News 2022 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

vBaU7Kx.gif

It was a pretty nothing interview. Said he's happy at the club pretty much but didn't say he's about to sign or anything.

I am not for 'resting' players coming up to a supposed easy win. However this is a good precaution and not resting him. He has had two concussions this year and the extra week off due to the bye isn't a bad thing for him or us.
Sounds like he is in covid iso, so it’s an enforced rest.
But even so, I thought it was a good idea to give him the extra week ( two with the bye).

Don’t like to blow my own trumpet but Jack Steele just liked my comment under this photo on Facebook from the Saints late last year .
04D99B80-20BC-49D8-9F37-9E6925E1303F.jpeg
I answered “ where is Jack Daniels “ .
My life is complete now our captain has liked my comment . 🥰

Don’t like to blow my own trumpet but Jack Steele just liked my comment under this photo on Facebook from the Saints late last year .
View attachment 1408194
I answered “ where is Jack Daniels “ .
My life is complete now our captain has liked my comment . 🥰
screenshot it, print it out and frame it in the living room

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moved the Ratten contract talks to its own dedicated thread.

Think I will start doing this permanently from now on for any media or news that creates lengthy discussion. Doesn't clog this up either (this thread should really be only for the posting of content).

ST KILDA​

It is incredible to think the Saints entered the 2021 national draft with only picks 9, 55, 61, 65, 66 and 68.

They nabbed Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera then two academy picks in Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager and picked up Jack Hayes in the summer rookie period.

Wanganeen-Milera grows in stature by the week, Owens’ 10 tackles were arguably more impressive than his 10 goals, Windhager has shown glimpses and Hayes is a long-termer despite his ACL tear.

It allows the Saints to at least kick the tyres of Jordan De Goey as a high-priced free agent, aware if they miss on the free agent their midfield looks well stocked.

Rory Lobb, looking for a three-year deal on around $1.5 million, has strong St Kilda interest given Paddy Ryder turns 35 before round 1 next year.

Karl Amon, whose mum is on staff at St Kilda, is another strongly linked to the Saints.

But for the first time in a while if the Saints whiffed on all three a club with its first three draft picks intact in November is showing genuine development from the younger brigade.

ST KILDA​

It is incredible to think the Saints entered the 2021 national draft with only picks 9, 55, 61, 65, 66 and 68.

They nabbed Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera then two academy picks in Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager and picked up Jack Hayes in the summer rookie period.

Wanganeen-Milera grows in stature by the week, Owens’ 10 tackles were arguably more impressive than his 10 goals, Windhager has shown glimpses and Hayes is a long-termer despite his ACL tear.

It allows the Saints to at least kick the tyres of Jordan De Goey as a high-priced free agent, aware if they miss on the free agent their midfield looks well stocked.

Rory Lobb, looking for a three-year deal on around $1.5 million, has strong St Kilda interest given Paddy Ryder turns 35 before round 1 next year.

Karl Amon, whose mum is on staff at St Kilda, is another strongly linked to the Saints.

But for the first time in a while if the Saints whiffed on all three a club with its first three draft picks intact in November is showing genuine development from the younger brigade.

I'd say 10 goals would have been more impressive. ;)

Jack Sinclair – and his flying mullet – have bolted into All-Australian contention in a career-best season. But there is one goal he will find almost impossible to achieve.

St Kilda star Jack Sinclair would like to fly “under the radar”.
But it’s hard to do that when you’re sporting one of the game’s more impressive mullets.

Even more so when you’re playing the sort of football Sinclair has been producing this year.

Coming off a career-best season last year when he finished second in the club best-and-fairest behind captain Jack Steele after a move to half-back, Sinclair has taken his game to another level in 2022.

As the Saints have confirmed their status as top-four contenders, 27-year-old Sinclair has thrust his name into the All-Australian conversation.

Proving a weapon with his run off half-back, Sinclair is ranked among the elite in the league for disposals (27.7), uncontested possessions (16.7) and metres gained (549), while also rating above average for marks and intercept possessions.

