look I agree that a lot of the 'haters' in the media are overblown here due to us being defensive. We're often actually harsher than these guys in the media on our own players. When we play well they like us and when we don't they're critical.

However, I still prefer labelling them all negative campaigners who hate the club and play up our persecution complex. What's the point of supporting the Saints if you don't get to play the role of the "Us against the World" team. Miserable cynics when they criticise us and fickle bandwagoners when they praise us!

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda

I don't think what you are saying is a matter of seeing it differently....I agree that what seems pretty obvious is the teams improvement......that initself brings the journos and media gathering like pigeons for the crumbs.......RATTs and the team have deserved it thus far...no doubt about that....

In regards to BARRETTS earlier appreciation of our performances were in many ways uttered without demonstrating any insight....I didn't have to take it personally....he often spoke negatively, without qualification and without a demonstrable care to do so! Often it was disregard and disinterest in presenting a fuller understanding or working harder to find out more. It suited his narrative to have the SAINTS neither worthy nor with possible mitigating circumstances at the time.

Other than that don't mind KINGY's turnaround either and feel we have now given them no choice but to consider our potential and our worth.....its certainly not because of their innate journalistic integrity far from it!

Last edited:

Greshs Eye

Debutant
Feb 6, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unrelated to playing the game of football directly, but interesting to see Tom Campbell a leader on this particular issue (apologies if already posted, I couldnt find it) : ‘AFL players are concerned’: how the black summer fires spurred Tom Campbell to act on climate change

Bit different to a couple of seasons ago where he'd bag the club for the Hannebery deal week in, week out
Yeah when you do well like we have the last couple of years you will receive praise when you do crap deals like the Hannas deal you wont get praise

Last edited:
Back