His 2022 numbers across the board are career-high.

Sinclair’s contribution to the Saints’ surge has seen him claim a half-back position in many rolling All-Australian line-ups, but it’s not something that sits comfortably with him just yet.

“The team is not picked yet,” Sinclair said.

“It’s nice to get a bit of recognition, but I wouldn’t mind flying under the radar.

“You never know. You play well and that stuff takes care of itself, but I’m just happy the team is in some good form and we are getting some good wins on the board.”

[PLAYERCARD]Jack Sinclair[/PLAYERCARD] has become a weapon for St Kilda this year. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Jack Sinclair has become a weapon for St Kilda this year. Picture: Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Sinclair gave his All-Australian chances another huge boost with a standout performance in the Saints’ 53-point win over North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

He had 32 disposals, seven inside-50s and 10 marks, setting up the play from the back half as he and Brad Hill (33 disposals) played a pivotal role in helping the Saints break into the top four.

It is the influence of a rejuvenated Hill – and his other fellow defenders – which Sinclair said had been a major factor in his flourishing form this year.

“Obviously, having Hilly (Brad Hill) down there helps,” Sinclair said.

“He gets a little bit of attention and I have probably been freed up a bit as well.

“I think we work well together with the rest of our defenders. I think our back seven has been really consistent this year.

“Guys like Josh Battle, Callum Wilkie, Dougal Howard getting it done every week and Ben Paton taking the tougher role, so me and Hilly can get up the ground a bit.

“I think (backline coach) Corey Enright has been a real positive for us this year, his influence and I feel like our defence – not only the back seven, but our team defence has really improved this year.”

[PLAYERCARD]Jack Sinclair[/PLAYERCARD] is in All-Australian contention after 11 rounds. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images

Jack Sinclair is in All-Australian contention after 11 rounds. Picture: Quinn Rooney/Getty Images
Sinclair said he now had confidence in his role after adjusting to playing in defence last season.

“Half-back was a bit new to me last year and I feel like I am getting pretty comfortable there,” Sinclair said.

“I just think an extended period building my confidence there (had helped).

“I feel like I am building the trust of my teammates as well, they trust to give me the ball and try to use it well. I think the defensive side of my game has improved as well, the way I can get across and support.

“I have probably been flying for too many marks, I don’t need to be doing that at my size.”

Which leads us to that flowing mane.

While not a superstitious player, Sinclair acknowledged it seemed to be working, so he had no plans to lop it off just yet.

“Long term, I’m not sure … it seems to be working all right,” Sinclair said.

“I’m just trying to roll with it and we will see, the feedback is very mixed but you’ve just got to back yourself.”

[PLAYERCARD]Jack Sinclair[/PLAYERCARD] and the Saints have their eye on a top-four spot. Picture: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos/Getty Images

Jack Sinclair and the Saints have their eye on a top-four spot. Picture: Darrian Traynor/AFL Photos/Getty Images
The Saints sit 8-3 ahead of the mid-season bye, but Sinclair said it was too early for the group to get carried away by the prospect of a potential top-four finish.

“It’s been good so far to bounce back after a disappointing year last year,” Sinclair said.

“We don’t want to look too far ahead, but certainly things are trending the right way.

“We have just got to keep playing week to week and get the wins on the board. If we do that then the stuff at the end of the year takes care of itself.”

But consecutive wins without their injured skipper and club champion Steele has highlighted the group’s growing depth and improvement.

“If you would have said last year that the skipper would be out for an extended break we would be in a bit of trouble,” Sinclair said.

“We’ve had some young guys come through, Marcus Windhager, Mitch Owens tonight and obviously having (Zak) Jonesy back, (Brad) Crouchy has stepped up and Seb (Ross) again.

“We’re spreading the load, we don’t need anyone to try and be Steeley, we just need guys to come in and play their role and I think that is what’s made us a good team this year.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back